shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Restoration/Emerald Line Bracelet

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I got this platinum line bracelet at an auction, so a risky purchase I know. I am going to send it to AGL to confirm the description. Some of the emeralds have some damage, and I was wondering if anyone has done restoration and has any advice or suggestions.

I have no idea if the color is good or not. It glows and seems saturated and I love that. It is 18 CT’s of emeralds, so feels substantial on my wrist. It’s my first line bracelet.

Thanks for your feedback! 4CEB50D5-7B9E-4505-8290-B3585D036EA7.jpeg

Attachments

• 6367BC26-4CEA-4DE4-A4D0-0A2B9E62FD1A.jpeg
    6367BC26-4CEA-4DE4-A4D0-0A2B9E62FD1A.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 9813CCF2-9B9F-4632-BEA5-8FD1E78DD9B6.jpeg
    9813CCF2-9B9F-4632-BEA5-8FD1E78DD9B6.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 3B00A387-090B-4DFB-909A-303D52044C8F.jpeg
    3B00A387-090B-4DFB-909A-303D52044C8F.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 928A3D23-9674-4E88-8AD4-9E59CE5E4A60.jpeg
    928A3D23-9674-4E88-8AD4-9E59CE5E4A60.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 96
  • 67F9BB09-5159-417C-BA25-F48A32F8AEE3.jpeg
    67F9BB09-5159-417C-BA25-F48A32F8AEE3.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 102
  • 2B8DD76E-AD50-4E81-A0BC-DCCD4D6AF610.jpeg
    2B8DD76E-AD50-4E81-A0BC-DCCD4D6AF610.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 438
  • E3C017F8-3FCE-49AE-B8DD-340DEDBF631B.jpeg
    E3C017F8-3FCE-49AE-B8DD-340DEDBF631B.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 80

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Your emerald collection is beautiful
I know Sako from cicada jewelry does gem cuttings and lapidary.

I have heard of him. Thanks.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Update: I went to my local jeweler today with the emerald bracelet, and she couldn’t tell if the bracelet is emerald or not—no incandescent lighting. So I went to Pacific Gem Lab. They couldn’t tell either. So the bracelet is going to Stone Group Labs. The color and clarity—although there are some inclusions—are suspicious. Better to find out and send it back if it was mis-represented.

Fingers crossed, but usually if things are too good to be true, well they’re not good. At least that is my experience.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
The details of the big emerald ring...would you pls show it off more?!

2b8dd76e-ad50-4e81-a0bc-dccd4d6af610-jpeg.930444

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea if the color is good or not. It glows and seems saturated and I love that. It is 18 CT’s of emeralds, so feels substantial on my wrist. It’s my first line bracelet.

That is a sensational bracelet! I love Deco line bracelets!

They are almost suspiciously clean so I agree with getting a report. If it's real, I would not replace that one stone. These things take a lot of abuse and those chips look superficial and it does not look like a sizable chunk of gem is about to fall out. For metalwork alone, I have seen Gary Roe do amazing stuff with old Deco bracelets.

Even if it is era-appropriate faux, I still think it's amazing. In your favor, the links all seem custom-length and not identical; however, the "engraving" is not detailed and looks almost stamped, and it seems too uniform to be just age-associated wear. But I am making all of this up.

I have admired this on eBay for a long time, apart from the "Costco-style" packaging (i.e., "do I really need two of these?!"):

Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 11.20.17 PM.png

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
That is a sensational bracelet! I love Deco line bracelets!

They are almost suspiciously clean so I agree with getting a report. If it's real, I would not replace that one stone. These things take a lot of abuse and those chips look superficial and it does not look like a sizable chunk of gem is about to fall out. For metalwork alone, I have seen Gary Roe do amazing stuff with old Deco bracelets.

Even if it is era-appropriate faux, I still think it's amazing. In your favor, the links all seem custom-length and not identical; however, the "engraving" is not detailed and looks almost stamped, and it seems too uniform to be just age-associated wear. But I am making all of this up.

I have admired this on eBay for a long time, apart from the "Costco-style" packaging (i.e., "do I really need two of these?!"):
Thank you for the reply! It is very reassuring to hear your 'take' on the situation. I am on pins and needles waiting to hear the results. My appraiser assures me that Stone Group Labs is very respected and will solve the puzzle. I know Lang uses them, but this is my first time with them.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My appraiser assures me that Stone Group Labs is very respected and will solve the puzzle. I know Lang uses them, but this is my first time with them.

Yes! I am not sure why Lang uses them but they seem reputable. I have noticed that for emeralds, they do not use what I'll call the "tornado scale" (F1, etc.) and instead just say evidence of treatment or not, IIRC. But in this case I assume that you mostly want to know genuine or not.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! I am not sure why Lang uses them but they seem reputable. I have noticed that for emeralds, they do not use what I'll call the "tornado scale" (F1, etc.) and instead just say evidence of treatment or not, IIRC. But in this case I assume that you mostly want to know genuine or not.

