shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey, I''m new to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fresh2

Rough_Rock
Hey,
I just had a few questions about setting diamonds. I wanted to set some diamonds onto my watch which is stainless steel, but I was told that over time it would leave a black residue? Can anyone confirm if it does and what it is?

Thanks

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2008 1:05:52 PM
Author:Fresh2
Hey,
I just had a few questions about setting diamonds. I wanted to set some diamonds onto my watch which is stainless steel, but I was told that over time it would leave a black residue? Can anyone confirm if it does and what it is?

Thanks
not worth doing. why ? what kind of watch?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Fresh, welcome to the forum!

I would try starting a new thread, with the title somerthing like, "setting diamonds in stainless steel". This is a question that most likely only the real experts (and a handful of posters) would know, so you might have a better chance of getting your questions answered that way. Not everyone reads every thread.
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2008 8:45:45 AM
Author: Ellen
Hi Fresh, welcome to the forum!

I would try starting a new thread, with the title somerthing like, 'setting diamonds in stainless steel'. This is a question that most likely only the real experts (and a handful of posters) would know, so you might have a better chance of getting your questions answered that way. Not everyone reads every thread.
28.gif
Ditto. Also if it is a valuable watch then aftermarket diamonds can affect the value < and possibly make the company refuse to work on it or void any warranty, so there is that to consider also.

I do have a high end watch with factory set diamonds in SS and I have never noticed any blackening....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2008 8:49:33 AM
Author: Lorelei

Also if it is a valuable watch then aftermarket diamonds can affect the value < and possibly make the company refuse to work on it or void any warranty, so there is that to consider also.

I do have a high end watch with factory set diamonds in SS and I have never noticed any blackening....
Good point miss.
41.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is no reason to believe diamonds will discolor stanless steel or that the steel will have any effect on the diamonds. However, setting diamonds into stainless steel requires special tools and special skills whihc most regular diamond setters have little experience with. The setting will look crude to a trained eye even when done right. If you want diamonds in the bezel or in the dial, it is not uncommon to replace the stainless parts with white gold in order to make the setting work more conventional and more perfectly done. For common high end watches such as Rolex you can buy ready made diamond paved components and have a watch guy substitute them into position very quickly. There are factory oficial parts and knock-offs all over the place for certain brands.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for chiming in Dave!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results