shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Radiant Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jrdenver

Rough_Rock
I have done a lot of research on PS, and am probably going to have to buy my setting from a local shop, but still want to get my stone online (either whiteflash or Bluenile).

The picture is from their website using their shopping tool. I can''t help but feel like it makes a 1ct stone look really small (looking in the store didn''t seem to).

I may have to go larger (1.25 or 1.5), which stretches my budget a bit, however she doesn''t care as much about the stone as the setting (she HAS to have this setting, and she really wants a square-ish radiant cut).

Does this look absolutely stupid? Do I ask them to kite set it? Or, do I just bite the bullet and get the 1.5ct?

calla.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 7:19:43 PM
Author:jrdenver
I have done a lot of research on PS, and am probably going to have to buy my setting from a local shop, but still want to get my stone online (either whiteflash or Bluenile).

The picture is from their website using their shopping tool. I can't help but feel like it makes a 1ct stone look really small (looking in the store didn't seem to).

I may have to go larger (1.25 or 1.5), which stretches my budget a bit, however she doesn't care as much about the stone as the setting (she HAS to have this setting, and she really wants a square-ish radiant cut).

Does this look absolutely stupid? Do I ask them to kite set it? Or, do I just bite the bullet and get the 1.5ct?
At first glance the setting doesn't look quite right to me, then on further reflection I realize it looks like a bow. I think a larger centre diamond would look better. As you want a radiant I can't stress enough how important it is to buy from a vendor who has in house diamonds and all the images and info available so you can make the right choice. Radiants are tricky and cannot be evaluated by numbers alone.

Try these vendors also

www.goodoldgold.com

www.highperformancediamonds.com Wink might be able to source you a nice radiant

www.jamesallen.com

www.pearlmansjewelers.com

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know the carat weight of the sides diamonds just for comparison? I have used some of those tools on diamond
websites and the sizes of the stones dont always come across as the right size compared to the setting. Dont know
if thats what might be happening or not.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
It almost looks as though the center stone is being shown actual size and the setting itself is enlarged. Do you have a "real life" sized image of the setting? We may be better able to judge how it will look if you do. I personally wouldn''t kite set it.

Good luck finding your radiant. I have one and absolutely love them. They''re a bit tricky to pick out, but when you see "the one" you''ll know it.
1.gif

jrdenver

Rough_Rock

So i bit the bullet & bought the setting from Shane Co. I wouldn't buy the stone from them (despite their efforts). They were the only "Calla" authorized distributor in Denver.

For the stone, I ended up using a brick and mortar shop here in Denver since my friend's wife is the book keeper. I spent about 10% more than BN or WF, but I was able to sit down & physically compare a dozen or so stones. Since this shop has done other repairs for me for free, and sent it to me via courier (out of county to avoid some of the taxes), I was ok with paying a little extra. Considering everyone I spoke with wanted $250-$400 to mount the stone, I was just about break even once it was all said and done.

Ironically, the one I picked was a grade less in clarity (SI1 vs VS2) AND color (G vs F), plus .23ct smaller (1.00 vs 1.23), but looks better than the one I went in to buy. The bigger one wasn't cut as well, so they looked almost the same size. The only inclusion is under a prong, and the "independent" appraiser said it was VS1 while looking through a loop (I didn't tell him it was GIA certed & already appraised until after he gave me his opinion).

I am proposing either tomorrow or Saturday at Garden of the Gods here in Colorado Springs. Wish me luck... I have been SUPER anxious all week (and can't sleep tonight!).

aepjr042309ring.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats and best of luck with the proposal!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats. Did you end up getting a radiant? It's a little hard for me to tell from the pic if it's a radiant or princess.

Good luck this weekend on the proposal!
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck.

jrdenver

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 8:13:04 AM
Author: girlie-girl
Congrats. Did you end up getting a radiant? It''s a little hard for me to tell from the pic if it''s a radiant or princess.

Good luck this weekend on the proposal!
1.gif

I did. Found one that was .06mm off from perfectly square =)

The prongs sort of hide that the corners aren''t pointy...

and... She said yes.

Thanks everyone =)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
1.gif
Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results