shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey CURLYGIRL! ... tips for babies in small spaces

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
What should I know about having a baby in a small space? Space saving tips? "Stuff" that I can do without? Combined function stuff that I just MUST have?

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
This is a SLIGHTLY different topic, but until Curly gets a chance to respond, thought you might want to peruse this thread from a few months ago: 1st Baby in 1br Apartment Hope that helps!
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK, I mined that thread and got Curly''s suggestions:

- a bouncy seat
- pack n play with the bassinet and changing table attachments.
- a high chair thingy ... (Fisher Price)
- an activity mat
- the Bjorn
- stroller

What is this ''pack n'' play'' thing? Can the kid sleep in there, rather than buying a bassinet?

We''ll be moving back home to our condo when the Cub is 3 months old, so we want to go minimal with stuff until then especially.

Oh yeah, that and we''re going to be WAAAAY broke at that point.

38.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
One of my best friends had her first baby as a residential counselor at a college. She and her hubby were in an "apartment" (more like a dorm with a bathroom and minimal kitchen) with very little space. She had a pack and play and little Timmy slept in the basinet at night in their room. It worked really great for them and then the baby was at bed level while they slept, so it was really easy to see if he was just fussing or if he really needed them at night.

They were there for 5 months after he was born before the end of the school year came and she changed positions at the university. The last months, he was in the playpin part, with a thicker mattress thing added.

How cute that your baby is the "cub."
9.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
re: pack n play - although this may not be THE one she''s talking about, i think it''s similar.
it does have a bassinet that the cub can sleep in until the cub is ready for something bigger. and it has a changing table thingy.

pack n play

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a combi PNP which is the only (or was when we bought it) removable bassinet (comes with its own stand) T slept in that until 4 months.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Great leads, ladies! I love that pack n' play idea... and the 'unclutterer' website had some awesome ideas.

Thanks everyone.

And anyway, I probably shouldn't be thinking about this stuff yet. But I've had this feeling allll day that something was going to go wrong with the cub, and I'm determined to THINK positive, even when I have a strange feeling, which means planning ahead!
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am surprised by how many people didn''t do traditional high chairs. I LOVE ours. It has wheels so I wheel her around (and she loves it). Looks cool too IMHO. Plus keeps the mess contained. But space is not an issue for us. I did not buy it until she was 5-6 months though.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I was MIA for a while, it''s kinda hard to get on here over the weekends because I have an active girly who needs to constantly be on the go and if I get on the computer, she wants to type too!

Anyway, looks like you found my old post about what you need in an apartment--epehemery, thanks for linking that. I''m fairly low maintenance and can''t deal with all the gizmos and gadgets that are truly unnecessary, ESPECIALLY with a newborn. Honestly, they don''t know what toys are, they don''t care about the color of the bedding, they don''t even know that they have hands!!! So I think the thing to remember is that you don''t HAVE to have everything before the baby is born. They eat, sleep and poop so you need food (breastmilk or formula), a bassinet or something similar and diapers. Those are the absolute necessities. You will get all the clothes you can possibly want or need as gifts but I know for us girl moms, it''s kind of impossible to not buy things so just make sure you buy them in bigger sizes and think about the seasons when you do that.

The pack n play was great for us in the beginning as it served as changing table and bassinet. Lily slept in her stroller ino ur room for most of the first 3 months because it has a bassinet but I would put her down for naps in the pnp and once she outgrew the stroller bassinet, she slept in the pnp for a few months until we got a crib.

Regarding a high chair, you won''t be feeding any solids till 4 months at the EARLIEST and at that point we just used the Bumbo with the tray attachment. I definitely didn''t want another piece of furniture in our apartment so that is why we got the FP Space Saver high chair thingy that attaches to one of the chairs we already have. It''s great and I highly recommend it for tight squeezes but again, you won''t need it for quite a while so you don''t have to rush out and get it. You''ll have plenty of time to research that stuff when the time comes.

