shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with sapphire e-ring redesign - 3 stone design

svenska1

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm new here! I lurk a lot but have never posted.

For our 10-yr anniversary we want to redesign my e-ring, and we can't figure out which way to go. Currently I have a 1.28ct (7.02x5.58) natural sapphire with a halo setting and split shank. My husband would like me to do a three stone ring instead, and I could go either way. For some reason I can't attach a file, but I'll keep trying!

Our biggest issue is what side stones. I feel like the sapphire will get lost on my finger unless they are substantial enough. We agree on that, but don't know what cut. I suggest a pair of cushions, about .5ct each. Would that make sense? What other cuts would work? I don't really like half moons, and I'm iffy on trapezoids.

I do have two wedding bands - one vintage bead set Tiffany eternity band, and another princess cut channel set sapphire eternity band. It would be nice to try and carry over some sort of similarities, but I definitely don't think princess cut side stones would look good. I also don't have to wear both bands if it's too much.

Would love thoughts, examples of your rings, etc. Help!

svenska1

Rough_Rock
My current ring. IMG_2189.JPG

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Your sapphire ring is just lovely, and congratulations on 10 years of marriage!
As far as side stones for a 3 stone ring, are you wanting to do more sapphires, or something else? Would you consider your center stone to be an enlongated cushion or more of an oval? (Yes, I'm a little blind and quite can't make it out). That information would be very helpful for making suggestions!

svenska1

Rough_Rock
Your sapphire ring is just lovely, and congratulations on 10 years of marriage!
As far as side stones for a 3 stone ring, are you wanting to do more sapphires, or something else? Would you consider your center stone to be an enlongated cushion or more of an oval? (Yes, I'm a little blind and quite can't make it out). That information would be very helpful for making suggestions!
Thank you! Yes, it is definitely elongated cushion, moreso than oval. And we are definitely thinking diamonds, not more sapphires.

Your question about elongated vs oval is a good one - one thing I was wondering if we could do oval side stones, but I couldn't decide if it's too similar or would look like I'm trying to match unsuccessfully! There is a gorgeous Leon Mege with a cushion and ovals that is amazing, but of course it is since it is 10cts!

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/view-all/three-stone-couture-ring-cushion-sapphire-burmese-detail

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do you like the thicker band or would you like something thinner?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire is lovely. Will the new setting be a single shank? ETA: I love the LM you linked. Those appear to be oval brilliants.

Do you want the diamond side stones to add sparkle or can they be a bit understated? Right now your center stone really holds it's own in the halo, which is good. It gives you more options.

Perhaps oval brilliants set sideways? Rounds would have more sparkle.

svenska1

Rough_Rock
Do you like the thicker band or would you like something thinner?
I think the band has a lot to do with the redesign - I'd like something thinner and not split shank. Not super thin, but not real thick either. Probably thickness somewhere between the two wedding bands I have.

svenska1

Rough_Rock
Your sapphire is lovely. Will the new setting be a single shank? ETA: I love the LM you linked. Those appear to be oval brilliants.

Do you want the diamond side stones to add sparkle or can they be a bit understated? Right now your center stone really holds it's own in the halo, which is good. It gives you more options.

Perhaps oval brilliants set sideways? Rounds would have more sparkle.

Sparkle would be nice and probably what we are going after. I agree the halo emphasizes it now, so if we get rid of the halo, the diamonds really need to be big enough to make the sapphire pop, right?

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
20180114_111053.jpg So please forgive my terrible sketching skills, but what about keeping a diamond halo, and adding 2 pear shaped sapphires to the side? Or pear diamonds?

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the sideways picture. And the borrowing of my 4 year olds marker... :D

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I meant those to be prong set, btw, with a normal no split shank tapered band.

svenska1

Rough_Rock
I meant those to be prong set, btw, with a normal no split shank tapered band.
As a mom of a 4 year old, I understand!

That could be really pretty, with the pears. I think we want to get rid of the halo though (opposite of what most people do right?!). Thoughts on pears with no halo?

