shape
carat
color
clarity

Helzberg Masterpiece help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spartan183

Rough_Rock
The search for a ring has recently begun and I could definitely use some help. I have been looking at stores and online which has only given me more options and questions. So I was hoping someone could help with a few of these questions.

1. Are the Helzberg Masterpiece diamonds worth what they are asking for it, because it appears like they may be over priced to me?

2. Are the Hearts and Arrows diamonds worth that much more than a regular ideal cut diamond?

3. Are there any reputable online stores that can give you a guarantee for prongs breaking and loss of diamonds, the diamond chipping, etc (like many stores do)?

If anyone is still out there and can help I would definitely appreciate it since I would like to purchase it sooner rather than later.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

I actually bought my diamond online because prices were so high at the chain stores. Maybe I can help you look. What are you looking for?

spartan183

Rough_Rock
Well she still has a couple of ideas about things she likes, but most likely I will be looking for a round diamond roughly 1 carat. She will want one with a high amount of sparkle, so I would assume that means a ideal cut. It will need to be near colorless and no visible inclusions.

I would like to go with a place where I am getting it already mounted on a thin white gold band with two diamonds on either side of it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about a G in color??? The better cut a diamond the whiter it will face up. What color do you like? What is your budget?
There are quite a few good online vendors here.

You will want to use the cut quality tool and look at excellent cuts. Here is the link https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx
I can help too if you like. You might like a VS2 or SI1 is good for a diamond. VS2 you shouldn't see anything.

What do you think you want besides a carat?

spartan183

Rough_Rock
a G in color would be fine. The budget right now is around 5000, especially if I do it online where it needs to be paid off now. That is one reason I have looked at the stores because you have more financing options which would let me spend more on it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what I came up w/
.94 slightly out of budget & they have a lifetime upgrade
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3039/

smaller .93 in budget
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=1067937

Here is an H SI1 1.03 carat and they have a lifetime upgrade a tiny bit out of budget
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-283310.htm

Hoped that helped. Let us know if you have any questions.

Here is a picture on color
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/color.asp

spartan183

Rough_Rock
They looked great.

If you get one of those would you suggest having them mount it in the ring or have someone local do that?

The one said it had faint fluorescence: Would that be noticeable on a regular day to day basis?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The general consensus here is that branded diamonds sold at B&M stores like the Helzberg Masterpiece, Jared Peerless, etc., are beautifully cut but way overpriced. You can find diamonds of equal beauty and cut quality online for much less if you know where to look!

I like the Whiteflash diamond that Skippy posted because it''s very close to budget with the bank wire discount (I believe it''s 3% for ES diamonds) and gets 1.6 on HCA. The Good Old Gold one gets a 2.3 on the HCA and is more expensive, so I''d rule it out. The James Allen one gets 0.9 on the HCA, but something just doesn''t look right in the image...the arrows don''t seem to line up right in the middle. I''m not an expert by any stretch, but I think the WF diamond is an excellent choice. H/SI1 is also considered a "sweet spot" to get the most bang for your buck. Reserve it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
you should not notice anything if it is faint.

What kind of setting are you looking for? I would try and buy the setting from the vendor so they could set the diamond.

The two company's w/a lifetime upgrade are Whiteflash and Good Old Gold. I don't know about the others.

Any other questions? I understand how scary it all is. Ask lots of questions and try reading FAQ section to get a little education.
9.gif

spartan183

Rough_Rock
JStarFireB,

Do you think they are overpriced because they offer the guarantee that if she were to loose the diamond because a prong broke or just fell out, they would replace it? I have not seen any online store offer that guarantee. That is what makes it so hard. The Helzberg Masterpiece (hearts and arrows) 1ct round with an excellent cut is $9,500 for the solitaire, however online I could find a similar stone for about $5-6,000.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2007 11:09:32 PM
Author: spartan183
JStarFireB,

Do you think they are overpriced because they offer the guarantee that if she were to loose the diamond because a prong broke or just fell out, they would replace it? I have not seen any online store offer that guarantee. That is what makes it so hard. The Helzberg Masterpiece (hearts and arrows) 1ct round with an excellent cut is $9,500 for the solitaire, however online I could find a similar stone for about $5-6,000.

