shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with OEC ring please!

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
I am looking to buy myself a OEC right hand ring with a center of around 1 carat or bigger. I found this ring online and was wondering if I could get feedback on it. The center stone is a little under 1 carat, around an I color, and SI3 clarity. I do not think the stone is certified.

762B04BE-3CB8-4793-B0CA-00EA05D73D82.jpeg

I don’t know what I should be looking for in terms of whether a cut is good or not. Also, if I have the option, what proportions should I be looking for in OEC re table and depth? Same as a round brilliant? Thank you for educating me!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring!
And congratulations for buying a ring for yourself. Highly underrated imo!
Is that ivy and rose? Assuming so:
They are nice and easy to deal with. Return program is easy and respectable.
You won't be able to tell if the inclusions are a deal breaker for you unless you see it in hand. The listing pictures of what I bought from them (and returned) were extremely flattering clarity wise to say the least.
Having no report on this ring from them wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. But I would send it to one of the approved appraisers that can be found here on PS, or if I had a local place that I could trust with an unbiased opinion. Reason being the SI3 grade given inhouse by the vendor. The appraisal done not for dollar value - but for the peace of mind in the structural integrity of both the setting and the center stone. Getting that info from someone with no vested interest in the sale to you is huge.
As for proportions guides for old cuts it's really different than modern cuts. Some find over time they gravitate towards some combos - but lovely looking old cut stones can be found with widely varying ones. Sometimes it's really apparent what's going on facet wise/light return wise with photos, sometimes not. The cost you spend in bringing in stones for you to see, or traveling to go view somewhere, to find what appeals to your eye in these old stones, is a small price to pay in the long run.
I think the faceting pattern in this one shows some promise, to my eyes - and I love the single cuts on the sides!
Sorry for the ramble - I just completed the search for one myself. It's fresh in my brain!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you are paying full retail pricing, you should expect a lab report.

Before you buy, spend a lot of time reading about OECs here on PS. It's far too much information to convey in one post. And we have already written it all before lol

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s your budget for this ?

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
Pretty ring!
And congratulations for buying a ring for yourself. Highly underrated imo!
Is that ivy and rose? Assuming so:
They are nice and easy to deal with. Return program is easy and respectable.
You won't be able to tell if the inclusions are a deal breaker for you unless you see it in hand. The listing pictures of what I bought from them (and returned) were extremely flattering clarity wise to say the least.
Having no report on this ring from them wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. But I would send it to one of the approved appraisers that can be found here on PS, or if I had a local place that I could trust with an unbiased opinion. Reason being the SI3 grade given inhouse by the vendor. The appraisal done not for dollar value - but for the peace of mind in the structural integrity of both the setting and the center stone. Getting that info from someone with no vested interest in the sale to you is huge.
As for proportions guides for old cuts it's really different than modern cuts. Some find over time they gravitate towards some combos - but lovely looking old cut stones can be found with widely varying ones. Sometimes it's really apparent what's going on facet wise/light return wise with photos, sometimes not. The cost you spend in bringing in stones for you to see, or traveling to go view somewhere, to find what appeals to your eye in these old stones, is a small price to pay in the long run.
I think the faceting pattern in this one shows some promise, to my eyes - and I love the single cuts on the sides!
Sorry for the ramble - I just completed the search for one myself. It's fresh in my brain!

Haha, my SO does not believe in diamond AT ALL so I do not dare to push the envelope after getting my engagement ring. Plus, it’s nice to do something for myself!

Yes! This is ivy and rose. It seems like their rings are so much more affordable than other OEC rings I have seen. Plenty of rings under 4k. I am having a hard time gauging what is even worth it. On LAD, they have one I like that is 1.22 for almost 6k and then at Lang’s, the cheapest 1 ct ring is over 6k.

Do you mind sharing photos/status of your OEC? I am always looking for inspiration!

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
I think if you are paying full retail pricing, you should expect a lab report.

Before you buy, spend a lot of time reading about OECs here on PS. It's far too much information to convey in one post. And we have already written it all before lol

Thank you for the information! I will start reading this!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Do it! Tell your husband you kept the diamond under $4k, and got a steal on the setting! That ring is beautiful

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do know I&R will negotiate pricing (as most retail places do especially if they ever run sales), on some things at least. So if you go that way - it's worth a try.
This ring compared to the CVB offered at LAD is so different in ballpark of budget, they can't be compared. It's a lower color - but to my eye it's absolutely beautiful and I doubt you'd need to worry about the integrity of the setting at all - compared to possibly having to do so on the I&R one. But once again - these two rings cannot be compared to each other, really!

