shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Oval LGD Selection

PiperD

Rough_Rock
Hi! For my replacement e-ring/wedding ring I'm looking for an oval LGD, anywhere between 2.5 and 3 carats, in the D/E color, VS1 or better, with a budget of $7,000.

I have been busy reading posts here and getting educated on LGDs for the past month. I've made research notes and practiced studying the diamond videos that experts here have posted as being great, but I still feel pretty out of my depth when trying to look at the diamond videos and pick a good diamond, so I'm hoping for your help. I've narrowed down by the ones that meet ideal table/depth/ratio standards (according to my research here on PriceScope) and then picked a few that I think look good. Please let me know if I'm on the right track or if you see better choices available. Thank you!

PiperD

Rough_Rock
Sorry, just went back and realized the video quality of those pasted links is terrible. Hopefully this is better:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I like the 2.60 D VS1 with the smaller table and higher crown and the price. The 2.65 is rather gray under the table which will show more leakage.

Which lab grown type are you looking for Type II or IIa....HPHT or CVD or does it matter to you?

Is there any reason why you are not considering an F color which is also colorless? With the naked eye DE &F you won't tell any difference in color.

Here is the 2.60 D VS1 from another angle and the star facets are going the length of the table which is desirable. Also looks like there is not a definite bow tie on this oval. Ritani will price match and they have 12 month financing interest free if that interests you. I just ordered my 3.45c MRB from them. Nothing against Adiamor.

I always check B2CJewels for the best price; If you want largest in your budget you might want to more info. on this one: 3.20c. F VS1
Small 55.5% table. 15.5% crown.
I couldn't find a video.
$6,600 on B2C

Also check out Distinctive Gem on what to look for in an oval. Small tables, with high crowns 18%! and deep, but expensive.

Good luck on your search!

3.0c F VS2 Table 54%; crown 18.5%; depth 64. Nice numbers but $8k

Last edited:

PiperD

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the information and opinion! I don't know anything about the star facets, so now I'm going to research what that means. :). What benefits does a smaller table give?

Every B2C diamond that came up in my search didn't have video, which is why I moved on past those, but considering what you said I'll see if they can send me video on the ones that look potentially interesting.

I would love to get one of those Distinctive Gem ideal cut ovals, but I would have to sacrifice too much size for it to be within my budget, unfortunately.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of Distinctive Gem, call/email Jon (Rhino) and ask about this one...he should be able to tell you about any potential stria, bowtie, etc since it's a CVD LGD.
And ask what kind of a return policy and upgrade policy may or may not apply.

Here's the link to the video of it:

Link to the grading report:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

PiperD

Rough_Rock
Speaking of Distinctive Gem, call/email Jon (Rhino) and ask about this one...he should be able to tell you about any potential stria, bowtie, etc since it's a CVD LGD.
And ask what kind of a return policy and upgrade policy may or may not apply.

Here's the link to the video of it:

Link to the grading report:

Thank you! Calling him now. And I'm not opposed to eye clean SI1 so I'll call B2C as well.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Would you be open to eye-clean VS2-SI1 ovals?
If so, then see if B2C can get you a high-res/high quality video of this one:

[edit]
Adding one more potentially eye-clean SI1 that would need a video request:

Ovals hide inclusion very well so a nicely cut SI1 might be a deal.

Remember CUT IS KING....not color or clarity. A well cut I/J color will look brighter than a poorly cut D/E. Ppl don't understand how important cut is to the beauty of a diamond. After watching Jon's videos for years you just know this. Although in a fancy cut, pear or oval color will make a difference...so he recommends no lower than a G color. In a recent video he made on a lab diamond he stated that an opthamologist told him to the naked eye one would not be able to see the difference in a G or D/E color. Lab diamonds may show a tad of color at G but not necessarily.
Star facets are the large star shaped facets you see under the table. They are shown in the certification; which shows you the pattern of the cut of that particular stone.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ovals hide inclusion very well so a nicely cut SI1 might be a deal.

Remember CUT IS KING....not color or clarity. A well cut I/J color will look brighter than a poorly cut D/E. Ppl don't understand how important cut is to the beauty of a diamond. After watching Jon's videos for years you just know this. Although in a fancy cut, pear or oval color will make a difference...so he recommends no lower than a G color. In a recent video he made on a lab diamond he stated that an opthamologist told him to the naked eye one would not be able to see the difference in a G or D/E color. Lab diamonds may show a tad of color at G but not necessarily.
Star facets are the large star shaped facets you see under the table. They are shown in the certification; which shows you the pattern of the cut of that particular stone.

I agree that a G, maybe even an H, would be tops if shopping for a colorless oval that is extremely well cut.

The star facets are the small triangular facets adjacent to the table facet:

oval-diamond-facets.jpg

PiperD

Rough_Rock
I agree that a G, maybe even an H, would be tops if shopping for a colorless oval that is extremely well cut.

