shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FinallyFoundHer

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone. I''ve been "lurking" for about a week but the time has come to register and ask all of you venerable experts for help.

My girlfriend is in the process of picking out her "favorite" designers/styles. Her current favorite is a design by Simon G that can be viewed here: http://www.firenzejewels.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=1588

Does anyone have experience with Simon G? If so, any recommendations on online jewelers? There are several local places that carry Simon G, but I don''t have the best opinion of those particular places, although I''m not sure that I could pinpoint any rational reason why!

Thanks for the help, and please go wild. I''ll check out every recommendation you have for this newbie!

Ted

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ted (love your US name :D) welcome to pricescope :D

If you do a search on the forums you should be able to find some reviews on Simon G rings I think the one you and your GF have picked out is beautiful :D

I believe pearlmans carries Simon G settings so you might think to contact them :)

I am sure you will get more info :)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t own one but from what I have seen they look to be very well made and delicate. I also second Pearlman''s. They have fantastic prices and Bill''s service is really impeccable.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hm. I don''t think Pearlmans does. I''m currently looking for a Simon G wedding band and I e-mailed Bill Pearlman last week. They (Simon G) would not sell through him. However, Bill did contact Simon G and let them know that I was having trouble finding a vendor so they contacted me directly, which was great!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome...

Simon G makes a very reputable ring. As far as I know Firenze is the only vendor that carries them. There have been a few pricescopers to buy from them though and they have been very pleased.

ETA: If she likes Simon G, you might have her take a look at the Beverley K line that Pearlmans does sell.

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
I have been looking in to some of Simon G''s fashion pieces and I found some on these sites:

http://www.delmontesmelson.com

http://www.chapelhillsjewelry.com

http://www.jrdunn.com/

Also I saw that Simon G they have their own product referral web site, where you can pick the store you want to buy from:

http://www.shopsimong.com/

Give those a try and good luck.

FinallyFoundHer

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input! I will look into all the vendors you mentioned and have her check out the Beverley K line as well.

Follow up question: What''s the consensus on Palladium?

Thanks again everyone, I love my new support group.
19.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 8:15:44 PM
Author: FinallyFoundHer

Follow up question: What''s the consensus on Palladium?

you can do a search here on palladium for a lot more info. a lot of designers are starting to make setting using it and it''s helping to keep cost down since it''s a lot less than platinum. that said, there still are not many jewelers who know how to work with it and there have been posters come here because they can''t find someone local to size their rings etc.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ted! Welcome to PS!
35.gif

I am or soon will be a Simon G setting owner. I''ve seen the finished product - took about 4 weeks to make, but it hasn''t been presented to me yet.
20.gif
I love Simon G!
I bought my setting from Mary at Gemological Trading Corp link. They are based in Seattle and are fantastic. For your purposes ... they do a lot of online business as well.

They, by far, had the best pricing. If you haven''t noticed already, there is a huge price discrepancy between vendors for the same setting. One vendor we inquired with quoted us a price almost $2,000 more than what we got from GTC. The quality is the same, the setting is the same ... why pay more, right?

Simon G settings have incredible workmanship and they deliver a top notch product.

If you have tried the various local places that carry Simon G, and don''t like them, I don''t have any other recommendations in that regard. One thing you may consider doing is seeing if this local vendor carries this actual setting in their store so that your girlfriend can try it on and get a feel for it.

Good luck! Please do keep us updated on your progress.

FinallyFoundHer

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

Thanks again for the help, just wanted to give a quick update.

My GF is in the process of picking out her favorite designs, then it will be up to me to pick one from those and decide diamond size, etc.

So expect more questions in the not-too-distant future!

Thanks!

FinallyFoundHer

Rough_Rock
UPDATE!

Well my GF has settled on a design for a ring I think. It is this one, only with white gold filigree rather than the yellow. http://www.weddingdaydiamonds.com/thumbnail.aspx?ForceAspect=false&Width=450&Height=450&image=product_images/MESS6139.jpg

I have another question for everyone. What is the general opinion of Star 129 diamonds? I am working with a local place here in MN that carries them and am trying to decide between an ideal cut 58 facet standard diamond and a star 129. To my eyes, the Star 129 definitely sparkles more. They were very thorough putting all the diamonds I looked at in a gemscope, etc (not sure that''s the proper term, but it showed the sparkle, etc.

Thanks again everyone!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too my eyes the star129 is too busy in smaller sizes I have seen a 3+ct that blew me away but didnt like them at all under around 2.5ct.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with Storm on the Star 129 - the only time I have felt that the extra facets added something were on large stones 2.5 carats and up where the facets appear larger and it did indeed add some oomph. Anything smaller just looked too busy and distracting. I haven''t seen the Star 129 itself, but i have seen numerous other branded multifaceted stones (the Gabrielle, Echo, several other branded, etc)

FinallyFoundHer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help! I decided to go with the true Ideal cut rather than the Star 129.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 2:07:07 PM
Author: FinallyFoundHer
Thanks for the help! I decided to go with the true Ideal cut rather than the Star 129.

Good choice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results