shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with prong orientation (for Vatche 6-prong ER)

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I posted a separate question on another thread re: values for insurance coverage in case anyone has some thoughts to add - https://www.pricescope.com/communit...e-your-whiteflash-diamond-mrs-b.263683/page-2

But I also wanted to start a new thread re: the ER to get your collective input. Mods: if this should be in SMTB instead, I apologize as I figured I would post pictures there once we actually receive the rings. :wink2:

The really good news: The Vatche ER and wedding bands finally arrived at WF. And the diamonds are all so sparkly in the pics! Based on another PS’er, I also asked that Vatche try to match the bands as close as possible and from the pics, it seems like they did just that. It’s been a long wait, but hopefully worth it!

The not so good news: We had requested the arrows be offset and symmetrical to the prongs, but that was not doable due to the inscription location apparently.…. But then something else felt off to me, and that’s when I realized Vatche used an offset prong position as well (starting at 11 o’clock vs 12 o’clock). From Vatche's mockup pics, it looked like the prongs were positioned more traditionally starting at 12, so that's what I had expected.

Here is what Vatche had sent as a mockup (they didn’t provide a top down view):
1.jpg 2.jpg

And here are the pictures I received! (per @Dmndsr4evr11 ’s request):
Vatche-Semi-Custom-Charis-Pave-Diamond-Wedding-Ring-Set-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_60701_6373...jpg Vatche-Semi-Custom-Charis-Pave-Diamond-Wedding-Ring-Set-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_60701_6373...jpg Vatche-Semi-Custom-Charis-Pave-Diamond-Wedding-Ring-Set-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_60701_6373...jpg

Similar topic (past) thread - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/orientation-of-mrb-arrows-in-relation-to-prongs.261237/ I was thinking the ring would be set like Option B2

Re: the arrows - I hope it's an easy fix for WF to rotate the diamond so that the arrows are no longer offset and they sit symmetrical to the current prongs (mind-clean thing for me). That isn’t unreasonable, correct?

Re: the prong position - my dear fiancé previously indicated that she liked the more traditional prong orientation in pictures. But we may need to revisit that again. She had commented that a 4-prong head made round diamonds look squarish. And to me, the 6-prong offset head kinda gives that same vibe as the 4-prong from the top view. But maybe it will seem different and perfectly fine in person and on her finger???

@MamaBee - you previously had a setting with the offset prongs and I think now have one that is more traditional… may I ask why you decided to change?

Becca at WF has been sooooo helpful and patient with me. She really is the best! And I also feel like I’ve been the toughest, bothersome customer already with tons of questions and follow ups since December, and feel bad about that.

All that said…. I did go ahead and send a reply to Becca asking her to also take a look when she can. I have confidence in her and WF, but is there anything else that you would suggest I do to help beyond discussing the prong orientation thing with my fiancé this weekend (and finalizing the insurance application with JM)?

Thanks again to everyone for their guidance and support on this journey. :)

Last edited:

thecatmom

Rough_Rock
Wow! That's one gorgeous ring and band set! Personally, I wouldn't mind slightly mis-aligned diamond arrows, but the prong-alignment is important.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
The set is beautiful, @Bruin Ring. The prong orientation is a personal choice. There’s another thread here with Vatche prongs being not as expected tab vs claw. Did vatche set your stone or WF? Now that I have my ring after being unsure whether I wanted traditional 12 o’clock vs offset at 11 o’clock, I’m glad I went with the traditional 12 o’clock. Again, it’s a personal choice. The arrows on mine are a little off centered so the prongs aren’t covering it. It’s perfectly fine for me as you won’t see the arrows that distinctly when you’re wearing it. It’s more apparently only in certain lighting. So that’s fine with me. It’s whatever your fiancé prefers.

Can you see the arrows on mine? It’s in front of a sunny window. ATTACH]825566[/ATTACH]

And the second pic is when the sunny window is behind me.

Attachments

• 208621CB-2CBC-44EB-9D35-D002049956E6.jpeg
    208621CB-2CBC-44EB-9D35-D002049956E6.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 21C26D0D-9DEF-4037-BC54-3D57557A29C8.jpeg
    21C26D0D-9DEF-4037-BC54-3D57557A29C8.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 25

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is beautiful! I don‘t worry about how my arrows line up but once I had a jeweler set my stone with prongs like yours...at 11 and one, etc. I went back and had him switch to the traditional 12 and 6 o’clock points. I love looking at my stone from the side and the prong at the 3 o’clock point blocked my view when It was set that way. Of course I could turn my hand a bit but I was used to see it just diamond at that point!

