shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey guys! Need some advice for two diamonds from Blue Nile!

HarryLee

Rough_Rock
I'm choosing from two pear shaped diamonds from Blue Nile. I would really appreciate if someone could offer some advice about it. Here are the links to the two diamonds.

1.62 ct, E, IF, VG cut, EX polish and symmetry, $20662. http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06455329?track=Detlink4

1.35 ct, D, FL, VG cut, EX polish and symmetry, $17007.http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06095095?track=Detlink1

Please ignore the website saying it is unavailable, because I have asked BN to hold it for me. Any idea is appreciated!

Q

Queenie60

Re: Hey guys! Need some advice for two diamonds from Blue Ni

Because it's unavailable, unable to access the information on Bluenile. Can you provide GIA numbers? Or other information? Also, Bluenile does not provide pictures of diamonds and I would recommend that you not purchase a stone without seeing a video picture of the stone and other information. Sight unseen is not a good way to purchase, especially a pear.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto Queenie...you can not buy a fancy cut stone by the numbers. You need images and asets to check on the light returns.
You might try looking at James Allen.

Edit - Also, when you limit yourself so much on your specs you are going to find it difficult to find a nice stone. I actually dont know
what your specs are but I see that you have picked FL/IF and that's really going to limit what you find. With fancy cuts you really
need to put other priorities first, like nice shape, no to minimal bow-tie, lovely faceting pattern and good light return. When you
find a stone that has all that then you hope that the color/clarity is acceptable for you. If you were looking for a round brilliant
it wouldnt be too difficult to find what you're looking for but with fancy cuts, you're in a different ball park.

Here is one that I think is nice
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.71-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-685792

alamana

Shiny_Rock

Agree with what the others said about the general necessity of pictures with picking a pear.

BUT ... that said ... I do really like the table/depth numbers on both of those pears and you aren't going to have a problem with color or with needing to eyeball inclusions because you've chosen colorless IF/F stones. I think there is a good chance both of those stones are winners. Picking such high quality color/clarity with the stones you have eliminated some of the need to see good pics/video.

BUT ... that said ... why on earth pay that much money when you can get a stone for half that price that will look just as good? My 1.5 E/VVS2 pear cost close to half of the price of the 1.35 you've got listed here -- and I knew for sure that it was a stunner based on having seen the video.

Are you married to Blue Nile for some reason or would you like to save a lot of money and do this a better way? Here are some I found with a quick search at Enchanted:

This ($11,900) goes down in color a bit, but it sticks with your desire for IF:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/P150-Q79K29

This one ($9,530) looks very pretty to me, but you'd have to ask them to check to see if the strong blue fluorescence has any adverse effect:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/P151-TACUBE

And because I can't help spending my free time looking at pears, another option ($13,080):

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/P161-LX4GJD

HarryLee

Rough_Rock

Hi Queenie! I'm really really sorry. I thought the specs are still available on the website. The GIA number for the 1.62 ct is 7191828619, and for the 1.35 ct is 5171178033.

I'm a lay person about diamond. All I know is that my wife is really into pear shaped diamond, so I did a little research and try to find best available ones. Could you give me some advice about how to choose a pear shaped diamond that can maximize my dollars? I asked Blue Nile send me some pics, and I'm still waiting for it. They don't provide video like James Allen.

HarryLee

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice! I checked the link, but I didn't see any asets. Do I need to contact customer service to request aset?

As to the specs of the diamond, Ideally I would like to choose a colorless diamond (D-F), and the clarity is above VS1. The budget is around $20K. I don't known much about how to identify a good pear shaped diamond. But I do hope to maximize the dollars as long as the stone is eye clean. Thanks!

HarryLee

Rough_Rock

Thanks Alamana! The reason I chose high grade color and clarity is because I am looking for a stone that is 1.3 ct or bigger. Based on what I learned from my limited research, I think color and clarity is becoming more important as the stone gets bigger. I went to some brand jewelry, and I think the difference is quite obvious between D color and G color.

