shape
carat
color
clarity

Helping a friend love diamonds

Dracarys

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm long since married and actually looking to reset two of my stones right now but what I am here to ask is for a friend (I'll come back with my questions :D). She and her main man have discussed marriage and he is in the process of selling a ring he once gave to a woman many years ago - first, any advice on the best place/way to sell a "used" engagement ring? It was 15-20k new but he knows he won't get anything like that back.
In the meantime she is tasked with figuring out what sort of ring she would like. Rings, makeup, jewelry=not really her thing. When I asked what shape she might like she asked what shapes there are- soooo what website would be best for me to peruse with her? Tomorrow night we are going to Skype and look at rings on the web since she's in another state.
I figured I would have her log on here, blue Nile, or another site that lets you play around with shapes and designs and we could look at shapes, talk about what color metal she prefers to wear, solitaire vs multi stone, halo, simple setting with largest stone versus more elaborate setting with smaller stone etc . Is there a site that would be particularly good for her? I don't want to overwhelm her so I'll go slow ;)2 I told her that some people choose to just do a band, or an alternate stone instead of a diamond- but I think she wants to explore her diamond options first. Sounds like she will have 8-18k budget (probably depends what he gets for that other ring- I told her maybe half of the original price?) Any advice as to how I can best help her? Thank you for your advice and help.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In terms of selling the 'used' ring... I think there are a few options. He could either opt to try to sell it himself through a site like LoupeTroop or Diamondbistro... or consign it with someone like Jewels by Grace or Love affair diamonds (I'm sure there are other sites- these are just the ones that I browse frequently lol). Of course, what the specs are and how much he sets the price at will play a major part in how quickly it sells...

With sites to look at, I think the ones you have listed are a good place to start. I know you mentioned she's in another state, but I think it makes a big difference for someone to go into an actual retail store and look and have a bit of a play with diamonds. Things always look a bit different online to in person. I find a Tiffany a nice place to start- not to buy from, but because they have a variety of stone sizes/styles and setting designs so you can learn what you like before looking for a stone elsewhere :)

Otherwise, I actually went onto pinterest and showed my brother a whole bunch of different shapes/styles to help give him an idea of what was out there. There are LOADS of different pages with engagement ring styles...

Then there are apps like Beaumade? I think that certain designers (LAD) are on which lets you take a photo of your hand and superimposes an image of the ring on the finger.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen has excellent videos of stones, so that it's possible to understand how they might perform (and which are the better ones ;-) ).

I think they also have pictures/videos of recently completed rings :)

High Performance Diamonds / Wink has some videos of the Crafted By Infinity super-ideals, and Good Old Gold's YouTube channel has some excellent tutorials/examples.

Also check out Rhino's new website: https://www.augustvintageinc.net/. The recent thread on it also includes a video of his brand new Oval cut: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-his-exciting-news.234130/page-2#post-4215573

Dracarys

Rough_Rock
In terms of selling the 'used' ring... I think there are a few options. He could either opt to try to sell it himself through a site like LoupeTroop or Diamondbistro... or consign it with someone like Jewels by Grace or Love affair diamonds (I'm sure there are other sites- these are just the ones that I browse frequently lol). Of course, what the specs are and how much he sets the price at will play a major part in how quickly it sells...

With sites to look at, I think the ones you have listed are a good place to start. I know you mentioned she's in another state, but I think it makes a big difference for someone to go into an actual retail store and look and have a bit of a play with diamonds. Things always look a bit different online to in person. I find a Tiffany a nice place to start- not to buy from, but because they have a variety of stone sizes/styles and setting designs so you can learn what you like before looking for a stone elsewhere :)

Otherwise, I actually went onto pinterest and showed my brother a whole bunch of different shapes/styles to help give him an idea of what was out there. There are LOADS of different pages with engagement ring styles...

Then there are apps like Beaumade? I think that certain designers (LAD) are on which lets you take a photo of your hand and superimposes an image of the ring on the finger.

Interesting, I haven't seen Beaumade before, I will check that out for certain. I ink you are right on about seeing things in person. When she comes home to visit We will definitely take a trip to a place like Tiffany so she can try a traditional solitaire in a size that's in budget for her in a few shapes and see what they look like versus a three stone or a halo etc.
I'm actually really interested to see what she will choose since it isn't really a her thing. It's hard for me to even steer her but anything I have seen her wear is always classic, crisp, appropriate, etc. I'm so excited for her- I was enjoying stalking the CvB designs in Etsy page, looking to reset one of my stones to be worn as my wedding ring (I have two sets that I wear on that finger but they are both uncomfortable so I want to reset one of the center stones as a wedding ring and the other eventually I think as a pendant). Now I'm more excited about her project! ill have to steer her away from rb and oec so she doesn't end up with the same setting I want- :lol:

Dracarys

Rough_Rock
Further from the beaten track:

# recut instead of sale - it would cost something, but, perhaps less than the loss from resale

# https://www.instagram.com/gemconcepts/
Very interesting idea- I'll throw that out there and see if it sticks! It sounds like he knows he is looking at half of what he paid if he is lucky so a cut might do it. Who knows- it might be a nice stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dracarys Fingers crossed !

Methinks: If the point is to have a New diamond, and the stone already is an acceptable RBC, it could be rendered Ideal or altered allot more & with more loss of weight or size or both. It wold be interesting to find out what the possibilities are & this is a Q for the cutter - I could only fantasize ...