As for toys, more is less. Even at this point, Lily has a lot of crap that people gave us (we actually went through everything yesterday and are donating unused toys) and she doesn''t care about a lot of it. There are a few things that she LOVES but until they can hold things, they don''t need anything. And even then, the simplest things will make them happy. I gave her a wooden spoon and a tupperware and you would think it was the greatest thing on earth! We also just instituted "magic towel rides". She was dragging a towel around this weekend so we put in on the floor, she sits down in the middle of it and DH pulls her around the apartment while she squeals with joy! It works with sheets and blankets too but my point is that it''s the simple things...

So I could go on and on and on, but you get the gist. I really wouldn''t obsess too much over all the extras. Stick to the basics in the beginning and then add as your child grows and you figure out what you REALLY need. People seem to think that life ends once you have a child and you''ll never be able to shop again so you have to have everything before the baby arrives but it''s really quite the opposite. A weekend for us is not complete unless we''ve visited BRU or BuyBuyBaby at least once! And you can always buy stuff online too so don''t worry!

I''m more than happy to give any more suggestions or opinions if you need them but just be forewarned that I tell it like it is!! No nonsense here and no sugarcoating!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Curly. Our cub isn''t even out of the danger zone yet (with some red spotting making me even more cautious). But when my mind drifts toward things to consider possibly worrying about, the idea that we''d need a lot of stuff (given our circumstances next year) is one of them.

So knowing that we can really get by fine with very little makes me soooooo happy! Thanks!

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Wow- I love this thread. Especially the uncluttered website. I only dream of being uncluttered. But this is pretty inspiring. Thanks for all the great info and links!!1

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great thread!

I''m thinking of getting a Stokke Sleepi System, which converts from a bassinet to a junior bed, and everything in between.

It''s a bit on the pricey side, but the thought of using just one bed for 6+ years is somewhat nice.

Considering our lack of hall space for strollers, we''re probably going use baby carriers for a year, and maybe buy a cheap umbrella stroller once the baby can sit in it.

Who knows, maybe I''ll break down in the first few weeks and get a Micralite or some other convertible stroller. It''s also challenging for us to find baby things that fit with our aesthetic. A wooden spoon and tupperware container sounds pretty good to me!
9.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I''m not a huge fan of all those winnie-the-pooh motifs either. I''m all for good design and sleek lines. I bet if we put our heads together, Erica, we could dig up some slick, good design bebe options. I''m thinking scandanavian...

DH and I talked it over, and we are both committed to maintaining minimalism and consumer-skepticism with respect to baby stuff, even when we have more space and more money. All kinds of things become toys when you get creative. My friend is raising her daughter this way (for her, it''s more an environmental thing) and so far it''s working fine.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
Indy--

Yes, consumer-skepticism is ''exactly'' what we''re trying to maintain! I think scandinavian is the best way to go: clean lines, convertibility, and a neutral palette accented with brighter colors.

Our place has a decent sized nursery room (currently an office/guest bedroom), but I really don''t want to add unnecessary clutter to our lives. I have no problem buying toys, especially from small designers, but there are so many things that can keep the baby occupied without all the bells and whistles.

We''ll have to swap notes on design finds/ideas. Right now I''m focusing on the big ticket items like furniture because the thought of researching bottles and pumps is too much at this early stage. Furniture shopping is always fun, even if we don''t buy anything for a long time.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Our stroller folds up and can be slid under a bed. They are so much better than an umbrella stroller, so if you can find the space, definitely get one.

Our highchair is adjustable. It can go up or down so it can slide up under any table once you don''t need the tray anymore. It takes up as much room as a regular chair at the table, but it can also fold up and be stored alongside the wall. It folds to about 10" wide. Also, we still use the tray when we''re doing craft projects. The rim keeps stuff from sliding off and it''s much easier to clean than the whole table.

I''m a huge fan of the bins. Ours take up as much room as a small bookshelf and holds 12 bins. Storage for the small things like blocks, balls, cars seems to be the most difficult, so the bins are a lifesaver for those.

A changing table with baskets under it will provide lots of storage for quite a while. We had the diapers, wipes, blankets, clothes, etc all under the changer.

We have shelves in all the closets. Baby and toddler clothes aren''t long, so you can usually mount shelves under the rod for lots of storage. Games, puzzles, books, art supplies, extra clothes and blankets, even riding toys can be stored on them.