The star facets are the small triangular facets adjacent to the table facet:

oval-diamond-facets.jpg

The more you explain to me the more I realize I don’t know. . After talking with Jon/Rhino about the diamond you brought to my attention yesterday I decided to go through him and use his concierge services so I’ll feel confident I’ll end up with a great diamond. There’s no way I can learn in a month what experts have learned over many years, so best to leave it to an expert. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
After talking with Jon/Rhino about the diamond you brought to my attention yesterday I decided to go through him and use his concierge services so I’ll feel confident I’ll end up with a great diamond. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

You're very welcome and I feel that's a fantastic decision - Jon will take exceptional care of you to find you the best oval in his supply channels!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
The more you explain to me the more I realize I don’t know. . After talking with Jon/Rhino about the diamond you brought to my attention yesterday I decided to go through him and use his concierge services so I’ll feel confident I’ll end up with a great diamond. There’s no way I can learn in a month what experts have learned over many years, so best to leave it to an expert. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Good decision. A well performing oval is hard to find. Can't wait to see what you end up with!

PiperD

Rough_Rock
You're very welcome and I feel that's a fantastic decision - Jon will take exceptional care of you to find you the best oval in his supply channels!

You picked a good one for me! Jonathan/Rhino put the 2.73 E/VS1 through his tests and gave it a seal of approval. Here’s the ASET.

614FCBD0-8FC6-4141-8F66-6F1DFB81E408.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
You picked a good one for me! Jonathan/Rhino put the 2.73 E/VS1 through his tests and gave it a seal of approval. Here’s the ASET.

614FCBD0-8FC6-4141-8F66-6F1DFB81E408.png

Outstanding!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
OH MY! That is a great oval! Rare indeed! Great choice! How will you set it?

(I've always wondered why some videos and pictures of stones show up so gray like your 2.73c E. Also those stones also seem to be so well cut IMO. I just don't understand why the pictures make them look like they have a gray tint. Did you ask Jon about that?)

Last edited:

PiperD

Rough_Rock
OH MY! That is a great oval! Rare indeed! Great choice! How will you set it?

(I've always wondered why some videos and pictures of stones show up so gray like your 2.73c E. Also those stones also seem to be so well cut IMO. I just don't understand why the pictures make them look like they have a gray tint. Did you ask Jon about that?)

I wondered about that as well. For instance, when I was going through all the inventory online I immediately scrolled past those that looked gray because the images weren’t as appealing as the ones that look brighter and whiter. But DejaWiz didn’t scroll past and saw the potential in it. Maybe it is just a matter of some labs having different photo equipment? I didn’t ask but it’s an excellent question.

I wanted a classic halo and pave band (similar to Harry Winston The One), but now trying to decide if I should just do a simple solitaire for now and maybe add halo later. Do you think it will look too big on my finger if I add the halo? Btw this isn’t a real band, just the claw thingy holding the diamond in place for shipping to me but I’m using it to visualize.

43815DA4-36A1-4420-8122-344FD1F784A5.jpeg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Love oval and pear shapes but just purchased a 3.45c MRB 9.7mm LGD to be set in a graduated halo by JA which will give it the shape of an elongated cushion. My finger is a size 4.5. (I'm on a budget so their platinum graduated halo was "reasonable" when on sale at 25% off.) Wish I could afford a custom setting.

The setting I chose looks really amazing on an oval cut so I was so tempted to buy an oval. but found this super ideal cut MRB at an amazing price so I splurged on my stone.

LOL, so NO! Most PS'r will tell you that it will NOT be too big!...not too big to halo your 8mm x 11mm oval! Get what your heart desires.

Kim N haloed her large 4+c MRB. If you love halos then do it or use a sub-halo. You can always change to a simpler setting later. I say go for it. You have such pretty hands!

PetRock >3 wanted a halo but Caysie talked her out of it. Read her thread. Now she tried to add a halo clip and it didn't look right. So I think maybe she regrets not getting the halo she originally wanted for her 3.7c MRB. Her CVB setting is just amazing though. Everything Caysie makes is awesome!

I had never heard of a "halo clip". So interesting! Learn something new every time I come to Pricescope.

Search for the threads on people who got halos after having a solitaire setting. It might help you to make up your mind. Also several "Show Me the Bling" halo threads.

Not everyone loves halos but each to his own personal tastes. Hope this helps your decision process.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Also James Allen has a cool "try on" feature where you can take a picture of your hand and post different settings right on your finger to help you decide what looks best to your eye. Anyone can use it and it is a fun thing to do before you go to a jewelry store and try on different settings in person. The jewelry store I went to did not have a graduated halo setting so I couldn't see that in person. It is so different. PetRock>3 posted one on her thread made by Caysie.

The prices on platinum are through the roof now!

I just swoon over this setting set with an oval shape when I see those pictures in the reviews on JA. It's an Art Deco style. In the past I've seen graduated halos on antique cut diamonds and I was always drawn to them.

So many decisions...lucky you finding that great oval thanks to DejaWiz's keen eye! Finding those rare cut ovals is like finding a needle in a haystack...no kidding! But when you see one...you know it by the faceting.

PiperD

Rough_Rock
Ooh I love that JA setting. Definitely has a bit of an antique feel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results