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I took a peek at the Vatche website and all of the 6-prong solitaire and pave rings shown have 12 and 6 oriented prongs. Same goes for the ones shown on the WF site. If those 2 pics you shared were the only ones they sent you, the angle doesn't clearly show the prong difference. I think it's reasonable to expect what's shown in all the pics.

Would rotating the head to the preferred position solve the inscription problem too?

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
The set is beautiful, @Bruin Ring. The prong orientation is a personal choice. There’s another thread here with Vatche prongs being not as expected tab vs claw. Did vatche set your stone or WF? Now that I have my ring after being unsure whether I wanted traditional 12 o’clock vs offset at 11 o’clock, I’m glad I went with the traditional 12 o’clock. Again, it’s a personal choice. The arrows on mine are a little off centered so the prongs aren’t covering it. It’s perfectly fine for me as you won’t see the arrows that distinctly when you’re wearing it. It’s more apparently only in certain lighting. So that’s fine with me. It’s whatever your fiancé prefers.

Can you see the arrows on mine? It’s in front of a sunny window. ATTACH]825566[/ATTACH]

And the second pic is when the sunny window is behind me.
Thanks again, @Dmndsr4evr11 ... I was partial to the traditional non-pave solitaire setting, but my fiancé preferred the pave setting and I think she made an excellent choice! I also have to thank @diamondseeker2006 for her recommendation to purchase the matching wedding band at the same time.

I was told that the stone was sent to Vatche and they handled everything. Since my SA hasn't seen the final rings either, hopefully she can provide her thoughts on Monday. Ultimately, like you said, it will come down to whatever my fiancé prefers. I think the arrows symmetry is more of a mind-clean thing for me than for my fiancé. BTW, I still love your ring and diamond!! :kiss2:

Your ring is beautiful! I don‘t worry about how my arrows line up but once I had a jeweler set my stone with prongs like yours...at 11 and one, etc. I went back and had him switch to the traditional 12 and 6 o’clock points. I love looking at my stone from the side and the prong at the 3 o’clock point blocked my view when It was set that way. Of course I could turn my hand a bit but I was used to see it just diamond at that point!
Hi @Patty ... thank you!! Appreciate you sharing your experience on this. I never really considered how the side view could block the diamond, but that's a good point and will make sure to mention to my fiancé when we discuss.

I took a peek at the Vatche website and all of the 6-prong solitaire and pave rings shown have 12 and 6 oriented prongs. Same goes for the ones shown on the WF site. If those 2 pics you shared were the only ones they sent you, the angle doesn't clearly show the prong difference. I think it's reasonable to expect what's shown in all the pics.

Would rotating the head to the preferred position solve the inscription problem too?
Thanks @MrsBlue for taking a look at both their sites. Yes, those were the only 2 pics that were shared by Vatche, so I think that's why my heart sank a bit when I saw the top view pic yesterday. It was just different than what I had expected. There is an additional picture on WF's site of a semi-custom, 6-prong head and it had the 12 and 6 oriented prongs too. I'll paste it below.

Yes, I think rotating the head would solve the inscription problem and they would just need to slightly adjust the stone so it's symmetrical.

Picture of another Vatche Charis Pave 6-Prong on WF's site, but with prongs not offset (versus the red picture in the original post):
Charis_Pave_6-Prong.jpg

If my fiancé decides she still prefers the more traditional 12 and 6 oriented prongs in the purple pic above, how easy of a fix will it be for WF and/or Vatche to rotate the head without compromising the integrity and finish of the ring?

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
If my fiancé decides she still prefers the more traditional 12 and 6 oriented prongs in the purple pic above, how easy of a fix will it be for WF and/or Vatche to rotate the head without compromising the integrity and finish of the ring?

With some rings the head is easily replaced but yours has pave pretty high up so it's best to ask.

Respectfully, you had every reason to expect a 6 and 12 ring based on the information available to you and you shouldn't have to settle for something different based on what's easier for the vendor. You may have to wait for a change or replacement so be sure to take that into consideration as well. Talk to them and see if you can work something out.