Also, a great storage option is the bench/ottoman that has storage. It''s a toybox, blanket storage, or storage for some of your things so baby has more room.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 5:00:28 PM
Author: erica k
This is a great thread!

I''m thinking of getting a Stokke Sleepi System, which converts from a bassinet to a junior bed, and everything in between.

It''s a bit on the pricey side, but the thought of using just one bed for 6+ years is somewhat nice.
9.gif

Erica, just so you know, most cribs these days have the ability to morph into toddler/twin beds. Even the $200 ones. So I wouldn''t buy a $1200 crib *just* for the convertible aspect...there are many many options that are much more inexpensive if all you are looking for is that feature!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 2:46:29 PM
Author: neatfreak

This is a great thread!

9.gif

Erica, just so you know, most cribs these days have the ability to morph into toddler/twin beds. Even the $200 ones. So I wouldn''t buy a $1200 crib *just* for the convertible aspect...there are many many options that are much more inexpensive if all you are looking for is that feature!
Very true... our crib converts into a toddler bed, and then a full-size bed after that... so hopefully we can use the same one for the next 18 years! Plus no need to buy special mattresses or bedding for each of those phases, which I''ve heard can be a pain with the Stokke.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 2:46:29 PM
Author: neatfreak

This is a great thread!

I'm thinking of getting a Stokke Sleepi System, which converts from a bassinet to a junior bed, and everything in between.

It's a bit on the pricey side, but the thought of using just one bed for 6+ years is somewhat nice.

9.gif

Erica, just so you know, most cribs these days have the ability to morph into toddler/twin beds. Even the $200 ones. So I wouldn't buy a $1200 crib *just* for the convertible aspect...there are many many options that are much more inexpensive if all you are looking for is that feature!

I know most cribs convert into a toddler bed, but I thought it might be nice to have something that starts off as a bassinet that I can wheel around the house without having to buy a play yard. I'm also looking for something that is more in tune with our aesthetics. Those pack 'n plays are not really an option for us. So, I'd probably end up buying a bassinet and then getting rid of it after a few months.

I'd rather spend more money on a well-designed, well-made item that I can use with minor adjustments for many years than keep buying cheaper stuff. I'm still looking for cheaper options, but for me, a bassinet-crib-bed combo would be ideal.

ETA

Ephemery--
That's true, I would have to buy three separate mattresses, which would be a pain. I just hate the thought of buying all this 'stuff', only to get rid of it later. It's not really that I'd lose money in re-selling, it's more about not wanting to consume so much.

ETA again
Oh, I guess I can buy everything I need to convert from a bassinet to junior bed for 'only' $1500.
20.gif

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
erica, why don''t you just put the baby in a crib from day one and avoid the whole bassinet situation? You don''t need to have a bassinet and it will save you a lot of heartache and money. The Stokke may be aesthetically pleasing if that''s your style but like ephemery said, it''s really impractical and expensive in the long run when you won''t have as many options for mattresses and bedding. I would rather put that cash towards more practical stuff. And I''m not sure why a pack n play is not an option for you because it truly is one of the greatest things out there both for home and traveling. Once you''re done with it, it folds up into a bag and gets stowed away. We loved using it until we got our crib--which, by the way, is convertible and did not cost an arm and a leg. Just my humble opinion, since this thread was asking for my suggestions!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
I know most cribs are convertible, and much cheaper than $1000+(I sound like a broken record
37.gif
), but I thought it would be nice to have a bassinet that I could take around the house with me. Also, I''ve been able to find bedding that works with this mattress type, so that isn''t an issue for us. Apparently most people don''t see this sleep system as a benefit, especially at this price point.

I know someone who has used the Stokke and really loved it (she isn''t a spendy person in general, unlike me
2.gif
). I''m still in the early stages, so it isn''t like I''m set on one particular type of crib. I''ll probably end up with a crib/toddler bed and a bassinet for the early days.

The pack''n play isn''t an option because I''ve yet to find one that I like. My husband is much stricter than me about design, and he has been actively vetoing many of my tentative selections because they aren''t ''modern'' enough.

