shape
carat
color
clarity

Hero Came Home Today

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My new dog, "Hero", came home today. It is Bastille Day, so I should be able to remember the date. ;)) He is pretty darn wonderful (and I should be able to put up pictures since I have mastered how a camera works, just not how to get the photos from it onto the computer). We only had one glitch so far. Our neighbors let their miniature something or other roam not only onto our property but into our fence enclosed area. (It is so small it can go under the fence.) Hero is very, very young, active, and strong, and although my daughter had him on a leash because they were about to leave to go for a walk, he seems to have taken the tiny dog in his mouth-although he did not draw blood-before his owner/mother rescued it from the jaws of death. She left our property screaming "I knew this wasn't going to work" (huh?) and "Bad dog!" at our dog. My daughter called after her, "This was on our property!".

I didn't think my daughter should have called anything after her. I wanted to go make sure their dog was OK (although they said he wasn't bleeding). But it was self-evident that the dog was on our property. No one had invited them. Their dogs (multiple and all tiny) often come here (under the fence) and poop on our lawn and they come running over chasing their dogs. I grew up in a town where dogs roamed freely and people were neighborly. I used to give heir little dogs treats, but send them home. And I watch my driveway when I back up my Jeep so as not to run them over!

But now my daughter is afraid to walk Hero. I am showing her that he just needs obedience classes and I started training him today in our enclosed front yard. He already knows "sit". If we are walking (and he is pulling like crazy on the leash, which he does) he will sit if I give him the command "sit". That stops the pulling. He is not ready for prime time, but I see that this is going to work. He is very smart and he wants to please. He just needs to learn.

So not only do I need to work with the dog (who is educable) but with my daughter (who is moody, stubborn, and prone to giving up at the first obstacle she encounters). The call for obedience training has already been placed. Please wish us all luck!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Link to thread that came before this one...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/prayers-good-wishes-and-dust-all-accepted.241594/

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 4.40.06 PM.png

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screw that little dog! Hero did great by not making him a chew toy!!!

Tell your daughter she’s lucky to have such a protective boy!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome home Hero! Handsome boy.

A younger lab is going to mouth everything, even another dog. Our Heidi is a Shepard/possibly Lab/Mix. She mouthed EVERYTHING, including the kitten we brought home when she was over a year. She LOVES him to this day. He just spent the first few days/couple weeks with us wet from her kisses :) (okay, not ALL day, but I think you know what I'm saying. She loves him, he's still not so sure, 8 years later!)

Is the fence yours? If so, then maybe you want to do something to keep the neighbor's dog from getting under it. If it's hers, then she needs to do that.

And yes, those lessons are going to be invaluable, for the dog, your daughter and you! (kids can be so much harder than dogs, can't they?)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Much success to you Deb!! (with your neighbor I mean...lol seems like Hero is smarter than her....:P2)

cheers--Sharon

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for Hero coming home! Neighbors that do not control their animals are so frustrating. Hopefully she keeps hers at home now. Why is it her issue at all to know it wasn't going to work? He's your dog and it's your house? :nono:

Pics when you can because I would love to see him.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new fur baby.
You MUST plug up that gap under the fence, just get some bricks or paving blocks, it is going to end badly if the Neighbours dogs continue to enter your yard. Yes it will be their fault because it is your yard, but trust me, just stop it before the accident happens. You won’t be able to relax or let Hero out in your yard if you’re worried a little yapper from next door comes in and gets mouthed.
Walk with your daughter as she walks Hero to help build up her confidence. Just start with “around the block” Hero has to transition into his new life with your family and that takes time. Of course obedience classes but encourage your daughter (once that fence gap is fixed) to throw ball etc in the yard to build up the relationship.
However as a mother I can tell you the kids are always dead keen to get the dog but once home the novelty wears off and it’s always Mum (or Dad) who ends up doing most the work!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the support. I should point out that my daughter is no baby; she is going to turn 26 next month. However, she does have emotional problems that keep her from having the best judgement and I can never go into an endeavor expecting her to do what she has said she will do. I just wanted to be clear that I am not dealing with a small child. I have already been through the small child stuff (and I was lucky that my daughter's emotional problems had not started during her childhood so I just went through normal kid stuff with her). I just wanted to say that I know that even normal kids do not follow through and mothers get stuck with dog care! Been there, done that with our first Lab. My daughter was in kindergarten when we adopted him, though, so her father and I did not even try to elicit any major promises from her. It was clear she could not walk a 110 pound, strong dog! Now it is different.

I appreciate all the advice as well as the support and am taking note.

