shape
carat
color
clarity

Helzberg Masterpiece or an alternative?

GDF

Rough_Rock
Hey, I need some help deciding whether or not to keep the e-ring I just got my girlfriend.
I bought it from Helzberg, it cost me $2273. Here are the stats on it -

1/2ctw
AGS certified
-Light, Polish, Symmetry = AGS Ideal 0
-Color Grade = I
-Clarity Grade = si1
-Center stone = 0.306 cts
This is what helzberg says about it -
"DIAMOND MASTERPIECE 1/2CT TW ENGAGEMENT RING IN 18K GOLD
AGS® Graded
18 karat white gold engagement ring with a round brilliant cut Helzberg Diamond Masterpiece® Degas Diamond® and round brilliant cut accent diamonds weighing approximately 1/2 carat TW
Accompanied by an AGS grading report"
----
I'm going to be proposing to my girlfriend in another country, and that's where we'll be living, so I won't be able to use any of the chain store's warranty policies. So I'm really looking for a ring that will be VERY secure from any diamonds falling out. After spending lots of hours inside local jewelry stores, this was my favorite. I really like the neck/collar of diamonds. I also love that it's such a beautifully cut diamond, so it shines like crazy!

I'd need to have the ring by June 24th, so I'm running out of time to get a better ring online.

I hope you guys can help me out!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

GDF

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm really liking your idea of making it a solitaire and upgrading the setting later. I never thought of that! I really maybe should focus more on a bigger center stone, since that's gotta be the most secure diamond!

I'd still like to hear what some other people have to say, but thanks so much for making me think of trying something totally different!

One thing I liked from Helzberg was the AGS certificate I got from them. It's basically the certificate folded in half with a hard(ish) cover on it. Is that how an AGS certificate from a JA diamond would arrive, too?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would take it back and get a solitaire in your budget from a reputable vendor.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Buy the best and largest centre diamond you can afford from a good dealer like JA - you will get much better value for your money. As previous PSers noted, you can always upgrade/change the setting later - that's the least expensive part of the purchase. Congrats and good luck.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know if this is cloudy or just a bad picture, but based off the GIA cert and price i would at least have them look at it and see if its jut a bad pic

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.60-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-185538

and if you could swing it i think this is a lovely setting, but it would be about 1-2 hundred more than what you paid (after PS and wire discount)

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-rounded-pave-engagement-solitaire-item-8116

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another vote for "return it and start over at a PS vendor". You get more for your $$ that way and when they know someone is coming from PS, they know that cut is most important (which will give you a more brilliant, sparkly diamond). I also agree that I'd get the largest stone my budget could buy and upgrade the setting later. That's a lovely thing to do for a 5 year anniversary....

Lula

Ideal_Rock
GDF|1369807720|3455530 said:
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm really liking your idea of making it a solitaire and upgrading the setting later. I never thought of that! I really maybe should focus more on a bigger center stone, since that's gotta be the most secure diamond!

I'd still like to hear what some other people have to say, but thanks so much for making me think of trying something totally different!

One thing I liked from Helzberg was the AGS certificate I got from them. It's basically the certificate folded in half with a hard(ish) cover on it. Is that how an AGS certificate from a JA diamond would arrive, too?

Yes, JA will send you the AGS or GIA report in a hard, clear folder. The ring will come in a very nice padded box with the ring box and report inside.

GDF

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody!!

How noticeable is the color of a J opposed an I?

Also, does anyone have an opinion on how a Sapphire heart with a heart halo around it would be for an engagement ring? It sounds a bit... silly, but it sounded like a nice idea to me :p

She loves blue and hearts, but I don't want it to be an embarrassing ring.. Also, she's British, and Kate Middleton has a sapphire ring, so I don't want to make her think I'm ripping off Kate hahaha

Also! Her ring size is a 7 if that makes a difference on what type of setting to get. I don't want a setting to make her finger look big or the center stone to look tiny :knockout:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a 1/3 ct, I and J face up will be difficult to tell apart. I would go for a full halo setting.

online you can get a 1/3 I SI1 ideal cut for $600 or less. If you go for a plain setting, you should be able to get a 3/4 ct in your budget.

No heart shapes unless she specifically said so!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for returning the mall store ring. Not a fan.

I like the idea of the JA solitare.

For sapphires you should know that most mall stores sell highly treated so they won't be real sapphires they would be nuked. If you want a quality sapphire that is heated you can probably get something very nice if the ladies on the CS side of the house help you. Though heart shape you don't see often. With sapphires they are typically rounds, cushions or ovals. Also you want to stay away from inky black sapphires that are also out there.

