shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with this 5ct beauty!

OxGual

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and to diamonds, and I would like some help from you regarding a 4.96ct Fancy Dark Brown-Yellow diamond.

I have been trying for the last week to sell this diamond. I have visited several retailers, shops, etc., and I have not received a good offer.

Based on my own research and expert opinions, the approximate value of this piece is of 18-25k dollars.

I will leave more details and pics of it below. Any help, suggestion or offer will be very appreciated! :D

Screenshot (44).png IMG_20190505_103112.jpg IMG_20190505_103410.jpg

Attachments

• 1196420393.pdf
    690.8 KB · Views: 41

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some threads that discuss how to sell yourself and pros/cons of doing so. I'm sure soneone will be along shortly with suggestions but if you're not in a rush to sell it may be worth trying that route or consigning. Stores giving you cash offers will be the quickest sale but worst return. Good luck!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also the cut is unusual for a round wirh the table being bigger than the depth. So unfortunately, it might sell for less than you think. But I would see if you can sell to any of the trusted consigners here, like jewels by grace .

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Fancy colored stones are all about the color and brown undertones are not considered favored by the trade at the moment. That may be affecting your offers. Stores will only offer an amount that makes a resale worthwhile for them. Generally a store is the fastest way to make a sale but you'll receive the least. Consignment is somewhere in the middle. Private sale is likely to net you the most but has the most risk associated with it.

For comparison, a PSer really wanted to sell her diamond quickly. Recently She offered to sell on PS what she was offered from a vendor if somebody would take it off her hands asap. So sold a 3ct F colored VS clarity cushion diamond for $20k--approx the price the vendor thought she could get in a whol sale transaction once the vendor identified a buyer. Take a look at what you consider to be a fair retail price for a similar diamond(F VS 3 Ct cushion). If the offers you received for your diamond were in the same relative range as a percentage of price, you're probably doing quite well. In the grand scheme a 3 Ct F VS is probably more desirable on the market than a 5 Ct brown-yellow.

Another consideration is that your diamond is just short of the magic 5 Ct mark. Anything at or over 5 Ct is not a fair comp because those magic carat weights are worth quite a bit. Do a per carat price comparison on diamonds just above and just below the next full carat weight but are otherwise similar in characteristics. Doesn't matter whether they are or are not comparable to your diamond. You will see that regardless, there are notable per carat price jumps to hit that next weight milestone marker.

Good luck in your quest.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well do list it here in preloved and on loupe troop. Also consider sending it to JBG for consignment. The issue is that for a retailer to benefit from buying it they have to find a buyer, so it’s risky for them.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a lovely diamond but unfortunately Champagne brown toned coloured diamonds are out of favor. It’s also harder to sell a loose diamond. You might consider setting it in a simple rose gold setting to increase saleability.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you consider a good offer?

OxGual

Rough_Rock
There are some threads that discuss how to sell yourself and pros/cons of doing so. I'm sure soneone will be along shortly with suggestions but if you're not in a rush to sell it may be worth trying that route or consigning. Stores giving you cash offers will be the quickest sale but worst return. Good luck!

Thank you very much! This was very helpful, I really appreciate it.

I have considered consigning, but since that diamond is my mom's property and she doesn't want to let it go, I had to disregard it. If you have any thread, webpage, blog or video I could get important information from, I would appreciate very much if you could share that.

Again, thank you very much, and have a nice day!

OxGual

Rough_Rock
Also the cut is unusual for a round wirh the table being bigger than the depth. So unfortunately, it might sell for less than you think. But I would see if you can sell to any of the trusted consigners here, like jewels by grace .

Ohh, okay. I am taking that into consideration. Maybe cutting that diamond could increase its sale value? I am not sure.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for this info! Have a nice day!

OxGual

Rough_Rock
Fancy colored stones are all about the color and brown undertones are not considered favored by the trade at the moment. That may be affecting your offers. Stores will only offer an amount that makes a resale worthwhile for them. Generally a store is the fastest way to make a sale but you'll receive the least. Consignment is somewhere in the middle. Private sale is likely to net you the most but has the most risk associated with it.

For comparison, a PSer really wanted to sell her diamond quickly. Recently She offered to sell on PS what she was offered from a vendor if somebody would take it off her hands asap. So sold a 3ct F colored VS clarity cushion diamond for $20k--approx the price the vendor thought she could get in a whol sale transaction once the vendor identified a buyer. Take a look at what you consider to be a fair retail price for a similar diamond(F VS 3 Ct cushion). If the offers you received for your diamond were in the same relative range as a percentage of price, you're probably doing quite well. In the grand scheme a 3 Ct F VS is probably more desirable on the market than a 5 Ct brown-yellow.

Another consideration is that your diamond is just short of the magic 5 Ct mark. Anything at or over 5 Ct is not a fair comp because those magic carat weights are worth quite a bit. Do a per carat price comparison on diamonds just above and just below the next full carat weight but are otherwise similar in characteristics. Doesn't matter whether they are or are not comparable to your diamond. You will see that regardless, there are notable per carat price jumps to hit that next weight milestone marker.

Wow, you really kicked it out of the park with this. I have taken into deep consideration your reply. It is very helpful! Thank you very much.

I see, it would be harder to sell it since it is short of that 5ct mark. Still, I am very confident with the price of my stone, but I have considered your reply in order to make my probably long negotiations much more flexible.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your reply very much. Have a nice day!

OxGual

Rough_Rock
Well do list it here in preloved and on loupe troop. Also consider sending it to JBG for consignment. The issue is that for a retailer to benefit from buying it they have to find a buyer, so it’s risky for them.

Ohhh, I get you. Unfortunately, I would not be able to consign it, for reasons I specified in an earlier answer. Nevertheless, I find this very helpful, and I will take it very gladly into consideration.

