shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Purchase, 3 diamonds to choose from

jsnnew

Rough_Rock
Hello PS,

I've been lurking and making use of the guides and threads on PS and am about to purchase a diamond. I'm fortunate enough that she is not worried about carat size and liked the look of a .3 carat princess cut in a solitaire arrangement.

I’ve decided on a halo setting which I also found on PS, third picture in this link https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/engagement-rings/halo-rings

My friends have recommended me a diamond supplier in my locale (Australia) but unfortunately they do not have diamonds in the office to view.

So I’ve been looking online, I’ve found two according to guides which appear to be excellent for their size, price wise their around the same which is ~$2k plus gst (goods tax)

The first one is
Round Brilliant – scores a 1.1 on HCA
Measurements 5.11 - 5.13 x 3.09 mm
Carat Weight 0.49 carat
Color Grade F
Clarity Grade VS1
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 60.4 %
Table 59 %
Crown Angle 33.0°
Crown Height 13.5%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle -Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet -None
Polish -Very Good
Symmetry -Very Good
Fluorescence -None
clarity characteristics -Crystal, Feather, Cloud

And the second one

Round Brilliant – scores 1.8 on HCA
Measurements 5.11 - 5.14 x 3.14 mm
Carat Weight 0.49 carat
Color Grade F
Clarity Grade VS2
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 61.3 %
Table 56 %
Crown Angle 34.5°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle -Thin to Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet -None
Polish -Excellent
Symmetry -Excellent
Fluorescence -None
clarity characteristics -Feather, Cloud

Based on those scores/specs, what would you choose? Unfortunatley I can't actually view the diamond or supply pictures but they are the best priced when i look at comparative diamonds. They are about $50 apart so it doesnt matter which one i choose.

Initially i was looking at a cushion cut diamond but the one I found which was a vs2 was not eye clean, when the diamond store checked.

Thanks in advance!

jsnnew

Rough_Rock
Also found this which I thought was different, a lil smaller than the rounds but unique in the world of modified cushion brilliants

Cushion Brilliant

Measurements
4.93 x 4.70 x 3.03 mm
Carat Weight
0.50 carat
Color Grade
F
Clarity Grade
VVS1

proportions

Depth
64.4 %
Table
58 %
Girdle
Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet
None

Polish
Excellent
Symmetry
Very Good
Fluorescence
None
clarity characteristics
Pinpoint

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the second one, if we only have to choose from numbers. The table is better than #1 and so are the angles (I like the crown angle to be 34-35 and table 54-58).

The third one, the cushion, is so much smaller that I'd have to rule it out in this weight. But the main reason I'd rule it out is that you cannot buy a fancy cut diamond without photos. It could look horrible or great. Numbers are not adequate for cushions or any fancy shape.

jsnnew

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice diamondseeker, found out that the second diamond has been sold so I've ended up purchasing the first one. Hopefully it's as good as HCA says it is.

And thanks for the tip about fancy diamonds, on paper that cushion sounded really good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results