shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With Setting

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site! I have been looking around for awhile to get ideas. Anyways my SO and I made a purchase to get a diamond the other day and now we want to get a new setting for it. It is an older diamond and by no means perfect but is perfect for us.

Roughly
2.9 carats
12.8 x 8.3
Color J
SI2 clarity

img_5338_4_.jpg

My question is does anyone have any suggestions for the setting?

I keep going back and forth. Would the idea of getting a halo take away from the size of the diamond or would it showcase the diamond? Do you think because the diamond is a J the halo would make it look yellow?

The other idea would be to get a setting like the Lauren B one that the diamonds are below the diamond. Would this make the diamond appear brighter?

Last question. The diamond is cut pretty shallow. Is there any type of setting that would actually make it sparkle more or help the cut of the diamond?

Sorry for so many questions!

fullsizerender_5__0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty diamond!!! Congrats!

My tendency is to say that the best halo option would be Victor Canera because he does a perfect micropave halo. You can have the stone prong set if you want. I just wouldn't get any pave setting because you will have major headaches down the road. You could do a slight split shank with a large pear, and that would be my preference, but obviously you can do a single shank, as well.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-anne-marie-split-shank-halo

Yes, I think you'll see just a little color if you put it in a halo, but I am fine with that, personally. At least it indicates it is probably a real diamond!

My other choice would be a very classic setting with side baguettes. Your stone is large enough to do that, and it would be a little less delicate than a pave setting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pear+diamond+ring+side+baguettes&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS706US706&espv=2&biw=1163&bih=536&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT9s64iufPAhWEOCYKHU3mBbEQsAQIhAE

The cut of the diamond is what makes it sparkle (and keeping it clean helps!). So the setting is not going to make it sparkle more.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest I would not halo it. First of all due to the J color and secondly because nice melee (pave) sparkle beautifully and
the difference between them and the shallow cut of your stone may emphasize the lack of depth in your stone. A halo under
the stone like you posted (that you dont see from the top) or pave on the shank is fine (IMO...far enough away from your pear).

I think a 3 stone with baguettes would be nice but just a warning that that setting is a hard one to find a wedding band to go
with. You either have to stick to the matching wedding band or find one that is the sort of the same height as the baguettes.
Means you almost need to be able to try it on in-person. No ordering on-line.
(I used to have my pear in a 3 stone with baguettes. I ended up with a 5 stone wedding band to go with it.)

I prefer a nice solitaire with a basket. Then do something fun with your wedding band (leaves you open to almost anything).
Something like this in yellow or rose gold.

nice_solitaire_1.png

nice_solitaire_basket.png

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Thank you both so much for your replies. I never knew trying to pick a diamond or a setting would be this hard!
My mom's best friend is a jeweler and comes across estate jewelry often! It was basically get a better cut 1.6 carat pear or this 2.9 carat pear. To me the wow factor of the diamond's size was more important! Never in my life did I think I would have a rock that big on my hand!

Thank you for the information on the setting. I guess that makes sense that the setting would not influence the sparkle.

I was 100% for the halo when I was looking at smaller (which was still big in comparison to most) diamond. But at 2.9 I am starting to think it stands well on its own.

Although I like the look of the side stones that just isn't in the cards right now. Maybe years down the road.

I will take a look at Victor Canera website.

Any other opinions?

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Also do you think I could get away with going with white gold? Or have to stick with yellow/rose gold

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlove13|1476894432|4088624 said:
Also do you think I could get away with going with white gold? Or have to stick with yellow/rose gold

If you dont mind that it will probably show a little bit of tint in your stone then white gold/plat by all means. As long as it does
not bother you then go with it! I dont think it would bother me but I tend to want to embrace the color no matter what the color
is.

What color is the setting in that picture?

What is your budget for a setting?

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Hi TyTy333

It is currently in a yellow gold band with a white gold basket!

There is not really a budge because my mom's best friend is making the setting for us once we choose. I adore everyone who has bigger diamonds with their center stone but it is just not for me. I am just between the solitaire or the really small halo to even out the stones appearance I guess.

I just keep seeing all the beautiful pics of pears and go back and forth. Then when I put the diamond on my hand it is so big already!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlove13|1476911719|4088733 said:
Hi TyTy333

It is currently in a yellow gold band with a white gold basket!

There is not really a budge because my mom's best friend is making the setting for us once we choose. I adore everyone who has bigger diamonds with their center stone but it is just not for me. I am just between the solitaire or the really small halo to even out the stones appearance I guess.

I just keep seeing all the beautiful pics of pears and go back and forth. Then when I put the diamond on my hand it is so big already!