My appraiser said to use them because it will cost less than AGL! Now looking for genuine or not and origin. If those check out, I will send to AGL for treatment tornado scale. If not genuine, Stone will be enough to force a refund.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Preliminary telephone report: Stone Group like all of us, was initially suspicious that the emeralds are labs, but the current feeling is that they are not. So I am going forward with the full report, origin treatment etc. 16 total stones, 18 carats for $700.

I am in happy shock. Been prepared for a battle with the vendor.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Preliminary telephone report: Stone Group like all of us, was initially suspicious that the emeralds are labs, but the current feeling is that they are not. So I am going forward with the full report, origin treatment etc. 16 total stones, 18 carats for $700.

I am in happy shock. Been prepared for a battle with the vendor.

Well, hot damn! That's encouraging!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inquiring minds want to know how you find such amazing pieces! How crazy that it is real, crazy and awesome. Wow, what a score!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Inquiring minds want to know how you find such amazing pieces! How crazy that it is real, crazy and awesome. Wow, what a score!

It was at EBTH.com, same as the cluster ring. You’ve been too kind, sharing lovely things. Of course I will share.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone Group like all of us, was initially suspicious that the emeralds are labs, but the current feeling is that they are not.

That is at least tied for the coolest news I have ever heard on PS!

If those are genuine, they are insanely nice! Easily a six-figure bracelet, right? Perfectly matched and perfectly clean?! I guess it pays to ask the experts.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
That is at least tied for the coolest news I have ever heard on PS!

If those are genuine, they are insanely nice! Easily a six-figure bracelet, right? Perfectly matched and perfectly clean?! I guess it pays to ask the experts.

I know! Crazy making. That NEVER happens, that nicer stones are real! I still think they maybe are wrong…

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still think they maybe are wrong…

Maybe -- but it's exciting "just to be nominated." The fact that a solid lab can not say for certain is fascinating in of itself.

Do you know anything about the origin, provenance, etc?

We just know that this will be the fate of our handful of decent things -- spread out on a tablecloth at a yard sale! Lucky finds for somebody...

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe -- but it's exciting "just to be nominated." The fact that a solid lab can not say for certain is fascinating in of itself.

Do you know anything about the origin, provenance, etc?

We just know that this will be the fate of our handful of decent things -- spread out on a tablecloth at a yard sale! Lucky finds for somebody...
So exciting! I am still humming.

Yes. That is why I try to save receipts and get lab reports where practical.

I know nothing except art deco platinum emerald: the auction description.

In my experience this auction Co is pretty conservative with their condition reports, and that is what I went by, the color description. 9D226BAC-C223-4B52-B0C4-D895A80665B3.jpeg
And it’s beyond thrilling to get this close to having ‘a find.’

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Another update from Stone Group Labs.
The good news: all natural emeralds.
The not so good news: origin is global! African, Brazilian, Columbian and possibly Russian.

In a way, it is a win because I would be nervous to wear such an expensive piece, as an all Columbian bracelet would be. And the colors are incredibly well matched, which is why I wanted it in the first place.

Now I will have to decide if I want to pursue treatment levels by resubmitting to AGL or GIA.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Another update from Stone Group Labs.
The not so good news: origin is global! African, Brazilian, Columbian and possibly Russian.

In a way, it is a win because I would be nervous to wear such an expensive piece, as an all Columbian bracelet would be. And the colors are incredibly well matched, which is why I wanted it in the first place.

Now I will have to decide if I want to pursue treatment levels by resubmitting to AGL or GIA.

Holy smokes! Origin aside - what a score!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it makes it all the more amazing (!) -- whoever assembled it had access to a remarkable breadth of material and did an incredible job matching for color and quality. It probably reduces the likelihood that it's all untreated. But who could have created such a thing in the first place?!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I think it makes it all the more amazing (!) -- whoever assembled it had access to a remarkable breadth of material and did an incredible job matching for color and quality. It probably reduces the likelihood that it's all untreated. But who could have created such a thing in the first place?!

Yes, I agree. I suspect a colored stone dealer matched the stones from his hoard!
It is amazing they match so well and were not mined together.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh. Whether to check for treatment?
Do they check all or a random %?

Even still. Curiosity killed the cat. We don’t have cats. I’d do it. :)

It looks lovely!!!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh. Whether to check for treatment?
Do they check all or a random %?

Even still. Curiosity killed the cat. We don’t have cats. I’d do it. :)

It looks lovely!!!

I got the report today. Rather limited in scope it seems. However, chatting with the appraiser I got a little more info. Most of the stones are Colombian or Russian—they couldn’t say for sure which origin. A few are Zambian/Brazilian. My best guess is that this bracelet was restored with modern stones—Zambian emeralds are a more recent discovery. Treatment mild to moderate.

The good news is how well the stones match.

Now I need to consider if more testing is what I want to do. And what would I do with the info? Replace the non-Colombian stones? Might be too much to hope for.

Attachments

• 89151 Wilson SGL Emerald Report.pdf
    216.6 KB · Views: 5
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results