shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with possible cloudy diamond

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
I am buying an engagement ring and am completely new to diamonds. I started doing research and found a local place with pretty good prices. I went in, looked at a few diamonds and put a deposit down on a .9 H SI2 Excellent cut polish and symmetry, no fluorescence at $3,995. I didn’t notice until later that the reason for the clarity grade is listed as: crystal, cloud. There is no diagram. I also found out that clouds can be a red flag for SI2. When I looked at the diamonds, I didn’t know as much as I do now. I was focused more on the color and clarity, and not the overall light performance. I’m worried I may have selected a cloudy diamond, so I’m going back in a couple of days to have another look at it. I’m going to compare it to another diamond without clouds, this time focusing on sparkle, fire and brilliance. I was wondering if I can get some advice on what to look for when comparing the diamonds. I looked at examples online and I think I have a good idea but it’s much harder in person when looking at something so small with the naked eye. Thanks!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Personally, I would be very cautious about clouds in any SI-graded diamond and would only proceed if I fully trusted the vendor assessing it and/or had an independent appraiser advise if the clouds (and any other clarity characteristics) negatively impact the diamond’s performance in some way. Also, a good return period is critical here! When you go back to look at it, you need to really look at it in multiple light settings - indoors, outdoors, UV lighting, etc. - compared to a diamond with no clouds and no fluorescence.

Please ensure you clearly understand & get - in writing - the store’s return policy in the event you need to have an independent appraiser assess it; and use a credit card for added protection if needed.

Here is a thread re: another buyer with a ‘cloudy’ diamond, some pics, and good examples of why you want to ensure you KNOW the diamond is good before the return period expires: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-on-cloudy-diamond.247198/

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am buying an engagement ring and am completely new to diamonds. I started doing research and found a local place with pretty good prices. I went in, looked at a few diamonds and put a deposit down on a .9 H SI2 Excellent cut polish and symmetry, no fluorescence at $3,995. I didn’t notice until later that the reason for the clarity grade is listed as: crystal, cloud. There is no diagram. I also found out that clouds can be a red flag for SI2. When I looked at the diamonds, I didn’t know as much as I do now. I was focused more on the color and clarity, and not the overall light performance. I’m worried I may have selected a cloudy diamond, so I’m going back in a couple of days to have another look at it. I’m going to compare it to another diamond without clouds, this time focusing on sparkle, fire and brilliance. I was wondering if I can get some advice on what to look for when comparing the diamonds. I looked at examples online and I think I have a good idea but it’s much harder in person when looking at something so small with the naked eye. Thanks!

The good news is that if crystal is listed first on the report (under keys to symbols), the crystal is the grade setting inclusion. Look also to the comments section and see if there is any mention of additional clouds, graining or twinning wisps which can potentially result in transparency deficits.

Your thought process is good regarding your next visit to vet for this characteristic in particular. I would recommend comparing your Si2 against a stone of similar size, color and cut grade in a VS1 or above clarity. You should be able to tell if the Si2 is hazy. Look at the stone very close to a table lamp with the light directed into the side of the diamond. This will tend to illuminate the inclusions and any cloudiness should become apparent.

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. The jewelry store has been around for a long time and always had a very strong reputation, and the person I met with wasn’t pushy and seemed like she genuinely wanted to help me find a quality diamond. For example, I told her I wanted eye clean, and she pointed out the flaws of a particular diamond and told me she wouldn’t recommend it. Seems honest to me, but when spending that much money you can never be too sure. I’ll make sure to look at it in different lighting, next to a similar diamond with higher clarity and no fluorescence. I’m going on Thursday and I will report back.

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. The jewelry store has been around for a long time and always had a very strong reputation, and the person I met with wasn’t pushy and seemed like she genuinely wanted to help me find a quality diamond. For example, I told her I wanted eye clean, and she pointed out the flaws of a particular diamond and told me she wouldn’t recommend it. Seems honest to me, but when spending that much money you can never be too sure. I’ll make sure to look at it in different lighting, next to a similar diamond with higher clarity and no fluorescence. I’m going on Thursday and I will report back.

Also, what certificate comes with the stone, and can you take a photo of it? It's important to make sure it's well cut and certified.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure thing! 9F697815-3322-497C-82B7-9FBA32DBBA52.jpeg

Well, whether by chance or through you knowing what you are looking for after researching on here and elsewhere, you have got a diamond with angles that work together and should give a nice show of coloured 'fire' :)

It scores a 1.8 (FIC) on the HCA tool, so congrats on a good choice!

Different cuts will perform differently (more or less white light vs more or less coloured fire) so if the store is able to pull a stone with similar angles etc., that would be the best comparator.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results