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love that idea, pear diamonds or sapphires? Personally i think diamonds would be the better choice, mostly because finding the RIGHT pair of pears would be a very difficult thing to do. Also I'm pretty sure i saw a similar ring posted here not to long ago, I'll see if i can find it

svenska1

Rough_Rock
Love that idea, pear diamonds or sapphires? Personally i think diamonds would be the better choice, mostly because finding the RIGHT pair of pears would be a very difficult thing to do. Also I'm pretty sure i saw a similar ring posted here not to long ago, I'll see if i can find it
Yes, sorry, pear diamonds. We are quite set on diamonds.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love this thread! GReat IDEA!!!

Here are a couple:
The following Picture was posted by Author: AGBF
Tanzanite ring with pear side stones

agbf33.jpg

Lets see if this works..

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ha! Something like that?

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Or
Widget''s unheated burmese sapphire!
unheated burma.JPG

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Trillions or elongated baguettes would also look updated classic.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Im having way to much fun trying to draw someone else's ring. 20180114_143808.jpg

svenska1

Rough_Rock
I know, I've drawn up so much! I had Not considered trillions - that could totally work! Modern but still classic.

My husband has been on the oval train lately, ever since I showed him that Leon Mege setup last night. I'm having a hard time picturing ovals, but I think it could work too.

Would more squared cushions be too clashy?

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Svenska1, have you also considered heart shaped diamond sides? Found these pics of hearts and trillions. image.png image.jpeg image.gif

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of a three stone ring with diamond sides. It would be gorgeous! :kiss2:

svenska1

Rough_Rock
Svenska1, have you also considered heart shaped diamond sides? Found these pics of hearts and trillions. image.png image.jpeg image.gif
The hearts are pretty, but that wouldn't fly with the husband! I do like the trillions a lot!

svenska1

Rough_Rock
We talked about this all night and we just need to hold the ring up with some different side stones. The conversation also wandered to Bezel settings. Would a bezel (either with sides or as a solitaire with halo) significantly darken the stone? We love the color and I get so many compliments, and I'm worried a bezel would ruin it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We talked about this all night and we just need to hold the ring up with some different side stones. The conversation also wandered to Bezel settings. Would a bezel (either with sides or as a solitaire with halo) significantly darken the stone? We love the color and I get so many compliments, and I'm worried a bezel would ruin it.

I wouldn't bezel your sapphire. It's a lovely color and doesn't need the extra size or protection of a bezel. All the sketches/rings you've said you really like are clean and classic. Bezel is a touch more modern. Do you want to go modern?

I also vote for DIAMOND side stones not sapphire.

svenska1

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't bezel your sapphire. It's a lovely color and doesn't need the extra size or protection of a bezel. All the sketches/rings you've said you really like are clean and classic. Bezel is a touch more modern. Do you want to go modern?

I also vote for DIAMOND side stones not sapphire.

I'm not opposed to modern. I'd say I fall between vintage and modern ;)2

We were wondering if I kept the halo and did side stones, if bezeling would be good. We have two young crazy boys, and I always get scared with prongs - my rings bonks everything!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
My current ring. IMG_2189.JPG

Such a pretty sapphire.
One thing I can't figure out is how a1.28 ct sapphire can look so large on your hands?

I recently saw a 2.53 (9.2 x 7.) unset and it looked so tiny on my hands it was depressing.

I love the idea of halo AND pears on the sides - it is very graceful.

But I think that sapphires without halo can look a bit awkward if they are too small.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not opposed to modern. I'd say I fall between vintage and modern ;)2

We were wondering if I kept the halo and did side stones, if bezeling would be good. We have two young crazy boys, and I always get scared with prongs - my rings bonks everything!

So bezel the sapphire inside the halo of diamonds that would also be bezel set? I think the whole ring will have to be taken apart to do this and get the proportions and metal work right. But that's OK right?

I agree with @sapphiredream your stone looks very sizeable.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Svenska, here are more pics for you to see.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone (and ring as is) is beautiful. I've been thinking of resetting an oval sapphire I have. Here are some three stones I have saved.

They're batched below as Bezels,
EBBD50B4-F604-445C-A6E9-C1ECD8BD27EE.jpg

Pears
A9B2A40A-D21F-459E-91C9-43569A40E019.jpg

traps/trillions,
527FE0F8-E122-43BB-B70D-1144BFFF13FF.jpg

trap/round/oval
CA509818-9945-4081-AE05-54AC2C904AF0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results