shape
carat
color
clarity

Hesitate to post but I cant help

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got a quote back from DKJ to set my FY marquise the cost is way more than what I anticipated. He Reset my pear (bezel with milgrain in18k gold bangle ) and 18k gold dangle earrings ( 5 emeralds set in hex with milgrain last year.

The quote for the solitaire is more than the cost of the bangle and earrings combine. Solitaire is platinum with 18k head. This is the inspiration pic I sent him.
5FE4A653-D401-43B6-8338-254492DD99BC.jpeg

Can it simply be the cost of platinum? Did his cost go up? I don’t think he knows I am on PS...

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I have found them reasonable. I would write an email to Amy and explain that your budget is X, and what can be done to make the ring come in at budget. You might then be better able to understand the price difference. Remember too that they have to pay their CAD designers to create this, as well as the bench that actually makes it, it's not just the price of the gold/platinum....

If you do write them, be aware that they're at the jewelry show in Vegas right now, so I wouldn't expect an immediate response.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a quote back from DKJ to set my FY marquise the cost is way more than what I anticipated. He Reset my pear (bezel with milgrain in18k gold bangle ) and 18k gold dangle earrings ( 5 emeralds set in hex with milgrain last year.

The quote for the solitaire is more than the cost of the bangle and earrings combine. Solitaire is platinum with 18k head. This is the inspiration pic I sent him.
5FE4A653-D401-43B6-8338-254492DD99BC.jpeg

Can it simply be the cost of platinum? Did his cost go up? I don’t think he knows I am on PS...

Please, please consider reaching out to Erika Winters.

She is absolutely lovely to work with, and she’s a very small operation - every vendor who copies her work is taking funding that is rightfully hers - and that she, like any boutique vendor just getting started, really needs.

Erika is happy to work with clients on customisation, and as the designer who created the original, she’s in the best possible position to advise on alterations. Her pricing is most likely going to be higher than Klass’, but that’s because she’s covering design costs as well as (superb) manufacturing expenses.

She is also in Vegas this week.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received a quote to set my aqua with sidestones from Brian Gavin in platinum and it was the same cost as when I set my sapphire and diamond ring from HPD last year, so I don’t think plat prices have gone up. (For both of these, I had my sidestones, so it was strictly making the setting and setting the stones).

Can you give us a range of what they quoted you?

I agree with yessie though, if you want an Erica Winter’s ring, save up and get an Erica Winters ring.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please, please consider reaching out to Erika Winters.

She is absolutely lovely to work with, and she’s a very small operation - every vendor who copies her work is taking funding that is rightfully hers - and that she, like any boutique vendor just getting started, really needs.

Erika is happy to work with clients on customisation, and as the designer who created the original, she’s in the best possible position to advise on alterations. Her pricing is most likely going to be higher than Klass’, but that’s because she’s covering design costs as well as (superb) manufacturing expenses.

She is also in Vegas this week.
I was not aware that she will work with stone I already have. My intent is not to copy her design but I like the simple, straightforward aesthetics.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found DK's prices to be very fair... especially considering the quality you'll get. Do you mind giving the quote (or close to it)?

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is a bit over 2k.
This is for including V prongs or possibly 3 tiny claws to protect the points of the marquis. I also have not decided whether to go EW...

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Well, for that delicate of work, I can see the cost. It will take more finishing time and effort.

I would go with Erika Winters too personally if you canI.I would ask if she would work with your stone.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just emailed Erika Winters for a quote. Am I correct to assume that what I am hearing from you wise ladies is that the premium is well worth for the result in craftsmanship and design, particularly for this delicate/refined design style?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no doubt DK's uber bench would execute an impeccable inspired-by-design, however, like other posters have recommended, if you really want the EW aesthetic, then you should buy from EW. Keep in mind her quotes will be easily double if not more like triple DK's quote...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe he is trying to discourage copying other artists by upping the price where it becomes prohibitive or it makes just as much
sense to go with the original creator. Just speculating. I know there has been an uproar lately with DKJ coping other people's
designs.