Deb :wavey:

Reactions: AV_

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the support. I should point out that my daughter is no baby; she is going to turn 26 next month. However, she does have emotional problems that keep her from having the best judgement and I can never go into an endeavor expecting her to do what she has said she will do. I just wanted to be clear that I am not dealing with a small child. I have already been through the small child stuff (and I was lucky that my daughter's emotional problems had not started during her childhood so I just went through normal kid stuff with her). I just wanted to say that I know that even normal kids do not follow through and mothers get stuck with dog care! Been there, done that with our first Lab. My daughter was in kindergarten when we adopted him, though, so her father and I did not even try to elicit any major promises from her. It was clear she could not walk a 110 pound, strong dog! Now it is different.

I appreciate all the advice as well as the support and am taking note.

My daughter is 17 going on 4 most the time. Always our babies no matter the age. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have pictures because my daughter insisted that I take some of her and the dog. These are the ones she cropped and approved.

July142018A.jpg July142018B.jpg July142018C.jpg July142018D.jpg

He is very alert and very smart just like our last Lab. He is, in terms of temperament, the polar opposite of of my beloved Newfie, Griffin. Griffin was so laid back that one pizza delivery man asked my daughter if he was alive. (No. We always store dead dogs on our front lawn.) He let people step over him on the front walk. And now we have this little dickens!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Deb!!! He is beautiful, so is your daughter! You gave him a great name. I’m with @Bron357 and would definitely get bricks or pavers to fill in the places the neighbors dogs come into your yard thru. Why can’t people be responsible with their pets?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Welcome home!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hero is so cute! :kiss2: Congrats on your new addition to the family.

Sorry to hear about the neighbor situation. I hope you’re/they’re able to do something about the fence.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have pictures because my daughter insisted that I take some of her and the dog. These are the ones she cropped and approved.

He is very alert and very smart just like our last Lab. He is, in terms of temperament, the polar opposite of of my beloved Newfie, Griffin. Griffin was so laid back that one pizza delivery man asked my daughter if he was alive. (No. We always store dead dogs on our front lawn.) He let people step over him on the front walk. And now we have this little dickens!

He’s beautiful (as is your girl/ woman btw).
I read about his story on your other thread (poor baby) so I’m sure he will have the most wonderful life now he is part of your family.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He’s absolutely stunningly handsome :love:

As someone who had problems with neighbours letting their dogs come on to my front garden and poop everywhere, I feel your pain.

My other neighbours’s boxer did what Hero did, grabbed one of their mutts and proceeded to toy with it, didn’t hurt it, just didn’t appreciate it being in ‘her’ garden. The owners reaction was exactly the same, unbelievable!

I’m sure you’ve already thought of this, but we’ve found a harness to be an effective way of dealing with a large pulling dog, something like the K9 Julius. I’m not a fan of them pulling on anything attached to their necks, and none of mine have liked a Halti or head collar type of thing.

He looks very intelligent, so I’m sure it won’t be long before he’s well trained and a model citizen :D

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the compliments on my new boy's looks. Last night he slept upstairs with us after having learned to climb stairs for the first time (and we have a very steep set of stairs). This morning he couldn't get down the stairs, but after an excruciating 45 minutes to an hour of patient instruction and encouragement, he finally did them. Now he is running up and down the stairs as if he had done them all his life! He is amazing!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mine Tiger did the same thing with the neighbors "kids" dog.
They came running and yelling and I went out to see what was going on.
Tiger let the dog go and the dog started to run to its owners then stopped and ran back to play some more.
The stupid dog thought it was fun and tried to run over to Tiger every time they let it out the weekend they were there.

I will admit to laughing about it after I knew the other dog was ok. I ran out and there was a stub white tail going a mile a minute sticking out the side of his mouth.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My new dog, "Hero", came home today. It is Bastille Day, so I should be able to remember the date. ;)) He is pretty darn wonderful (and I should be able to put up pictures since I have mastered how a camera works, just not how to get the photos from it onto the computer). We only had one glitch so far. Our neighbors let their miniature something or other roam not only onto our property but into our fence enclosed area. (It is so small it can go under the fence.) Hero is very, very young, active, and strong, and although my daughter had him on a leash because they were about to leave to go for a walk, he seems to have taken the tiny dog in his mouth-although he did not draw blood-before his owner/mother rescued it from the jaws of death. She left our property screaming "I knew this wasn't going to work" (huh?) and "Bad dog!" at our dog. My daughter called after her, "This was on our property!".

I didn't think my daughter should have called anything after her. I wanted to go make sure their dog was OK (although they said he wasn't bleeding). But it was self-evident that the dog was on our property. No one had invited them. Their dogs (multiple and all tiny) often come here (under the fence) and poop on our lawn and they come running over chasing their dogs. I grew up in a town where dogs roamed freely and people were neighborly. I used to give heir little dogs treats, but send them home. And I watch my driveway when I back up my Jeep so as not to run them over!