How do you feel about pre-loved jewelry? I know that Jewels By Erica Grace and New York Estate Jewelers all have sapphire rings (some with certs). That might also help you to just look around and see what prices are to compare. JbEG also has dimaonds rings so you might see something there in your price range. It's been awhile since i have been on their website. They used to have these gorgeous rose cut diamonds in bezels that were really uniqe. A friend of mine who is British says the rose cut is gaining in popularity right now because some celebrity soccer player's wife has one. Anyhow they are in your budget and I personally love them. Just another option.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
GDF|1369859071|3455848 said:
hahaha okay, I'm canning the heart shaped ring idea!

What about a 1/2ct diamond? Is a J much different than an I?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.55-carat-j-color-vvs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-126847

I don't know if I should go more for a better "letter" or a one with less flaws. I was kinda trying to just make sure the flaws weren't noticeable to a naked-eye.

You can definitely drop down to an SI1 just ask if it is eye clean. JA will let you know. As long as it is eyeclean I think a J would be great.

GDF

Rough_Rock
Sarahbear621|1369858936|3455847 said:
Another vote for returning the mall store ring. Not a fan.

I like the idea of the JA solitare.

For sapphires you should know that most mall stores sell highly treated so they won't be real sapphires they would be nuked. If you want a quality sapphire that is heated you can probably get something very nice if the ladies on the CS side of the house help you. Though heart shape you don't see often. With sapphires they are typically rounds, cushions or ovals. Also you want to stay away from inky black sapphires that are also out there.

How do you feel about pre-loved jewelry? I know that Jewels By Erica Grace and New York Estate Jewelers all have sapphire rings (some with certs). That might also help you to just look around and see what prices are to compare. JbEG also has dimaonds rings so you might see something there in your price range. It's been awhile since i have been on their website. They used to have these gorgeous rose cut diamonds in bezels that were really uniqe. A friend of mine who is British says the rose cut is gaining in popularity right now because some celebrity soccer player's wife has one. Anyhow they are in your budget and I personally love them. Just another option.

One of the many things I'm worried about is my girlfriend thinking I'm copying from someone famous, but I don't know if something totally unique is something I want to do, either... ahhhh this is so stressful!

She's pretty shy, so I don't want her to be embarrassed showing off an "odd" looking ring :p

Does the width of the ring setting play a part in how big the diamond looks? I don't really like the look of a thin band, but something 3mm+ might make the 1/2ct (or so) diamond look tinier...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1369859647|3455855 said:
GDF|1369859071|3455848 said:
hahaha okay, I'm canning the heart shaped ring idea!

What about a 1/2ct diamond? Is a J much different than an I?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.55-carat-j-color-vvs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-126847

I don't know if I should go more for a better "letter" or a one with less flaws. I was kinda trying to just make sure the flaws weren't noticeable to a naked-eye.

You can definitely drop down to an SI1 just ask if it is eye clean. JA will let you know. As long as it is eyeclean I think a J would be great.

looking at stones in that size on ja they dont have a whole lot of well cut SI stones. and even fewer that seem eye clean ...hmmm

GDF

Rough_Rock
I could stretch my budget a bit, but I'm trying to stay pretty close to 2500. I really like the look of side sapphire stones. JA has some I'm considering.

I'm also thinking about getting 2 or 3 different rings from JA, and sending back the 1 or 2 I don't like.

The center stone in the Helzberg ring I have now is 0.306, and it really doesn't seem TOO small to me :o

JA has some REALLY clear true-heart cuts that are under 1/2ctw

Is it not worth it to get D/E clarity diamonds that are fairly tiny? The "I" I have now seems about as clear as I could imagine (the .306ct diamond).

I'm almost thinking I'd like for her to know I got the best quality diamond I could buy, rather than the biggest. Is that a weird thought? I know size doesn't matter to her ( :oops: ), so I want one that's prettier, instead of big and heavy. I hope some of you can give me your opinions on that!

Thanks again to everyone helping me! :)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1369860088|3455861 said:

This is a nice diamond for a good price. I wear a size 7 and a half-carat in a halo setting looks nice on my finger -- not too big and not too small. The setting is an elegant halo that will look nice with a plain wedding band or a diamond wedding band. You don't have much time, so my advice is to get the biggest, well-cut diamond you can afford and put it in a simple halo setting or a solitaire wedding band that has some diamonds on the side -- someone linked a nice solitaire with diamonds from James Allen earlier in this thread. Stick with a simple, classic, elegant design for her engagement ring. I would not buy her anything with blue sapphires on it if she's from Great Britain. That is too Will-and-Kate. And, besides, sapphires are expensive these days (because of Will and Kate) and much of what you see for sale has been treated and is not worth the money -- as I believe Chrono mentioned.