Thank you very much! Have a nice day!

OxGual

Rough_Rock
It’s a lovely diamond but unfortunately Champagne brown toned coloured diamonds are out of favor. It’s also harder to sell a loose diamond. You might consider setting it in a simple rose gold setting to increase saleability.

Hey, this is a very good idea! Thank you very much, I never thought about it.

Actually, this diamond was part of a gold ring many years ago, but my father, the original owner of this jewel, took the diamond out of it.

Thank you very much for this! I really appreciate it. Have a nice day!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am confused - you want to and have tried to sell it but you can't consign it because it is your mother's property and she doesn't want to sell it? :???:

Are you trying to sell it without her finding out?

Last edited:

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Unless you happen upon just the right buyer, I think you’ll have a tough time getting $20-25k. Your diamond has nice clarity and the coloring is even, which are very helpful for resale. It seems to be a very pretty stone for someone looking for a large brown-yellow round brilliant diamond. The problem is that there probably are not very many people looking for something like your diamond.

It’s rather difficult to find comps. A quick look at James Allen colored diamonds and Leibish (which specializes in colored diamonds) suggests that predominantly brown diamonds with yellow modifiers to the brown are valued a lot lower than orange modifiers to the brown.

You might try contacting diamonds by Lauren. They are a trusted PS vendor that specializes in colored stones.

I’m assuming that your mom does not want her diamond to be in limbo—in somebody else’s hand but without payment. It’s unfortunate as that is probably the best compromise method for a sale.

I’m assuming the diamond is insured. If it’s through your mom’s homeowners insurance, consider getting a new appraisal from an independent appraiser who will give you a fair retail estimate (not one of the typical highly inflated appraisals). There are a few appraisers on PS. Once that is done, look for specialty jewelry insurers, such as Jewelers Mutual. My understanding is that others who have needed to file a claim found jewelers mutual to be easy to deal with. You can get a no deductible policy. That might help with your mom’s concerns about leaving it with someone else.

Also, as previously suggested, a simple setting and phots of the completed ring on a hand may be helpful for visualization.

Of course, all these suggestions require you to invest more time and money into the diamond. You’ll need to determine whether the effort is worthwhile.

Best of luck. I hope you’ll stick around and let us know how things go.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider 20-25k a good offer.

Thanks for asking. Have a nice day!
I don't think you'll get that price for this stone to be honest .

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20-25k are retail prices that retail stores (with overhead) are asking. You are an individual with no return policy and no benefits to the buyer. They
will not be willing to pay you retail prices. We used to tell individuals that were selling stones second hand that they would get approximately 60%
of the retail value (unless it was a super ideal branded stone). Not sure if that value has changed and how that is affected by it being a colored
stone.

I agree with whoever mentioned getting an appraiser from someone who does not sell stones (like the appraisers on Pricescope). They will tell
you what you can expect to get in today's market and discuss different ways of selling it. A good appraiser who knows how the diamond world
works can be really helpful. Be sure to tell them what you are trying to do (sell it).

(select your state)
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers?state=new_york

David Atlas is a well-respected appraiser:
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/david_atlas

Also, agree with contacting Diamonds by Lauren. He deals with a lot of colored stones. He is a diamond vendor.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/

Hope that helps!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for comparison. This is over 5ct and excellent cutting from a highly trusted vendor with a return policy.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/532ct-brown-vs-emerald-diamond-r8613

He's asking 27k.

Another one over 5cts from the same vendor, hes asking 25k
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...yellowish-brown-si2-cushion-cut-diamond-r7470

I honestly don't think you'll get 20k for this, given the cut and that you are a private seller. For a store, they might be able to get away with asking 20-25k, but I'd be prepared for 15k, and would take that if I were you.

Edit . James allen has a few that are 4+ ct with gia reports they are selling between 18-20k. None as big as yours, but again they are a retail store w return policy, etc.
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l.../round-cut/4.23-carat-si2-clarity-sku-1957187

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno...I think you could try posting it yourself for 20k and see what kind of offers you get. You could go down from there if needed. Brown may not be the most popular color but some people like it. See this thread, this poster went with a large round light brown stone.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-champagne-engagement-ring.206944

When she sold it she was asking for 40k for the completed ring if i remember correctly (could be wrong about that and i have no idea if she eventually sold it or at what price) My point is, there may be a buyer out there looking for this exact thing.

But if you want to sell it yourself you'll probably want to get more/better photos and video and a 3rd party appraisal from a reputable source (and that person can provide you an escrow service for the transaction). There are threads on all that here if you want to research further.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-take-good-photos-of-your-diamonds.102989/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/best-place-to-sell-a-diamond-ring-quickly.228855/

I understand how your mom may not want to have it off to a consignor for an extended period of time. If you aren't in a rush and are willing to put in the work I think you could do it on your own. On the other hand, a good consignor may be able to get a higher price so you could potentially end up in roughly the same place after the fees. I haven't sold anything like this before so take it with a grain of salt....just based on what I see on these threads.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI All,
(preface to say I didn't read all the answers- sorry if some of this has been covered)
@OxGual-, In my experience, unfortunately, you'll have a tough time getting anywhere near even $20k for such a diamond today.
Recutting won't help- likely it was cut the way it was for a reason.
The issue is finding a buyer.
If you could find a retail buyer....maybe- but even then you're at a disadvantage because it's in a buyer's best interest to buy from an established supplier, as opposed to a private individual.
There are businesses designed to buy diamonds from retail sellers- places with a safe full of hundred dollar bills waiting for someone to walk in with a diamond to sell.
Basically, my experience is that unless they're buying for about 50 cents on the wholesale dollar( at most), they're going to keep the hundred dollar bills.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results