Q

Queenie60

Hi Harry Lee:

Glad your wife likes a pear shape! I have had mine for 3 years or so and still just love it! I am certainly not an expert however there are a few things you need to determine. First is the color you are looking for - how low of a color can your wife tolerate. My stone is a G and I am perfectly happy with it however, I enjoy a bit of warmth in my diamonds. I find that a D or E is a bit too icy white for my tastes. This is a personal preference. Second, determine the size of stone she wants and what's within your budget. Third, determine what l/w ratio you like best. Some pears are a bit fat and some are more lean and long. I personally prefer a 1.50 to 1.55 l/w ratio. This is determined by dividing the length by the width of the stone. You should start by shopping at Jamesallen.com or enchanteddiamonds.com. They have video pictures of the stones and both companies are reputable and have good customer service. They actually answer the phone when you call! After determining these parameters, you can then begin listing and weeding out the pears that you don't like. Another word of advise, be sure that once you receive the stone there is a good return policy - sometimes the stones at Enchanteddiamonds.com will be a final sale. I encourage you to buy online from a reputable company as you will get a lovely stone and save much money than purchasing from a mall store or local jeweler. It's a fun process, don't get discouraged as you will eventually find the right stone for you. There are so many out there to be had. Also, once you have narrowed it down to a few stones, call on the price scope experts. There are many of them out there and they will certainly assist you to determine which is just right. Also, as far as clarity, entertain the idea of a VS2 and even an eye clean SI-1 stone. You can save a lot of money and why not save some $$ when you can't see the inclusion! Happy shopping. :appl:

alamana

Shiny_Rock

Yes, clarity and color are more important as a stone gets bigger but I think most around here find D/IF overkill (paying for something you can't see). When looking for my pear I looked at shape first (l/w ratio to my taste, nice shoulders, etc), then cut (table/depth/crown). I also wanted eye clean, and color of H or better (which I think is fine for a pear, but of course tastes may differ). I also wanted 1.5 carats and under 10k. It took some looking but eventually I found the perfect cut that sparkles like a MRB. It's an E/VVS2, but I definitely would have gone with lower color/clarity for the cut I found. But it was priced right, so now it's mine. Finding a diamond is great fun.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HarryLee|1447649278|3950155 said:
Hi Queenie! I'm really really sorry. I thought the specs are still available on the website. The GIA number for the 1.62 ct is 7191828619, and for the 1.35 ct is 5171178033.

I'm a lay person about diamond. All I know is that my wife is really into pear shaped diamond, so I did a little research and try to find best available ones. Could you give me some advice about how to choose a pear shaped diamond that can maximize my dollars? I asked Blue Nile send me some pics, and I'm still waiting for it. They don't provide video like James Allen.

If you are new to diamonds then you really need to get help picking a nice pear. It is difficult to find nice pears. At James Allen,
you pick your top 3 choices and request asets. If the stones are in New York area they can usually get them. If the stones are
somewhere else then they wont be able to get them. Asets tell/show how well the stone is reflecting light back out the face of
the stone. I'm going to list a few stones that I think are nice...

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.71-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-685792 this is the one posted above
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.50-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-730322

alamana

Shiny_Rock

I kept to these parameters when looking for my pear: table/55-60%, depth/59-63%, crown/12-15%.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would not buy a pear without at least seeing a video of the stone. Too many are cut with wide shoulders, giving them an unpleasant, bulky look. (See Jessica Simpson's first engagement ring as an example). Some are too skinny, making them look like weapons, rather than teardrops. I also think IF is a waste of money, you're not going to see inclusions in a VS stone. James Allen and Enchanted Diamonds have videos, so I would shop there.

I have a pear but I picked it out of a parcel of about 10 pears of varying dimensions.

HarryLee

Rough_Rock

Hi Queenie! Just got the pictures for the 1.62 ct and 1.35 ct stones I listed. Any ideas or suggestions? I like their shapes. Both of them are around 1.5:1. What about the bowtie effect? Thanks!

1_52.png 1_53.png

HarryLee

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice! I just got the pictures for the stones I listed, and posted it in the thread. Any thoughts about them?

HarryLee

Rough_Rock

Thanks doberman! Just posted the pics. Any comments are helpful! Thanks!

HarryLee

Rough_Rock

Just posted the pics. Any ideas about them? Thanks in advance!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results