More certainly: this is a great way to get interesting side stones - if wanted.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps, show her some Antique Cut Cushions on Jon's Site: https://www.augustvintageinc.net/
Or JBG:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/
There are also other examples of other cuts at JBG, but they are older Cut stones. I believe it's important to show her a variety of shapes, colors & sizes (for budget), and to include older cuts in her search; there are some BEAUTIFUL stones out there you just can't find in a jewelry store!!! Grace also enlists the help from PS vendors in setting some of the stones she purchased for sale. Victor Canera is one. CvB is another.
Pinterest led me to PS, so I know she'll have plenty to see, there. Brick & Mortar stores are a great resource for up close & personal play with diamonds & settings. Being able to see each against her hand is helpful to narrow down her preferences.
This sounds very exciting! Please keep us posted on your journey with your friend! Hopefully, after this experience, jewelry will be "her thing", and she'll "catch the fever"...lol!! :lol-2:

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
Does she even want a ring? My mum had a gold watch when my parents got engaged. Maybe something else would be more suitable for her?

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is my 2 cents.. just to keep it simple. To avoid analysis paralysis and make it easy on her, I recommend shopping cheap cz online shops with different shapes first. Then have a skype girls night and have fun trying on the different shapes and sizes. This way you can guide her on the journey of what she likes vs shopping in person since you're not geographically able. Then after she realizes what she loves, you can online shop at places like JBG or JA. If she's not a girly girl, sending her to many different websites is just going to overwhelm her.

Good luck!

Dracarys

Rough_Rock
@Dracarys Fingers crossed !

Methinks: If the point is to have a New diamond, and the stone already is an acceptable RBC, it could be rendered Ideal or altered allot more & with more loss of weight or size or both. It wold be interesting to find out what the possibilities are & this is a Q for the cutter - I could only fantasize ...

More certainly: this is a great way to get interesting side stones - if wanted.
Ya I have no idea what the old diamond looks like- the shape etc. if I mentioned an RB in my post it is bc I have an RB and an OEC that are both begging for a reset. I am Planning to make e RB my new wedding set and maybe a pendant w the OEC, but I got super excited about her project now so I sort of abandoned shopping for myself- I'm sure I'll get back to my reset dreaming soon- lol. I can shop for both of us at once ;)2

Dracarys

Rough_Rock
This is my 2 cents.. just to keep it simple. To avoid analysis paralysis and make it easy on her, I recommend shopping cheap cz online shops with different shapes first. Then have a skype girls night and have fun trying on the different shapes and sizes. This way you can guide her on the journey of what she likes vs shopping in person since you're not geographically able. Then after she realizes what she loves, you can online shop at places like JBG or JA. If she's not a girly girl, sending her to many different websites is just going to overwhelm her.

Good luck!

Good advice - luckily I will be able to shop in person with her in thr next month when she comes home so we can swing by Tiffany and try on an array of shapes etc before we start looking at JA etc. She is excited about the process though and wants to start it so she doesn't feel like she has made no headway if that makes sense. I think we will probably have to do the Skype session first and then we can try on together when she comes home. After that we can look at actual sites she might buy from. I just want to show her what the shapes and typical setting categories are (solitaire,3 stone, halo, etc) so when she walks in she knows what language people ar speaking and that she isn't just looking for the biggest stone etc. (unless she really just wants the biggest stone regardless of other qualities- though that isn't her at all).

Dracarys

Rough_Rock
Perhaps, show her some Antique Cut Cushions on Jon's Site: https://www.augustvintageinc.net/
Or JBG:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/
There are also other examples of other cuts at JBG, but they are older Cut stones. I believe it's important to show her a variety of shapes, colors & sizes (for budget), and to include older cuts in her search; there are some BEAUTIFUL stones out there you just can't find in a jewelry store!!! Grace also enlists the help from PS vendors in setting some of the stones she purchased for sale. Victor Canera is one. CvB is another.
Pinterest led me to PS, so I know she'll have plenty to see, there. Brick & Mortar stores are a great resource for up close & personal play with diamonds & settings. Being able to see each against her hand is helpful to narrow down her preferences.
This sounds very exciting! Please keep us posted on your journey with your friend! Hopefully, after this experience, jewelry will be "her thing", and she'll "catch the fever"...lol!! :lol-2:

Haha I love Victor C and CvB. Haha. We speak the same language. I also love cushion and assher cuts. I have an OEC she can see in person and an. RB so she can see how they are the same shape but look different. We actually live close enough that she could eat with VC if she ends up with the budget for that. I originally really wanted to reset my RB in the Anne Marie but then I saw CvB and am thinking I want a little ore of a vintage feel - though I saw a VC that was custom set I a - I this it was a hex shaped bezel that it sat in like a cup sort of. Love them all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd show her some threads here so she can get an idea of whole rings she likes. Once you know that, then it will be easier to look for the right kind of diamond. Here are threads with various styles of diamonds and antique and traditional settings. I love Tiffany and think that is a nice place to try on the classics, but these threads will show her rings she won't be able to see in jewelry stores.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...b-eye-candy-thread.211825/page-4#post-4044094

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-whiteflash-acas.228560/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-avc-avoec-diamonds.123446/page-10

Dracarys

Rough_Rock
I'd show her some threads here so she can get an idea of whole rings she likes. Once you know that, then it will be easier to look for the right kind of diamond. Here are threads with various styles of diamonds and antique and traditional settings. I love Tiffany and think that is a nice place to try on the classics, but these threads will show her rings she won't be able to see in jewelry stores.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...b-eye-candy-thread.211825/page-4#post-4044094

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-whiteflash-acas.228560/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-avc-avoec-diamonds.123446/page-10
Thank you- that's a good selection of rings to show her. Above I said eat with Victor Canera- clumsy finger typing- sorry. I meant she could work with him. I won't be encouraging her to purchase anything at TIFFany, I just want to take her someplace where she can see all the standard diamond shapes in person and on her hand in a size reasonable for her budget and I know they usually have a nice selection of the standards. Thank you for the great links! I can't wait to look at all the VC beauties.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results