shape
carat
color
clarity

help, you guys, I'm so bad at diamond math!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I've looked at all the charts and I still can't figure this out...maybe it's my allergies...or my wonky calculator

But DH and I finally got my anniversary ring and it's 20 diamonds, total cart weight says one carat. The stones measure about 2.5mm.

Reason I'm asking is I think it's slightly more than was marked. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If they're 2.5 mm, yes they're probably 1.2. If they're 2.25 mm, no they're 0.8. I had to look it up.

www.brilliance.com/education/diamond-size-chart/round

1.5 mm. 0.015 ct.
1.75 mm. 0.02 ct.
1.8 mm. 0.025 ct.
2 mm. 0.03 ct.
2.25 mm. 0.04 ct.
2.5 mm. 0.06 ct.
2.75 mm. 0.08 ct.

I have a Starrett micrometer and dial caliper at home and know that measuring small distances can be a delicate problem. Converting .25mm to inches... 0.009842519685"

And speaking of tiny, I'm in a small house in a small village on a small island in the Atlantic off NC drinking coffee while my wife sleeps in.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is your finger? Often when they say a “2 ct eternity band” or something the carat weight is based off a size 6 or 7, and if you change sizes, it is the diamond size that remains consistent rather than the overall weight - so if your ring size is bigger you will be adding diamonds and weight and if it is smaller, taking them away. Other times the carat weight is just an approximation for no reason. It seems rare to find jewelers who up-front give the exact carat weight of an eternity band.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Don’t forget that mm to ct is just an approximation! A lot of melee is cut too deep thus holding more weight, well cut melee OTOH will weigh less. You cannot get an exact ct weight unless you were to weigh each stone. Or at least one and hope the rest is uniformly cut. Thus, I would say just enjoy your ring!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you want to know?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results