shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I posted some pics of the steely blue pear I''m interested in in another thread. It''s an untreated montana sapphire, nice cut and color, 1.9 cts. Any idea about what a fair ballpark price would be?

arraypear.jpg

steelyblue.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks so much like a spinel to me. Are you sure you rather go this route than get a spinel, which might be more cost effective.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 9:44:15 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

It looks so much like a spinel to me. Are you sure you rather go this route than get a spinel, which might be more cost effective.

Hmm..well, I''m being offered this sapphire at 625$, what would a 2ct blue spinel of this color cost? 300?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 10:08:37 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Hmm..well, I''m being offered this sapphire at 625$, what would a 2ct blue spinel of this color cost? 300?
MTG- I think $600 sounds reasonable. Though I do think it is true that you could get a similar spinel for less money.

Are you choosing your graduation stone already??
31.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 10:10:36 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 3/29/2009 10:08:37 PM

Author: MakingTheGrade

MTG- I think $600 sounds reasonable. Though I do think it is true that you could get a similar spinel for less money.

Are you choosing your graduation stone already??
31.gif

Haha, I know, it''s WAY early. But I''d kick myself for passing up a good deal on a color I like. I don''t know if this would even end up being "the one" since I have my reservations about the cut, but I''d have to see it in person.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Wow! $625 is $300 down from the published price, I think I''m going to get you to haggle for me!

I won''t comment on the quality of the stone or the price because I don''t know enough, but one thing I will mention and perhaps others wil chinme in is that the bright light coloured tweezers in his photos are often indicative of a darker stone than is showing in the photograph.

I believe this guy cuts his own stones. Did you ask him if he cut the stone himself?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 10:48:30 PM
Author: Gailey
Wow! $625 is $300 down from the published price, I think I'm going to get you to haggle for me!

Haha, I grew up in china, where you have to haggle for everything from your clothes to your vegetables. I guess it's just a bad habit now, lol.
I did ask if he could comment on the color accuracy (I've bought things from them before, the color was usually spot on although on occasion they were a bit darker in real life)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
MTG,

I don''t think I''ve ever heard a bad review about this guy and I get the impression is is respected amongst his peers, which is always a good sign. I wouldn''t suspect the colour being off from his photos. Just as you say, I suspect his stones maybe darker IRL.

I recognised his photos immediately btw. He often has very nice imperial topaz, so I lurk there often!

If you do get the stone, perhaps you would put his photos up against your own in the Vendors Photos thread that is stickied at the begining of Coloured Stones.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I do get it, I certainly will!

I'm still debating the spinel v sapphire thing since I do eventually want a spinel, and they apparently come in this color. Although I've heard that spinel often have a tendency to color shift, and I'd rather avoid that.

Still, it would be the more economical (and perhaps right) call. But it's hard for me to pass on a seemingly good deal ;-) Especially when it's such a purty color! And I also don't have any nice sapphires either...tough choice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$625 is very reasonable for a sapphire of that colour and size. While spinels will be cheaper and have a tendency to colour shift, some sapphires also colour shift as well. This one doesn''t look overly dark looking at the picture where it''s placed on his fingers. The tweezers sure look bright though.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking at the hand shot, the colour looks great! The tweezers had me worried, but I''m glad he included the hand pic.

The price, I''m not an expert, but that seems to be around what I would expect to pay, if not a little less.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results