Or, maybe its a typo and they put a 2 in the thousands spot when they meant a 1:P2.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@tyty333 I thought about that possibility. I don't think he likes the fall out and maybe that's what he is doing, instead of saying no if he thinks he is being asked to make something too similar.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
My last ring from DK was $2750 for platinum and 6 small diamonds. He priced it out at 18k for me also and it was $250 less. It was really beautifully done. I feel like his work warrants the price and I will continue to use him in the future.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think DKJ makes every effort not to copy the work of other designers. But if it's just the clean Erika Winters aesthetic you like, I'm guessing you'll need to use DKJ's uber bench. He's slow and expensive, but his prong work is glorious.

I agree - if you want that exact ring, go with EW. But if you just want that general aesthetic, you'll need to go with someone with a top notch setter. And that's going to cost you money regardless. I got a quote from DKJ last week, and it was well over 2k, and this was one of their own designs - so no premium to discourage anyone from copying other designers, or anything like that; it was simply an expensive setting.

I don't think there's anything particularly unique about that EW setting, but her work is gorgeous and meticulous, and if you want it, be prepared to pay double a DKJ quote. If you want to use DKJ and get a cheaper quote, ask if they have a cheaper setter you can use. But the quality won't be as good, and you should be prepared for that.

I'll take the plunge one day and get an EW setting. But I need the diamond first to warrant such magnificence! :))

Good luck with your project!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think DKJ makes every effort not to copy the work of other designers. But if it's just the clean Erika Winters aesthetic you like, I'm guessing you'll need to use DKJ's uber bench. He's slow and expensive, but his prong work is glorious.
If the ring will be made by his uber bench I completely understand the premium, I guess I should confirm this with him.
I don't think there's anything particularly unique about that EW setting, but her work is gorgeous and meticulous,
I must admit I agree with you on this. I am really looking a clean sharp 8 prong setting with tapered shank. I am not that concern with the signature gallery design at all. And I came from an architecture background and believed in good design and supporting fellow creative minds. In fact I have another ring in the works with a custom carved setting.
I'll tI'll take the plunge one day and get an EW setting. But I need the diamond first to warrant such magnificence! :))
This is so true, the cost of the setting per DK quote is almost 70% of the FY diamond purchase on somewhat of whim, so yeah definitely affects which way I want to go!

Thank you so much @mrs-b your input is very much appropriated!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just emailed Erika Winters for a quote. Am I correct to assume that what I am hearing from you wise ladies is that the premium is well worth for the result in craftsmanship and design, particularly for this delicate/refined design style?

Both @Gussie and I have this exact setting - it’s a really lovely piece and it’s impeccably made! I posted macro pics in my thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ty-4-01-j-vs1-in-erika-winters-margot.231053/

I’ve not seen Klass’ Uber bench work in person, but the pieces @mrs-b has shared with us on here look beautifully finished. So I would not doubt that you are going to receive exceptional workmanship either way. A few vendors have this same bench model - multiple options to suit multiple budgets! However, I always recommend reaching out to the original designer for iterations or customisations, because the person who came up with the original is always the person who will have the best eye for adjusting nuance to taste and scale. Whilst all Margots have the same fundamental design, if you look at various specimens you’ll see how the design changes - shoulder concavity and length, basket height - based on stone width, stone depth, shank style, and finger size... Just one example ::)

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must admit I agree with you on this. I am really looking a clean sharp 8 prong setting with tapered shank. I am not that concern with the signature gallery design at all. And I came from an architecture background and believed in good design and supporting fellow creative minds. In fact I have another ring in the works with a custom carved setting.

@Rubybrick -

I'm guessing that if the DKJ quote is 70% of the diamond purchase, the EW setting will be at least equal to the price of the diamond. I got a quote for one of her settings - no side stones - and it was 6k. But, as I said, her work is stunning - as good as it gets, in my opinion - and if you reach a place in your jewelry collecting where you want absolutely top shelf - AND if you can afford it - I'd go with EW.