No. Considering that you can insure a $5,000 ring for $50/yr against not only damage, but theft or loss too, I don't think it accounts for the large increase in price. You are right that online stores won't do that, but that's what insurance is for!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness, that is expensive. I would just make sure it was set well and get the prongs checked out and insure it. It costs about some where and this is just an estimate $50-$100 a year to insure it. If it is insured and you buy a ring say $5,500 you end up saving $4,000 easy and you have a great ring costing about $1000 to insure over maybe 12 years. That is why I bought online and my diamond is super beautiful! I wouldn''t do it differently; I know it is scary. We are happy to help!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2007 11:12:48 PM
Author: neatfreak

JStarFireB,

No. Considering that you can insure a $5,000 ring for $50/yr against not only damage, but theft or loss too, I don''t think it accounts for the large increase in price. You are right that online stores won''t do that, but that''s what insurance is for!!!

Glad someone else chimed in
9.gif
think of how much money you saved, PLUS, if you don''t like it mail it back and get your money back!!!!

spartan183

Rough_Rock
Those are all really good points. Of course I thought of insurance, however I didn''t think it was that reasonable. Are there any online stores that are more reputable than others or have its advantages?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2007 11:21:36 PM
Those are all really good points. Of course I thought of insurance, however I didn''t think it was that reasonable. Are there any online stores that are more reputable than others or have its advantages?

Well, Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, and Engagement Rings Direct all are very popular here and for good reason.

Bluenile is less popular because they don''t offer pictures, idealscopes, or ASET''s of their stones and their customer service is lacking compared to the other vendors.

But with the ones I recommended above, they are all fabulous.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like I said Whiteflash & Good old Gold have lifetime upgrade. Do a search on the other vendors and see what comes up. i bought my diamond from WF. Lots of others like the other vendors too but do a search you will get some reviews out there.

Also, I would insure my ring. I actually bought my diamond from a local jeweler and after 7 years lost it and thank goodness it was insured and thens when I decided to find a better deal online. Hope that helps; I am going to bed but others can help you if you have any questions and WELCOME
35.gif
to PS!!!

spartan183

Rough_Rock
Thanks Skippy!

I looked at your ring and it''s beautiful! What size carat did you get?

spartan183

Rough_Rock
Thanks Skippy!

I looked at your ring and it''s beautiful! What size carat did you get?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spartan,
thank you very much; I am very happy w/it. I actually bought a 1.5 carat center stone diamond with .50 trillions (.25 each).

In fact my diamond is super sparkly sometimes when it is twinkling I make my poor husband look at it. hehehe.

Sweet dreams Spartan and happy shopping, friend.
2.gif

spartan183

Rough_Rock
Did you get a hearts and arrows diamond? If not what cut did you get?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not get hearts and arrows. Lots of people swear by hearts and arrows. here is a link to what I got. I hope it helps.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-diamond-opinions.54258/
Mine is an Ideal cut diamond. Read up on peoples opinions on hearts and arrows. I think hearts and arrows are very beautiful.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one from whiteflash appears to be good hearts and arrows.
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-283310.htm

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
JStarFireB,

I see a few people have already answered this question, and I agree...that would be a heckuva lotta money compared to insurance, which is usually something like 1-3% of the appraised value per year, depending on what kind of a policy you get and where you live. I think the extra cost is really just retail markup and paying for the Helzberg Masterpiece name, kind of like buying a Tiffany, but without the blue box and name recognition.

On the subject of insurance, neatfreak and some others convinced me to get a Jewelers Mutual policy. They seem to have really good customer service, and they let you pick a jeweler to work with for the replacement. JM and Chubb are the biggies around here (JM is a replacement and Chubb is a payout, so you pay a bit more for Chubb), but you can also add a rider to homeowner''s or renter''s insurance if you have that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results