So, we have these self-imposed constraints of aesthetics, minimalism, functionality, and more aesthetics!
26.gif

Sure, you could say that babies require stuff that one may or may not like having in the house, but that doesn''t mean making unnecessary compromises. Right now we''re trying to figure out what''s necessary, and what isn''t. I''m not convinced yet that a play yard is for us.

If I didn''t have it while growing up, and neither did my husband, then maybe the baby won''t need it, either. There are so many gadgets and accessories on the market, and I''m sure many of them make our lives easier and amuse countless babies, but right now I''m trying to find a happy medium.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ephemery1, I think you are really going to love *our* crib
2.gif
1.gif
Very sleek and modern. I get so many compliments on it and cannot wait to see it in white!

Curly, I know your advice will be SOOOO valuable for those PSers in smaller spaces! I cannot wait to hear about the solutions you come up with for your second!!! BTW we decided against the skip hop mat and got a larger area rug. Cheaper in the long run and won''t fall apart (and have her chew on it like in the reviews). For free I would have loved one! But since we don''t have such a connection we would have bought two
6.gif
So I think it should be okay right?

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, thank you, my dear friend! I think you made an excellent choice! The playspot is so not worth the money--we''ll probably retire ours before #2 comes along. You''ll be much better off with a rug. I''m anxious to see how I make room for the second one as well! I haven''t given it an ounce of thought yet. I figure it will all work itself out...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Curly, you are so laid back I LOVE it! Haha! Most people would be freaking out. I know you will make it work. The playspot is so cute such a shame!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 4:57:54 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Curly, you are so laid back I LOVE it! Haha! Most people would be freaking out. I know you will make it work. The playspot is so cute such a shame!

DITTO. Curly I envy your calmness! I am freaking out about fitting us all and we have a 2 bedroom with 1200 sq. ft! You are a goddess!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 4:10:51 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
ephemery1, I think you are really going to love *our* crib
2.gif
1.gif
Very sleek and modern. I get so many compliments on it and cannot wait to see it in white!

Curly, I know your advice will be SOOOO valuable for those PSers in smaller spaces! I cannot wait to hear about the solutions you come up with for your second!!! BTW we decided against the skip hop mat and got a larger area rug. Cheaper in the long run and won't fall apart (and have her chew on it like in the reviews). For free I would have loved one! But since we don't have such a connection we would have bought two
6.gif
So I think it should be okay right?
Tacori, I can't wait to see it either!! Every time I talk about the crib or show people pictures, I tell them that I "know" somebody who has it already, and she loves hers. I don't bother explaining what it means to "know" someone through Pricescope... outsiders don't understand.
2.gif

And Curly, I actually do the exact same thing with you... tell people I know somebody who makes it work with 1 baby and another on the way, in a living situation very similar to ours. I am honestly not remotely concerned about the space/1-bedroom issue. I can think of plenty of advantages to staying in our apartment here in the city, and the disadvantages don't seem like a big deal at all. Right now, at this point in our lives, it just feels "right" for us... so we'll stay flexible and adjust things as we go along. Just like all parents do!

Erica, if you'd really like to have a portable bassinet, have you considered just choosing a stroller with a bassinet feature to use in the house as well? We are also attempting to keep things as minimal as possible, so that's most likely what we'll do (at first, then maybe invest in a PNP or cosleeper if needed).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
eph, I do the same thing! I figure people will think I am crazy if I same someone online. So I just say "a friend"!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee, I always tell people that I "know" someone who did so and so! Nobody needs to know HOW I know you guys!!!

Tacori and neatfreak, I refuse to get worked up over this stuff. It''s just STUFF. Honestly, maybe I''m becoming a crotchety old lady these days or maybe being a mother has made me hyper-sensitive, but the only thing that really matters to me is having a healthy baby. I know it''s so cliche but I keep hearing horrible stories about babies and I just think HEALTH is the most important thing. I guess since this is my second pregnancy too I''m just not hung up on all this crap since it''s not such a foreign concept anymore. I just KNOW that somehow everything will work out in my little apartment and we''ll manage just fine for a while!

erica, I was also going to suggest what ephemery said about the stroller with the bassinet--Lily slept in her Bugaboo for the first 3 months--but I know you''re not keen on getting a big stroller right away so I don''t know if that means anything for you. Just another way to kill two birds with one stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results