shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with sapphire engagement ring search for extreme newbie

kkl16

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm new to PS. I was wondering if you all could help me with the initial stage of my ring search. My boyfriend proposed to me a week ago with a gold wedding band that has been in his family for three generations so we are now looking for an engagement ring.

We have a low budget of about $1500 but I am a pretty low key person and like smaller, cleaner pieces with minimal to moderate bling. I'm looking for a sapphire solitaire ring set in yellow gold.

I'm interested in any opinions about these specs, how realistic they are, and recommendations of where to start my search. Please be brutally honest, haha! :)

I have been poking around online and am somewhat overwhelmed. One thing I have found is that I like more personal feeling designs like Ann McKay's.

In addition I found a listing that caught my eye and was wondering if anyone can tell me what questions to ask the vendor.

-Vintage
-18K Yellow Gold (stamped 18K)
-Oval blue sapphire, ~1.50ct, 7.2mm x 6.5mm, small chip on girdle visible with magnification
-Encircled by 10 Round Brilliant Diamonds, ~0.50ct, I/VS1
-It's $200 over our budget at $1700

sapphire_ring.jpg

Thank you!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help with sapphire engagement ring search for extreme ne

Request a front view of the ring up close and one shot of the ring worn on the finger.

How big is the chip and where is it on the girdle? (near a prong, on the elongated side or short side of the oval)
Blue sapphires will colour shift a little: what is the indoor colour and what is the outdoor colour? Nice sapphires might become a bit violetish indoors and not so good ones will become a muddy gray.
Is this stone heated or untreated? How do you know if it isn't a synthetic? Any proof of that?

What are you options if you need to return the stone because it doesn't meet your expectations?
How long is the review period?
Is there a stocking fee?
Will the refund be a store credit only or do you get a full refund?

Are the diamonds in decent condition (no chips or obvious damage)?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results