However, as you said, a clean, sharp, 8 prong setting with a tapered shank has been done by EVERYbody, so if that's what you're looking for, I don't think you're appropriating anyone's specific design, and there are a bunch of people who could do something beautiful for you. I have to say, if EW is out of your budget, have you considered CvB? I find her prong work to be VERY clean and the lines of her settings are very beautiful. There have been some complaints about her lately - mostly due to her time line - but she turns out beautiful pieces. Worth considering. Her pieces tend to be pretty delicate, tho, so if you want something more substantial, you'll have to stipulate shank dimensions etc

(Insert: @yssie - do you know the standard thickness of EW's shanks? I was very surprised to receive a preloved CvB piece a short while back, and to realize that the shank was so thin. EW does pieces at least as delicate, but her shanks *seem* to be more substantial. Can you tell me roughly how wide and thick your Margot band is? Or any piece, for that matter. I really am getting close to being in the market for my own EW piece, and the idea of getting it home and realizing the shank was 1.5mm thick is my idea of a living nightmare!)

And finally, Rubybrick - you have a carved ring in the works?? Now you're talking my language! Care to spill some beans? Jeweler Cheyenne Weil is my particular passion and I hope to have one of her pieces in the next year or two. GORGEOUS!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'd love to know about the carved piece too.

I also would suggest asking Caysie if you just want to have solitaire with the elements. Do you like any of her designs? I just worked with her and she was on time, very responsive and it was easy.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, My EW Margot is 1.8mm but somehow it feels substantial. The EW bands I have are more delicate than other bands I have yet they also feel sturdy enough. The height of each band is noticeably lower than my CvB, DK, and other bands.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, My EW Margot is 1.8mm but somehow it feels substantial. The EW bands I have are more delicate than other bands I have yet they also feel sturdy enough. The height of each band is noticeably lower than my CvB, DK, and other bands.

Hmmm - this would bother me, so thank you SO much for this info, @Gussie! Opening the box after the $6k setting arrives is NOT the time to find out you wish you'd spent more time hammering out the details! I wonder if she's open to switching up stats? I really did want to work with her at some point....

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm - this would bother me, so thank you SO much for this info, @Gussie! Opening the box after the $6k setting arrives is NOT the time to find out you wish you'd spent more time hammering out the details! I wonder if she's open to switching up stats? I really did want to work with her at some point....

I have to admit, it took some time getting used to how delicate the work is. But when you stack several bands like I do, it is wide enough for my man hands! :lol:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
[

And finally, Rubybrick - you have a carved ring in the works?? Now you're talking my language! Care to spill some beans? Jeweler Cheyenne Weil is my particular passion and I hope to have one of her pieces in the next year or two. GORGEOUS!

So funny! Yes Cheyenne is working on a peach blossom solitaire for my ruby Cab. Definitely a case where setting is more than the gem! But I’d wear one of her rings with out any gems :lol:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
if you look at various specimens you’ll see how the design changes - shoulder concavity and length, basket height - based on stone width, stone depth, shank style, and finger size... Just one example ::)
I can see how all of these play together to make a great design, not unlike well tailored classic suits, in fact the simpler the design the more important those elements are. And I know my eyes can tell, I recently
Went to a local vintage store and they have 2 trinity rolling band on display, and identified the Cartier one right away! (Mark was invisible from the display). Alas, this marquis diamond is on the relative small side, so it won’t be the holy grail piece so to speak. It is sounding like an EW setting is out of the budget for this one, and I will just have to live with it being less than the ideal design. Perhaps I will be lucky enough to have Her work in the future!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love David's work. When you say the EW setting is out of budget have you decided on another design? Also- I can't wait to see pics of your ruby ring when it is done. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a bit over 2k.
This is for including V prongs or possibly 3 tiny claws to protect the points of the marquis. I also have not decided whether to go EW...

That sounds about right... also, I imagine EW will be at least 150% more than that. I believe her Margot is like $4-5K.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others have mentioned, you should consider CVB... I have her Jovyn solitaire, and I couldn't be happier (modified petite tab prongs).

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erika quoted me $5500 for a Margot in platinum a few months ago.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results