Yes, it is big! Certainly big enough to stand on its own (and then some!) I'm not usually a big fan of halos with pears. I think it
boils down to the faceting patterns in pears can be so erratic compared to a nice round brilliant where you see 8 arrows and a pretty
consistent pattern. You have an erratic faceting pattern then you put a lot of little shiny pave around it and you cant see where the
pear ends and the pave begins. Part of the charm of a pear to me is the lovely tear shaped outline. You put a halo on it and you
totally lose that. I have to caviate all the above with it really depends on the halo. There are certain halos that I think are fine with pears (usually more art deco but can be others).

Sleep on it a while...dont make any snap decisions on how to mount it. You want to get it right.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous pear. I love the look of a pear solitaire as well. I also like a pear with trillion side stones, like this: (Bethenny Frankel's ring from her former marriage).

bethenny_pear.jpg

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for all the input!

I am pretty sure that I am going to stick with a solitaire and down the line my SO said I could always upgrade to some side diamonds or add a halo if I really wanted.

We took it over to my jeweler friend tonight and said we would be crazy to add a halo. Why add a halo and make it look bigger when it is already huge. Pictures do not do it justice. Every time he lets me take a peek and put it on I can not believe how big it is!

It was fun seeing it in different lights. According to the paper it is cut shallow but it sparkles like crazy!!! Something I did not notice until seeing it for more than two minutes :)

Do any of you guys know of any baskets that allow or a wedding band to sit flush? Or do all baskets come all the way down to the figure making a contour wedding band?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm of no help with the basket sitting flush. I just am back to say I love your stone. I have a J colored pear pendent and I love it. Have always wondered how a big J pear would look in a ring so thank you for sharing! :love:

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! Made my day hearing someone loved my stone.

A month later and I still have not totally decided on what to do and I drop the ring off today! Oh boy!

The more I look at it the more I lean on keeping it pretty much the same as it is just updated to a platinum basket and yellow gold band.

Any idea for simply the basket? I kind of like how being a solitaire at this carat makes it look impressive and big and do not want to lose that by adding a halo.

I will post a picture of the basket part!

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Ignore my blurry pics.. just quickly took them!

-2_6.jpg

-1_4.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any top down views? It looks like it is set kind of high...do you like it that high? Personally I would have set the pear
more down into the basket (but that's how I like them :) ).

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
The first picture in the thread is the same diamond.

Here is another pic of it. I just took it.

-4_0.jpg

I think I like it set up high. When I look at it then it almost looks like it is floating. It also makes it look larger in my opinion. This is all still so new to me. I never thought I would have a diamond this large and like making it look as big as possible.

My BF and I picked out the diamond online then drove 5 hours to go see it. We got it from a lady who bought it off of someone else in 1990 or earlier. Not really sure. Anyways he told me to think about it before deciding. Now the deadline is here and he really wants to get it done. Maybe that is a sign it will happen soon!

Anyways any ideas or thoughts on getting diamonds on the side of the basket? Sparkle on the side? Not exactly like this pic but just on the top circle of the basket? So from looking at the side it would sparkle a lot and look like part of the one big diamond?

97780e4e-ba2b-406b-802f-d2383c719468.jpg

Sorry for the million questions!

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I like the idea of the stones around the bottom of your stone, on the prongs and the band as you've shown here. It reminds me of the setting that Morgan Stewart of the show "The Rich Kids of Beverly Hills" has for her oval diamond, which I love! I think that would be a stunning choice! It will off-set your stone, giving it some loft and interest from all angles. It will look as if it's floating on a bed of diamonds! Google her and see if you agree with the similarity. Hers might be in rose gold, but you could do any type of metal you like.

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Yes! That was similar to the look I have been looking at now and like the idea of having sparkle from the side views. The only thing is I dont want it to come in straight to the band. Would it be weird getting diamonds only on the top ring of the basket and not the bottom?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlove13|1480625187|4104118 said:
Yes! That was similar to the look I have been looking at now and like the idea of having sparkle from the side views. The only thing is I dont want it to come in straight to the band. Would it be weird getting diamonds only on the top ring of the basket and not the bottom?

Oh, I thought this was your new setting...sorry. You can have the pave where ever you want it (on the basket bar and not on
the shank of the ring). The higher the stone the bigger it looks but....this is already a big stone so you dont need to set it high
plus the higher you have it set the more it tends to get in the way...from my experience (my pear was originally set at 9mm high)
twisted a lot. Now that it is set lower it's more like I'm wearing it instead of its wearing me. IMO, you need to go with what is most
comfortable and that is usually lower not higher.

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Hi again,

I know it's been awhile but wanted to update on what happened so far. I went with the under halo and the first time it did not come out as planned.

Here is the pic

image_1432.jpg

I wasn't happy about the diamond angle underneath and felt too bulky

pearlove13

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone!

I am back and have the final ring!!! I just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on how the final ring turned out!

Also, how are pears supposed to sparkle compared to other diamonds. I feel like mine has some big flash near the round and like a bunch of tiny little ones on the upper part.

IMG_8874.jpg IMG_8902.jpg IMG_8912.jpg IMG_8961.jpg IMG_8980.jpg IMG_9042.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results