But now my daughter is afraid to walk Hero. I am showing her that he just needs obedience classes and I started training him today in our enclosed front yard. He already knows "sit". If we are walking (and he is pulling like crazy on the leash, which he does) he will sit if I give him the command "sit". That stops the pulling. He is not ready for prime time, but I see that this is going to work. He is very smart and he wants to please. He just needs to learn.

So not only do I need to work with the dog (who is educable) but with my daughter (who is moody, stubborn, and prone to giving up at the first obstacle she encounters). The call for obedience training has already been placed. Please wish us all luck!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Link to thread that came before this one...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/prayers-good-wishes-and-dust-all-accepted.241594/

In my world, I would have said something, too. There’s a clear, distinct line between “neighborly”, and “mannerly”. Your neighbors have no manners. Their dog trespassed onto your property. Ummm...that’s a welcome snack to your big dog. If they don’t like it, they need to keep their dogs off your property.
It’s nice that you’re “welcoming” of others, but they have no respect for boundaries. That would have been nipped a long time ago, here.
I certainly hope that after her dogs decided to invade your privacy and popped on your lawn, they not only retrieved their animals, but their feces, as well. No way I’m doing someone else’s job.
Hero ROCKS!! I doubt, after a few encounters with him, the little ankle biters will dare to be so bold!! :lol-2:
Good luck with the obedience training!! He’s a beauty!!! :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations Deb! What a handsome boy and what a beautiful DD too. Beautiful family and wishing you all the best and much happiness with your new family member. He is just such a sweet baby.:kiss2:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your daughter is gorgeous! I think Hero is a good boy, he's probably just waiting to learn how to do everything. I know he's in great hands with you. Definitely the best part of his life is starting right now. Of course he's very excited.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, he’a So cute. Enjoy him.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Griffin was so laid back that one pizza delivery man asked my daughter if he was alive. (No. We always store dead dogs on our front lawn.) He let people step over him on the front walk. And now we have this little dickens!

Oh my gosh Nic does this every day laying between the two couches so everyone has to step over him to get to the living room.

Hero is beautiful and what a good boy!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Beautiful family! He looks like one very happy (big) dickens!!

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's a great looking dog! :love:
So ... this might sound extreme (kinda is, don't care) but I have a no trespassing sign that also says "dog WILL bite" Now, she generally will not hurt anything that comes into the yard, but she's a dog and therefore can be a little unpredicatable (she usually doesn't bark at people and in fact loves most people but has had occassions where she barked visciously at someone that even raised MY hackles!!) But the sign sends the message that if people cross the line and she decides she wants to take a chunk out of you or whatever comes into her yard...nmf-aoy.

For the neighbor :boohoo: no big loss. maybe she'll control her dog now.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, I hope you will continue to give updates on how Hero is adjusting to his new life. It’s amazing how quickly they take over our hearts!

@Matthews1127 Little Ankle Biters are the boldest. I know, I have one. They laugh so loud at her when I take her to the vet. All seven pounds of her barks the loudest at the biggest dogs. The big dogs look at her like she is insane. She is the sweetest little thing but if another dog gets anywhere near me, she’s turns into Cujo.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy Hero has found his forever home with you and he is a beauty! As an owner of an ankle biting little dog I KNOW to keep him confined in my yard and on a leash. To his peril he is not intimidated by large dogs so I need to be smarter than he is. Hope your neighbors use the same logic.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is a great learner. He was barking at everyone and I just spent a lot of time with him in the yard. When people came by on skateboards and on bicycles or with dogs, instead of leaping at them ferociously and barking, as he was doing, I got him calmed down and used to the area. I just stayed with him-I now keep him on a leash in the yard-and stroked him when I saw someone coming. I said, "It's OK. It's OK." softly and stroked him and told him "That's a bicycle" or "That's a skateboard" or "Those are just people walking". If neighbors were in the yard across the street, I told him their names a few times. He was fabulous. I said, "Good boy! Good boy!" whenever he didn't bark. He really, really calmed down just within a matter of hours. And we walked the property. When I saw places in the fence where he could get under the fence I said, "No! No!" and when he tried to get up on it I said the same thing. I will not rely on this, but he wants to be good. By the end of the day when we made our rounds instead of poking his head under the fence in his favorite spot, he just looked at it longingly and kept walking with me! :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww! Welcome to Hero and congrats to you! He’s beautiful (as is your DD!). I’m glad he seems motivated to please and eager to learn! Can’t ask for more than that! Looking forward to more updates!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's a cutie and clearly super smart!

Your neighbor needs to redneckognize that they are fur parents to DOGS not rodents, and as such, shouldn't be letting them burrow under someone's fence to do rodent-y things.

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can only imagine what Hero really went through, but it sounds like he found his happy ending. Obviously, he’s a smart dog, but you sounds like a wonderful owner. His training should be easy peasy. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results