Full disclosure: This sort of minor asymmetry would drive me batty too. Like having a crooked picture hanging somewhere in the living room (shudders).

thecatmom

Rough_Rock
Personally I prefer the 12-6 alignment on round diamond because it accentuates the roundness of the diamond, vs. the 11-1 alignment which makes a round diamond look slightly more angular. It all comes down to personal preference though. If you and your fiancé prefer the 12-6 alignment, it is worth it to communicate that to your SA. This is an important purchase and you want to be completely happy and satisfied with it. Also WF SAs are super-helpful and professional (from my experience) and would likely handle your concerns well.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I posted a separate question on another thread re: values for insurance coverage in case anyone has some thoughts to add - https://www.pricescope.com/communit...e-your-whiteflash-diamond-mrs-b.263683/page-2

But I also wanted to start a new thread re: the ER to get your collective input. Mods: if this should be in SMTB instead, I apologize as I figured I would post pictures there once we actually receive the rings. :wink2:

The really good news: The Vatche ER and wedding bands finally arrived at WF. And the diamonds are all so sparkly in the pics! Based on another PS’er, I also asked that Vatche try to match the bands as close as possible and from the pics, it seems like they did just that. It’s been a long wait, but hopefully worth it!

The not so good news: We had requested the arrows be offset and symmetrical to the prongs, but that was not doable due to the inscription location apparently.…. But then something else felt off to me, and that’s when I realized Vatche used an offset prong position as well (starting at 11 o’clock vs 12 o’clock). From Vatche's mockup pics, it looked like the prongs were positioned more traditionally starting at 12, so that's what I had expected.

Here is what Vatche had sent as a mockup (they didn’t provide a top down view):
1.jpg 2.jpg

And here are the pictures I received! (per @Dmndsr4evr11 ’s request):
Vatche-Semi-Custom-Charis-Pave-Diamond-Wedding-Ring-Set-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_60701_6373...jpg Vatche-Semi-Custom-Charis-Pave-Diamond-Wedding-Ring-Set-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_60701_6373...jpg Vatche-Semi-Custom-Charis-Pave-Diamond-Wedding-Ring-Set-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_60701_6373...jpg

Similar topic (past) thread - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/orientation-of-mrb-arrows-in-relation-to-prongs.261237/ I was thinking the ring would be set like Option B2

Re: the arrows - I hope it's an easy fix for WF to rotate the diamond so that the arrows are no longer offset and they sit symmetrical to the current prongs (mind-clean thing for me). That isn’t unreasonable, correct?

Re: the prong position - my dear fiancé previously indicated that she liked the more traditional prong orientation in pictures. But we may need to revisit that again. She had commented that a 4-prong head made round diamonds look squarish. And to me, the 6-prong offset head kinda gives that same vibe as the 4-prong from the top view. But maybe it will seem different and perfectly fine in person and on her finger???

@MamaBee - you previously had a setting with the offset prongs and I think now have one that is more traditional… may I ask why you decided to change?

Becca at WF has been sooooo helpful and patient with me. She really is the best! And I also feel like I’ve been the toughest, bothersome customer already with tons of questions and follow ups since December, and feel bad about that.

All that said…. I did go ahead and send a reply to Becca asking her to also take a look when she can. I have confidence in her and WF, but is there anything else that you would suggest I do to help beyond discussing the prong orientation thing with my fiancé this weekend (and finalizing the insurance application with JM)?

Thanks again to everyone for their guidance and support on this journey. :)

@Bruin Ring The first setting that was done by Whiteflash came with the prong orientation without any input from me. I knew I was going to upgrade the following year so I didn’t even worry about it. I didn’t have an opinion either way for the second one so I just let them set it the way they wanted. They set it in the 12/6 orientation. It’s strange that it came set differently each time...I like it better this way...I do plan on getting a final reset by David Klass but I’m too worried to send it off. When I do I will do the 12/6 again. Sorry I’m not much help!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer the 12/6 orientation to have the stone appear more round.

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
With some rings the head is easily replaced but yours has pave pretty high up so it's best to ask.

Respectfully, you had every reason to expect a 6 and 12 ring based on the information available to you and you shouldn't have to settle for something different based on what's easier for the vendor. You may have to wait for a change or replacement so be sure to take that into consideration as well. Talk to them and see if you can work something out.

Full disclosure: This sort of minor asymmetry would drive me batty too. Like having a crooked picture hanging somewhere in the living room (shudders).

@MrsBlue - LOL! re: Full disclosure and shudders. I can definitely relate! :eek-2:

Thank you for your respectful thoughts on this. I also wanted to make sure that I didn't incorrectly interpret how the prongs would look, based on the pictures and alluding to the lower right picture on Whiteflash's education page - https://www.whiteflash.com/jewelry-education/should-prongs-and-arrows-line-up

We've waited long enough to find a diamond, travel to Houston and finalize the setting... so waiting a bit longer to resolve this won't be an issue for either of us if we go that route. I am partial to the 6 and 12 orientation, so we'll see.

