shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with vintage mikimoto bracelet

bethprov

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I haven’t posted in a while because I get pearl lust and start buying stuff so I stay away! I’m back because I need HELP! I have a vintage mikimoto marked on the clasp bracelet. I think it is lovely but it is a 3 strand clasp with one strand missing and the pearl and post on the clasp gone. I have been in contact with mikimoto and my only option is to replace the clasp unfortunately, they will not fix it. I am not against this at all but it will be $$$. At minimum around $750 for a new clasp and restring, if I want to add a valuation report, M charm or need pearls replaced it’s close to 1K. This bracelet brand new would be around $2400 and a pipe dream so fixing the one I have is more attainable. I’m a little self conscious about the shape the pearls are in, they are very pretty but a few I think i may be seeing wear or even blinking and very minor imperfections. This bracelet was loved and worn so not brand new, I am comparing it to my brand new mikimoto studs and it’s very pretty but certainly not brand new.

I guess what I’m looking for is some thoughts on if this is worth spending the money to have a Mikimoto repair or even good enough. If not I can take it somewhere local and have it restrung but my gut feeling is telling me don’t do that. What do you guys think?

084F533A-871F-4382-BA73-C61981C29B4B.jpeg E2659459-A622-447B-B15B-A076E1D40631.jpeg F1DA2DC2-BFCF-4784-B629-605209B6186F.jpeg C8EED0D5-27CA-49FD-A226-F1099E52D7DA.jpeg 859EBBE8-9A93-43C1-B4C1-95FFDC644FD4.jpeg 8345AC32-D99C-422F-BD5C-AB525604BF19.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it's a genuine Mikimoto, but it needs repairs.
The repairs(1K) probably are going to be more than the value of the bracelet as it is right now.
This is just my opinion.
I would get a local jeweler to carefully remove the spacing bars and trim off the loops on the clasp where the third strand used to be.
As you said, Mikimoto refuses to repair the clasp where the pearl has broken off, so what value does a broken Mikimoto clasp have, anyway? So why not adjust it to hold just two strands. It will still look great.
Then you can wear it, as a modified, but genuine Mikimoto bracelet.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Do you want something you can wear and enjoy or something to sell? If you want something to wear then as Stracci2000 says have a local jeweller remove the centre rings from the clasp and enjoy a two strand bracelet. The jeweller might even be able to solder in a new pin in the clasp (I can't make out from your photos if the clasp has gems set or just patterning) and you could add a new pearl.
Or, if as you say some of the pearls are showing their age, simple start over and pick the best remaining to make a single strand bracelet with a new clasp. That would, of course wipe out a lot of the 'value' but value of second hand or even new anything is only as much as someone else is willing to pay. In this case that needs to be balanced about whether you want to sell it or just have a pearl bracelet to wear without a big flashing 'Mikimoto ' sign floating over your head!

bethprov

Shiny_Rock
The you for your replies! I do want to wear it to enjoy it not sell. I did think about taking the best of them and having it made into one strand and am still considering that. I am going to consider the local jeweler route as well, that was a good idea to see if they will just remove the middle ring on the clasp . The reason mikimoto won’t just repair the clasp and add the pearls is it is missing the post and pearl, they don’t want to do it and have said instead I need to buy a new clasp. I’m not too worried about resale but did want to keep a mikimoto clasp on it if I could, it’s just adding up to be expensive. Truthfully, you are paying for the brand name and an authentic clasp, it seems the pearls are less of the cost. I’ll sit on it a while and get a local jewelers ideas. Thanks!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The you for your replies! I do want to wear it to enjoy it not sell. I did think about taking the best of them and having it made into one strand and am still considering that. I am going to consider the local jeweler route as well, that was a good idea to see if they will just remove the middle ring on the clasp . The reason mikimoto won’t just repair the clasp and add the pearls is it is missing the post and pearl, they don’t want to do it and have said instead I need to buy a new clasp. I’m not too worried about resale but did want to keep a mikimoto clasp on it if I could, it’s just adding up to be expensive. Truthfully, you are paying for the brand name and an authentic clasp, it seems the pearls are less of the cost. I’ll sit on it a while and get a local jewelers ideas. Thanks!
Yay! I'm glad are rescuing this sweet bracelet! It deserves to be restored and loved! It's a traditional pearl piece from an iconic maker. And you should totally keep the original clasp. It's OK to modify and wear this great bracelet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results