shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey guys out there I need your help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
So, Christmas for my DH. He has everything. Doesn''t need tools or clothes. He has no hobbys. The only thing he does regularly is play a multiplayer computer game online. I have already purchased a sound system for the computer and a gaming keyboard (G15) in previous years. So here I am again trying to figure out what to get him. He asks for nothing and really doesn''t want anything. I am forced to think out of the box and get him gifts that are more like toys. So far this year I have ordered him this drum set that plugs into the USB port. Seems pretty cool and I think he will like it. The one that I am hesitating on is the night vision goggles. I am not getting them from Cabelas or anything like that because it is way too expensive for something that will be just used as a toy. I found one at Toys R Us. It is still $70, which to me isn''t cheap. As a guy, that needs nothing, would you appreciate night vision goggles to play with?

Any other suggestions would be awesome. Things have to be really different because really, he needs nothing.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Is this something he''d actually use, or just something ''cool'' to unwrap and when they''re having their man-time he can always say "I''ve got a pair of night vision goggles! Booya!"? Personally, I can''t stand buying things for people if it''s just for the ceremony of buying things, knowing full well it won''t get used or will just collect dust. I know it''s hard to buy things fo the guy that has everything, but there is really nothing he could use as something other than a toy?

I don''t know what his interests are, but there are beer-of-the-month, wine-of-the-month, whatever-of-the-month clubs, maybe that would be an option? Or gamer magazines, since you said that''s what he''s into?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Everyone needs a hobby so you pick one for him
2.gif

There are hobbies you can do together;
Pool cue for billiards
Fishing gear
Snowboarding
Tennis
Golf
RC planes

Or hobbies he can do alone at the house;
Model airplanes, cars
H scale trains and modeling scenery
Robots
Start a collection
Learn computer programming, html, etc.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a guy. But I'm married to a gamer. I feel your pain.
25.gif

Okay, he's a gamer. You said you've gotten him a sound system and a keyboard. Is he on Vent (does he talk in Ventrilo in a guild etc.)? If so, does he have a good headset? Those headsets wear out like mad and he might need/want a new one. (If you take this route, check to see what kind of headphones he already has, and try to get the same style. I like earbuds, DH likes behind the head etc.)

How big is his monitor? Do you have the budget to replace it if it's small? As a gamer, if I was gaming on a 19" and suddenly had a 24", I would be over the moon.

www.thinkgeek.com is your friend. So many dorky options to be had.

Oh! There's a show called The Guild (www.watchtheguild.com) it's HILARIOUS. All about a group of gamers. Amazon.com has the first 2 seasons for like $14.00 (this is going in DH's stocking).

Non-gaming things:

Tickets to a concert? I got the hubs Blue Man Group tickets one year, and Trans Siberian Orchestra tickets the next, and it went over really well.

Does he have an iPod? Would he use one?

Um. That's all I've got at the moment.

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
OMG, I feel your pain. My SO is the most impossible man to shop for because he doesn''t need any clothing, he doesn''t read, plays no sports, etc. When I ask him what he wants, he says, "Nothing." One of these days, I might take him up on that! LOL!

This year, I got him a USB turntable because he has loads of LPs, so he''ll be able to turn them into MP3s. I also happened to find Waterman pens on special at this one little store near us so I got him a fountain pen for $25 and it''s normally $60+.

Some things that I''ve bought him in the last couple of years:

-- a metal detector (he LOVES this!)
-- a laser sight for his pistol (we go target shooting)
-- a new cell phone that I also set up for him
-- Ray Ban sunglasses that I knew he''d never buy himself because of the cost
-- Band of Brothers in a special tin

Good luck!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
LMAO. Okay, I gmail chatted the husband. Here''s the conversation:

me: Question from a PSer shopping for her husband:
As a guy, that needs nothing, would you appreciate night vision goggles to play with?

Adam: OMG. Best wife EVER.

9.gif

So I guess there''s your answer, LOL!!!

And, um, where did you see those again? I may need to look into it.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
gecko- Yes he does talk on vent, but he just lets it come through his speakers, which I don''t mind because sometimes the conversations are funny. He used to use the headphones, but I would hear little pieces of conversations and he would have to stop and tell me eveything so now I hear it all.

He has it all, big a$$ monitor, gaming keyboard, gaming mouse. He has an ipod and an iphone. I will have to look into this The Guild. Sound like a good small gift for him.

Even not getting the professional goggles ended up being expensive for a toy. I got them from Toys R Us believe it or not. You can see up to 50 feet with them, there are different modes, all that good stuff so I hope that he likes them. After tax and shipping it was around $80. They were $69.99 and that was on sale. The brand that makes them is a good brand and there were a few bad and a few good reviews. To me the people that did the bad reviews sounded like they just like to complain.

urseberry- He has a double decker desk just for that. His monitor that I think is a 27" sits on the top level and then kis keyboard and mouse are on the bottom level.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I may look into some of them, but I can''t spend too much.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 12:15:19 PM
Author: radiantquest
gecko- Yes he does talk on vent, but he just lets it come through his speakers, which I don''t mind because sometimes the conversations are funny. He used to use the headphones, but I would hear little pieces of conversations and he would have to stop and tell me eveything so now I hear it all.

He has it all, big a$$ monitor, gaming keyboard, gaming mouse. He has an ipod and an iphone. I will have to look into this The Guild. Sound like a good small gift for him.

Even not getting the professional goggles ended up being expensive for a toy. I got them from Toys R Us believe it or not. You can see up to 50 feet with them, there are different modes, all that good stuff so I hope that he likes them. After tax and shipping it was around $80. They were $69.99 and that was on sale. The brand that makes them is a good brand and there were a few bad and a few good reviews. To me the people that did the bad reviews sounded like they just like to complain.

urseberry- He has a double decker desk just for that. His monitor that I think is a 27'' sits on the top level and then kis keyboard and mouse are on the bottom level.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I may look into some of them, but I can''t spend too much.
Hee hee. I used to think DH was insane until I realized what was going on. Now he''s sucked me in and we''re both in Vent. It''s entertaining.
Based on the DH, I think yours will get a kick out of the goggles!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
What game do you guys play?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results