shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Victorian (?) mourning pendant

kate_blue

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for advice on a necklace for a mourning pendant. I ruled out a gold chain because I think the person it's for would hate a gold chain. I'm thinking that a black silk cord would look the best, but might be risky safety-wise? I can find a million black silk cords, but I worry about the clasp part being dependable, and also finding a well made one, ideally with a gold clasp. The pendant is black onyx with a clear hinged window on the back for a lock of hair. Thoughts?

2017-08-20 09.48.21.jpg

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I can’t see this with anything other than gold because of the gold color on front. There is a black metal out there I’ve seen in chain form though that may work. Google black chain necklace

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a silk cord would work. Perhaps search etsy for one with good reviews and message the vendor and let them know the weight of the pendant to confirm it will work. Or, maybe you can have a jeweler add black onyx beads to a yellow gold chain, like below, if the recipient might like that.
A6D8BC56-B69C-4A68-A882-65F583D0987D.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a 14k gold antique broach on an inexpensive silk cord. If I were to make the cord necklace I would probably approach it this way. Use french wire when attaching the clasp to the cord if I could find some thick enough, and perhaps put a crimp clasp over the silk that I ran through the clasp. You can find the materials you need on Etsy or places like Bella findings.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Black metal chain? Not sure how to achieve that though o_O

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
You could oxidize a silver chain to the deepest black, but it would probably be prettier with a simple braided cord. Just take three strands of silk cord, velveteen cord, or black leather cord (all available at your local sewing/craft shoppie shop) and tie off the length at your preference. A few passes with a needle and black thread will keep the ends secure.

Come back and show us what you decide to do! Good luck!

kate_blue

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'll be going with a black silk cord.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results