shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with ruby engagement ring

Laika87

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for advice about purchasing a ruby engagement ring. My partner has decided on an oval ruby, and has given lots of input about the setting, etc, so I'm trying to find the best place to purchase it. I'm looking for a ruby between 5x7mm and 6x8mm. Budget is somewhat flexible (around $5000 for the ring).

I'm leaning toward James Allen, because they have a setting that looks great, a good reputation, and a decent selection of rubies. I like the return policy as well, in case I'm not happy. It seems prices online are a little more competitive than retail outlets. (I live in Canada, if it makes a difference).

So, my questions:
1) Should I have any reservations about using James Allen?
2) I'm thinking about this ruby:
https://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/red-ruby/1.21-carat-oval-sku-19793
Any thoughts? Or alternative suggestions?
3) I find it harder to look at rubies online - JA has such high magnification images that I see imperfections that I don't think I would normally appreciate 'by eye'. Are the small imperfections I see on the zoomed images likely to be significantly noticeable in real life?

I would really appreciate any input!

Many thanks.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stone looks fairly opaque. With rubies, there's so much treatment out there, and the treatment affects the (fair) market value. One thing to thing about would be a lab report to confirm that you're not getting something thats more filler than natural.

This isnt the best cut (its got a bowtie), but:
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G84415

Any chance that a red spinel might appeal? I get that if ruby is a her birthstone this might not be an option, but these might be interesting:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G88258
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-289-modified-oval-brilliant-2-14-cts

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love JA for diamonds but not for coloured stones due to the quality, selection, and price. When it comes to CS, high magnification does not serve much since colour is what sets the price. I would look at Pearlman's as suggested above.

Yes, that ruby looks opaque not transparent, and as I understand 'heat' can mean many things now. Heat-only is not too bad, depending on the temperature, but if other chemicals or color agents are burned into the ruby it becomes almost worthless.
On a side question: Why is such a gem still opaque though it has been heated? Is the heat not supposed to make it transparent?

Laika87

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I've decided to buy one locally - it's just too hard to judge what they look like based only a photo and I'm reluctant to order one online without seeing it in person. I found a jeweler who makes custom rings and can bring in some rubies for me to look. If you're curious, I've attached the photos of the ones I'll see, ranging from 1.08 to 1.18 ct and around $3000.

Re: Spinel, a great thought, but my girlfriend is set on a ruby.

ruby1.jpg

118-749-565-4450t.jpg

109-717-544-4400t290220.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All are extremely poorly cut to show a window where it is dead in the center.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have purchased a ruby through Pearlmans and can attest that it looked like the picture when it arrived. I asked them several questions and requested and received in hand shots of the ruby prior to purchase. They were very accommodating and replied to my emails quickly. I would definitely purchase from them again. If you are nervous about purchasing through them then ask them about their return policy.

Laika87

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your patience... you can tell I've never bought a GS before...

So I spent some time perusing the Pearlman's website, and it seems that two of the stones the jeweler is bringing in are identical to ones listed at Pearlman's - exact same weight, dimensions, and images! There are also two other rubies he's bringing in that don't seem to be on their website. Do he and Pearlman's use a common distributor or is he just buying them from Pearlman's and shipping them up so I can see them? He seems to be charging a small markup on the Pearlman's price (~10%).

Is it uncouth to buy the ruby online and have him make the ring?

Laika87

Rough_Rock
All are extremely poorly cut to show a window where it is dead in the center.
I didn't notice this until you pointed it out, but of course you're right. Does the window significantly affect how the stone looks once it's set in a ring? I've looked at a bunch of rubies now with my girlfriend, and it seems like we differentiate them mostly on color, size, and inclusions/cloudiness. I'm sure the cut has varied significantly between the ones we've seen but I'm not sure we picked up on it. Should the cut be a deal breaker?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for your patience... you can tell I've never bought a GS before...

So I spent some time perusing the Pearlman's website, and it seems that two of the stones the jeweler is bringing in are identical to ones listed at Pearlman's - exact same weight, dimensions, and images! There are also two other rubies he's bringing in that don't seem to be on their website. Do he and Pearlman's use a common distributor or is he just buying them from Pearlman's and shipping them up so I can see them? He seems to be charging a small markup on the Pearlman's price (~10%).

Is it uncouth to buy the ruby online and have him make the ring?

Pearlman's stocks stones from a large online wholesaler called Gem 2000. So they are probably the exact same stones.

Sometimes if you purchase a stone directly from a jewler, they will take responsibility for insuring the stone during the setting process (so if it chips while being set the jewler will have insurance that covers this). If you buy the stone independently than usually it is your responsibility. You should ask your jewler what his policy is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, cut does matter, depending on how well or badly cut it is. With a large window, the middle of the stone will look "dead" with only the outer edges sparkling. In addition, the windowed area leaks light through so instead of seeing the red colour, you will see either the finger or setting underneath. Another thing to look out for is extinction and bowties, bleeding of colour, colour zoning, and any colour shifting as the stone is viewed under different types of lighting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results