shape
carat
color
clarity

Helping mom find an anniversary ring

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
I received GREAT help from you when making a final decision concerning my own AVR diamond.

Now I would once again be asking for some input from you guys as I am helping my mom design her anniversary ring (40 years married last December! :appl: ) and pick a center stone of about a quarter carat. It is going to be a yellow gold trilogy ring. Her original rings had only 0.1 ctw of five tiny stones so this is going to be a HUGE dare I say an OBNOXIOUS upgrade for her :naughty: :lol:

In my perfect world we would buy the stones via web (study them very closely with proper pictures) and set them locally, but I think we are talking such small sized stones that it is not a possibility as many of the Internet vendors only carry stones from 0.4ct upwards. She is also not as interested in diamonds as her daughter is and only wants to have something pretty with diamonds on her finger and not spend a fortune on it (though they would have the money to spend more, it is not just that important for them so they choose to not.)

I have two stones for consideration, both GIA graded and HCA under 2. Would you be so kind to look at the stats and comment if they seem good enough to pull the trigger? I have no ASETs, IdealScopes or pictures of the actual stones and I am quite sure there is no such possibility with the vendor we are looking to work with.

The stones we have been offered (within the budget, including two 8 pointers and 18k yg) are GIA 2166451888 and GIA 2176556119.

If you do happen to have some information about a better option online, feel free to hint about it. I didn't find any options on stones or stones+settings when browsing through James Allen, BGD, Good Old Gold and such couple of months ago. We have a definite budget limit of 1900 dollars (including the shipping to Scandinavia and tax which is something around 20%) so there is little room for magic sadly :| She is hoping (at the moment at least) for a yellow gold trilogy with about 0.20-0.30 center and 0.10 or under side stones.

Waiting anxiously for your suggestions and opinions! 8)

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Have you thought about the August Vintage Round melee stones?

Since you already have experience with GOG, it might be worth considering these options -

This one is in your size range and pretty affordable:
.23ct, E, SI2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-23ct-e-si2-august-vintage-round-diamond-melee.html

Here are two more worthwhile stones, if slightly larger is better:
.30ct, F, VVS1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-3-ct-f-vvs1-superior-hearts-and-arrows-cut-round-round-diamond.html

.31ct, J, SI1 - August Vintage Round
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-31ct-j-si1-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Brian Gavin also carries stones in small sizes. They come with all the info (video, aset, AGS report etc) that the larger stones have for making an informed decision online.
Example-
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d.../0.234-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104070391092

If I were in your shoes, I would reach out to someone like Brian Gavin and let them know your budget, and have them work with you on the whole ring rather than buying the stones and setting separately. This would likely give you the best value for your money.

Good luck on your project!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would work with a vendor who carries ideal cut melee such as GOG or WhiteFlash and tell them what you want. The stones at that size do not have to be graded. Please go with at least 10 point stones for the sides with a 25-30 point center.

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions on vendors. I contacted Brian Gavin Diamonds and Whiteflash. They were helpful in providing options, but neither had anything to offer within the budget.
GOG I didn't contact this time since I thought it could never fit in the budget if even those two didn't come close. AVR's are gorgeous but I am looking for MRB's for mom.

As I still have the option of purchasing the whole ring locally I would ask you to comment on the two GIA stones posted earlier. Are they any good for my purpose? Locally it would cost me about 1900dollars with either of those stones, including two 0.08ct side stones H/VS, 18k yg band approx. 3mm, size US9. The vendor is quite well known and appreciated here, so I am expecting it to be somewhat good quality (- though not probably as good as I could have gotten from BGD/Whiteflash/GOG etc. had we the money to go for them).

I think buying locally is going to be my best and pretty much only option. The current exchange rate from USD to EUR has made the internet vendor options even pricier than they would have otherwise been. I am very happy that I got to make my own purchase last year in a better situation currency wise. :|

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
Here is the 0.23ct F/VS1 (HCA 1,8). For some reason I am unable to get the report for the 0.24ct G/VS2 (HCA 1,4) (GIA 2176556119) to upload on PS. Any idea in going with either of these? The 0.24ct G comes just a tiny bit more expensive than it's fellow F. I could ask for more options from the vendor if both of these seem like total no nos.

kuvankaappaus_2015-2-18_kello_6_0.png

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you care to post photos of your AVR, you never updated after the original 'kitchen' ones that didn't show any faceting or performance.

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
Jambalaya|1424288962|3834466 said:
Blue Nile has stones from 0.23. www.bluenile.com

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked them out but found nothing in my budget. I am now hoping for some opinions on the two GIA stones as stated above. :))

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
quaddio|1424303799|3834579 said:
Would you care to post photos of your AVR, you never updated after the original 'kitchen' ones that didn't show any faceting or performance.

Uhm, yes, I think I just got shy about it. It is quite small and simple compared to the average PS rings. In the last photo it is paired with the (to be or not be) Tiffany ring that I had a topic about at Hangout. Decided to keep it and I've been very happy about it.

img_7099.jpg

img_7100.jpg

img_7103.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qwedsy|1424277487|3834382 said:
Here is the 0.23ct F/VS1 (HCA 1,8). For some reason I am unable to get the report for the 0.24ct G/VS2 (HCA 1,4) (GIA 2176556119) to upload on PS. Any idea in going with either of these? The 0.24ct G comes just a tiny bit more expensive than it's fellow F. I could ask for more options from the vendor if both of these seem like total no nos.

kuvankaappaus_2015-2-18_kello_6_0.png

This stone has very good numbers and should be a nice stone.

Edit - I pulled up the report of the other one. It should be a lovely stone also. I would probably go with the cheaper of the 2.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qwedsy...your ring is gorgeous! Love the beautiful faceting pattern with the bright on/off facets. Lovely setting too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results