Here's the link to the solitaire setting. This would also look very nice on a size 7 finger with a half-carat diamond.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...d-rounded-pave-engagement-solitaire-item-8116

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
You mentioned that your gf lives and you will be living together in another country. Have you considered the customs and traditions regarding engagement in her country? I know that in some the engagement ring is a simple gold band, and that women in some countries traditionally wear much smaller diamonds than we do here in the US. You mentioned that she is a bit shy and that you don't want her to feel awkward or uncomfortable so I would consider what is customary in her country before deciding on a diamond and setting.

Edit: I missed that she was British so I second Lula that I wouldn't do a sapphire either.

GDF

Rough_Rock

I'm really starting to like that halo setting!

They have a .501 (I think) for about $1700 that's D/si1. It looks amazing!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1369863067|3455881 said:

This is a nice diamond for a good price. I wear a size 7 and a half-carat in a halo setting looks nice on my finger -- not too big and not too small. The setting is an elegant halo that will look nice with a plain wedding band or a diamond wedding band. You don't have much time, so my advice is to get the biggest, well-cut diamond you can afford and put it in a simple halo setting or a solitaire wedding band that has some diamonds on the side -- someone linked a nice solitaire with diamonds from James Allen earlier in this thread. Stick with a simple, classic, elegant design for her engagement ring. I would not buy her anything with blue sapphires on it if she's from Great Britain. That is too Will-and-Kate. And, besides, sapphires are expensive these days (because of Will and Kate) and much of what you see for sale has been treated and is not worth the money -- as I believe Chrono mentioned.

Here's the link to the solitaire setting. This would also look very nice on a size 7 finger with a half-carat diamond.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...d-rounded-pave-engagement-solitaire-item-8116

I really do think its a good price for that stone. And i think that halo is a good idea, its going to have a lot of presence. My concern with a sapphire is, ignoring the quality factor like others have mention, unless she has said she wants one i feel like thats too risky for a E ring. I mean is she a girl that has imagined "the ring" as a diamond ring? If so, she might be sad if its not when she gets it.

What i think is you go diamond for the ring, and then she gets the option of getting a sapphire wedding band. She could get a alternating sapphire/diamond bezel, or a cute french cut sapphire, lots of options for a pop of blue, with out the commitment of a sapphire e ring

do you have a link to that d?

GDF

Rough_Rock

I feel weird asking this, but could I see how that ring looks on your finger? I'm for sure gonna get that halo setting with the diamond Niel posted or the one I just found that's slightly smaller, but a better letter (ugh I feel so stupid calling it that. Clarity??). The photo on JA has to be bigger than a 1/2ct, and I won't have anyone to test how it looks on a ring finger :p I won't be mad if you don't want to! I'm still gonna get it to check out, but it would help with my decision a little bit :D

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
GDF|1369864063|3455898 said:

I feel weird asking this, but could I see how that ring looks on your finger? I'm for sure gonna get that halo setting with the diamond Niel posted or the one I just found that's slightly smaller, but a better letter (ugh I feel so stupid calling it that. Clarity??).

The letters D-Z refer to color. DEF are considered colorless and GHIJ are considered near colorless The other letters FL IF VVS1/2 VS1/2 SI1/2 I1/2 refer to the clarity. FL meaning flawless, IF internally flawless VVS1/2 would be very difficult to spot an inclusion with a 10x loupe, VS1/2 difficult to detect with a 10x loupe SI1/2 easily detected with a loupe and may or may not be eye clean, a gemologist would need to assess it for you. I1/2 means that inclusions are easily detected, often with the unaided eye and there may also be durability issues with the stone that a gemologist would need to assess for you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GDF|1369864063|3455898 said:

I feel weird asking this, but could I see how that ring looks on your finger? I'm for sure gonna get that halo setting with the diamond Niel posted or the one I just found that's slightly smaller, but a better letter (ugh I feel so stupid calling it that. Clarity??).

D = color
SI1 = clarity

so youd say, its got a higher color... or its got a lower clarity ;-)

the thing about JA is, if you have the time, you can ask them to review up to 3 stones, they'll tell you which performs best, has good clarity, and which they would recommend

For what its worth I think that I is going to be very white, and if youre on this tight of a budget, i dont think you need to pay more for a D.

i think this video might help, you can see an I is not going to show up yellow or anything.

Also, what is the HCA score of that D you found. If you dont know, go to that link and read a bit. Ideally you want under 2

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is the closest thing i could find, its a .56 on a size 7. heres looks a tad bigger than your halo would just because it has a bezel, but, again, best i could find

407397_10150533542334597_501609596_9088029_1734546941_n.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, didn't notice the ring I linked was clarity enhanced, was just trying to help a fellow PS member who needs to sell her items.

I had another thought if you still are looking for a way to include blue and hearts...how about a sapphire center with heart sidestones that are turned sideways? I don't have a picture to link as I am on my phone, but I know of at least one emerald ring with heart sidestones arranged that way and I like that it incorporates hearts without being too cutesy. Again all up to your gf though as I don't want to suggest something too out there ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results