shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with pearl storage problem

Barkingatstrangers

Rough_Rock
I have a string of natural pearls (as in not cultivated) left to us by my late mother in law. We are supposed to share them with another family member, and because of that, and the high cost of replacement according to appraisal, they need to live in the bank safe.
How can I make sure they don't deteriorate over time inside the safe? They've been in there at least three years and I'm growing concerned over their condition.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have a string of natural pearls (as in not cultivated) left to us by my late mother in law. We are supposed to share them with another family member, and because of that, and the high cost of replacement according to appraisal, they need to live in the bank safe.
How can I make sure they don't deteriorate over time inside the safe? They've been in there at least three years and I'm growing concerned over their condition.

It is so sad that they are sitting unworn in a bank vault. Is it likely they will never be worn? In which case it might be the better course to sell them and split the proceeds (this is the former lawyer in me speaking), perhaps buying a really good cultured pearl necklace each? Which you can wear.
Without knowing the exact conditions in the bank in terms of temperature and humidity (are they controlled and constant or variable?) it's not really possible to say how they will fare in the long term. Who can forget HM Queen poking the irreplaceable pearls in St Edward's Crown (and that is kept in super-controlled conditions in the Tower of London)
So...basically, shame they are locked away and being locked away will not do them good. Might not do harm, but will not do good. (The silk might deteriorate though, so if you do keep them and eventually wear them, be careful.)

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to mention that bank deposit boxes don’t provide all the protections I had assumed— see this article in the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/safe-deposit-box-theft.html?referringSource=articleShare

Barkingatstrangers

Rough_Rock
Oh, I agree completely that it is sad they aren't being worn. She seldom if ever wore any of her family pieces during her lifetime; said it made her too sad to think of the family members she'd lost. But she did want to see them be worn once again, which is why I'm starting to tackle some of the pieces now.
The pearls worry me because I have read that pearls "die" when they're not being worn.
I think though there may be some resistance to selling them, since the co-owner is very invested in the family history and what she terms the "importance" of various inherited pieces.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I agree completely that it is sad they aren't being worn. She seldom if ever wore any of her family pieces during her lifetime; said it made her too sad to think of the family members she'd lost. But she did want to see them be worn once again, which is why I'm starting to tackle some of the pieces now.
The pearls worry me because I have read that pearls "die" when they're not being worn.
I think though there may be some resistance to selling them, since the co-owner is very invested in the family history and what she terms the "importance" of various inherited pieces.
Can you explain to the co-owner that pearls deteriorate when left in a safety deposit box, then offer them the choice of either selling them and splitting the proceeds, or buying you out?

ETA: IF it applies or you don't already know, it might help to learn your legal rights here. If the co-owner is trying to unilaterally decide that the jewelry is to be kept for future generations, that doesn't seem fair to me, if it's not what you want to do too.

Last edited:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know anything about pearls, but is their value tied to the fact that they are a full, original strand, or is their value retained as individual pearls (if you understand my gist?) If it is the later, what about splitting the strand into two and restringing with alternating gold beads. Or as a Pearl version of a DBTY style?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know anything about pearls, but is their value tied to the fact that they are a full, original strand, or is their value retained as individual pearls (if you understand my gist?) If it is the later, what about splitting the strand into two and restringing with alternating gold beads. Or as a Pearl version of a DBTY style?

For unbranded pieces - the pearls usually hold the majority of the value. However, a well-matched set or strand or pair does carry a matching premium, so ideally you’d be able to repurpose your pearls but retain ownership of the full lot - so that you could restring/reset at some later date. The match premium will increase as the pearls in question become more rare (size is one aspect of rarity but not the only!).

Branded pieces - the entirety of the brand value is in the piece as a whole. As soon as it’s touched in any way by any entity outside the brand or a brand authorized service facility, authenticity and name value are eliminated.

I would definitely not split a strand or mated pair of natural pearls if at all possible!!

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Ah, I just noticed you said "mother-in-law." Just my opinion but I'd also consider having the blood relative deal with the co-owner, even if you do the background work. If it's like the people I've known, it just works better that way lol. Good luck and please keep us posted. :)

Barkingatstrangers

Rough_Rock
I appreciate so much everyone sharing their advice on this. As you have all so astutely pointed out, it is much much better to have the blood relation deal with it while I do the background work. And yes, I'll definitely contact an attorney about this. Ironically - the whole dang family is full of attorneys but as you can imagine they're not a whole heck of a lot of help in this somewhat emotionally-fraught situation for them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I appreciate so much everyone sharing their advice on this. As you have all so astutely pointed out, it is much much better to have the blood relation deal with it while I do the background work. And yes, I'll definitely contact an attorney about this. Ironically - the whole dang family is full of attorneys but as you can imagine they're not a whole heck of a lot of help in this somewhat emotionally-fraught situation for them.

Best of luck with this
And good luck to the pearls

Barkingatstrangers

Rough_Rock
For unbranded pieces - the pearls usually hold the majority of the value. However, a well-matched set or strand or pair does carry a matching premium, so ideally you’d be able to repurpose your pearls but retain ownership of the full lot - so that you could restring/reset at some later date. The match premium will increase as the pearls in question become more rare (size is one aspect of rarity but not the only!).

Branded pieces - the entirety of the brand value is in the piece as a whole. As soon as it’s touched in any way by any entity outside the brand or a brand authorized service facility, authenticity and name value are eliminated.

I would definitely not split a strand or mated pair of natural pearls if at all possible!!

Ooof, exactly what I was thinking. Especially given that this is a graduated strand. It would be a serious mistake to split them apart as far as I can tell.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results