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
Personally I prefer the 12-6 alignment on round diamond because it accentuates the roundness of the diamond, vs. the 11-1 alignment which makes a round diamond look slightly more angular. It all comes down to personal preference though. If you and your fiancé prefer the 12-6 alignment, it is worth it to communicate that to your SA. This is an important purchase and you want to be completely happy and satisfied with it. Also WF SAs are super-helpful and professional (from my experience) and would likely handle your concerns well.
@thecatmom - Totally agree! I've tried to ensure this was a cooperative, mutual experience for us both, so we'll need to discuss the orientation together too. I also prefer the 12-6 orientation. Only hiccup is that the matching wedding band purchase was going to be a surprise, so.... she might find out sooner than expected. I also don't want to put my SA nor WF in an awkward position about this either, so will have to see how it goes.

@Bruin Ring The first setting that was done by Whiteflash came with the prong orientation without any input from me. I knew I was going to upgrade the following year so I didn’t even worry about it. I didn’t have an opinion either way for the second one so I just let them set it the way they wanted. They set it in the 12/6 orientation. It’s strange that it came set differently each time...I like it better this way...I do plan on getting a final reset by David Klass but I’m too worried to send it off. When I do I will do the 12/6 again. Sorry I’m not much help!
@MamaBee - Very interesting that they came differently. Seems like it's up to the bench/ringmaker to make that decision in many cases. Sounds like you preferred the second setting though. Thanks for the feedback!

I also prefer the 12/6 orientation to have the stone appear more round.
@Kim N - thank you for your thoughts as well. That was my initial thinking, but will see what my fiancé and then SA also have to say too. Just don't want to see the ring get messed up in some way if we do have it corrected. :???:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@Bruin Ring The prong orientation is a personal preference. If she prefers 12-6 now she’ll prefer 12-6 later, having 3-9 will bothers her more and more overtime. If it were me, if I know it’s not as I wanted it to be, I won’t be bothered having it sent to me and waste time. Might as well save the time and fix it when they still have it. 3-9 orientation looks more like 4prongs rather than 6 prongs. If she likes the round feel of 6prongs I think she’ll prefer 12-6.

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
@Dancing Fire - so cool that Vatche himself set your wife's ring! Thanks for advising how he set it too.

@munchee - very good point. Fortunately, WF didn't ship out the rings on Friday as scheduled, so that at least helps. She wasn't a fan of the 4 prongs (thus the request to do 6 prongs vs. the standard 4 prongs on this setting). So I'm thinking she'll say she prefers the 12-6... as she stated previously. She is traveling for fun this weekend so I'm trying to not bother her with this, but I did mention we'll want to discuss prongs and arrows when she's home and before WF can ship.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've waited long enough to find a diamond, travel to Houston and finalize the setting... so waiting a bit longer to resolve this won't be an issue for either of us if we go that route. I am partial to the 6 and 12 orientation, so we'll see.
Shouldn't be a big deal just have WF rotate the stone.

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU everyone for your collective thoughts and input on this. :) I really appreciate it. As @Dancing Fire said, if we do have WF/Vatche change the prong orientation to 6 and 12, hopefully it won't be a big deal. I think that's my biggest concern.

After that heartbreaking loss this evening, I think I'm going to logoff and take an evening walk. Catch everyone tomorrow... happy Easter too!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
IMHO the 12-6 looks much more tidy and classical.

Vatche should have sent you a mock up with a top down view.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Your post made me check my ring, which is the vatché u113. I (well, my now-husband) purchased stone and setting through ID Jewelry and I believe the stone was set at Vatché. It's 12-6 orientation.

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
I wanted to provide everyone with an update. :) I was able to touch base with WF, who also sent me a picture of the rings from their office setting. The diamond looks so sparkly, and the matching band looks great I think.

WF was very understanding about my questions and concerns re: the ER, and Vera is now looking into what it will take to correct the prongs to an even #s, 12-6 orientation. Hopefully it is doable and won't impact the integrity or finish of the ring.

And per @Dancing Fire's note, WF also believes they can rotate the stone, but they will confirm. If they can adjust the prongs, we're going to re-request the Option #2 layout above, which I think/hope will not cover the inscription either.

Fortunately we have not been in a rush, and WF still has the rings, so now just trying to sit tight at this point.... 8)

Set.jpg

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
Alrighty... WF confirmed that they should be able to make both corrections, and I sent them a picture of Option #2 as the preferred layout. WF is hopeful the corrections will be completed by EOW, and will send me pictures prior to shipping.

Fingers and toes continue to remain crossed that everything will work out fine and dandy. Will keep you posted! :wink2:

Bruin Bling

Rough_Rock
And we finally joined the SMTB club! Yay!

Please feel free to take a peek if you wish...

Thanks again, everyone! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results