That you did so - tells me you really want more. More quality and more ring. So I wouldn't feel comfortable in recommending you bringing the I&R one in to see for your own eyes, unless you stuck with your 2k budget and wanted a near carat center that's not low on the color range

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Haha, my SO does not believe in diamond AT ALL so I do not dare to push the envelope after getting my engagement ring. Plus, it’s nice to do something for myself!

Yes! This is ivy and rose. It seems like their rings are so much more affordable than other OEC rings I have seen. Plenty of rings under 4k. I am having a hard time gauging what is even worth it. On LAD, they have one I like that is 1.22 for almost 6k and then at Lang’s, the cheapest 1 ct ring is over 6k.

Do you mind sharing photos/status of your OEC? I am always looking for inspiration!

That ring at LAD is beautiful! If the center was larger I would have bought it when it was marked down...

Do you want a halo? Solitaire?

If the setting is one Ivy and Rose makes that is not vintage I will say I don’t like their settings. I find them light weight and I prefer a nicer setting. If it is an actual vintage piece though I don’t necessarily have that worry from them.

Can you post some other ideas you like?

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
I do know I&R will negotiate pricing (as most retail places do especially if they ever run sales), on some things at least. So if you go that way - it's worth a try.
This ring compared to the CVB offered at LAD is so different in ballpark of budget, they can't be compared. It's a lower color - but to my eye it's absolutely beautiful and I doubt you'd need to worry about the integrity of the setting at all - compared to possibly having to do so on the I&R one. But once again - these two rings cannot be compared to each other, really!

That you did so - tells me you really want more. More quality and more ring. So I wouldn't feel comfortable in recommending you bringing the I&R one in to see for your own eyes, unless you stuck with your 2k budget and wanted a near carat center that's not low on the color range

Haha you totally have captured my ordeal. Part of me wants a beautiful high quality OEC ring but then I feel like I should not upstage my engagement ring (which is currently being made — I have totally been bitten by the diamond bug.) The guilty part of me feels like if I was planning to put down 6k, I should put it down towards a bigger diamond on my engagement ring rather than another ring. The ivy and rose one looks like it may be more like a right hand ring than the LAD one. Also, the price doesn’t make me feel guilty since it is much less than my engagement ring. However the LAD one looks glorious to me!

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
I think this looks promising. Tiny table. I think it’s dark because the camera is in her face, but I would ask for more photos. And probably offer half lol
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263987033322

Thank you! I saw this one when I was browsing eBay but was scared off by the pictures. I emailed to ask for more pictures. Let me know if you see anything else, I think you have a great eye of OEC (from my creepy stalking of this forum!)

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
That ring at LAD is beautiful! If the center was larger I would have bought it when it was marked down...

Do you want a halo? Solitaire?

If the setting is one Ivy and Rose makes that is not vintage I will say I don’t like their settings. I find them light weight and I prefer a nicer setting. If it is an actual vintage piece though I don’t necessarily have that worry from them.

Can you post some other ideas you like?

I think the LAD is absolutely beautiful too but I agree about the size. If the stone was bigger then I would pick it up in a heartbeat. It’s hard for me to think about a 1.22 costing almost 6k and a 1 ct with a higher color rating costing under 2.5k. It makes me think that so much of the cost is actually because of the setting.

I am naturally drawn to halos and solitaires but since this is supposed to be a right hand ring, I wonder if I should be looking at side stones more. I want the center stone to be big enough to have those beautiful flowery chunky facets. The only setting I am not a big fan of are bezels.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I think the LAD is absolutely beautiful too but I agree about the size. If the stone was bigger then I would pick it up in a heartbeat. It’s hard for me to think about a 1.22 costing almost 6k and a 1 ct with a higher color rating costing under 2.5k. It makes me think that so much of the cost is actually because of the setting.

I am naturally drawn to halos and solitaires but since this is supposed to be a right hand ring, I wonder if I should be looking at side stones more. I want the center stone to be big enough to have those beautiful flowery chunky facets. The only setting I am not a big fan of are bezels.
The major cost frankly is the setting, and a cherry picked stone. The stone is beautiful, even with a low color, it’s well cut and has good spread for the carat size. The setting is stunning- it looks like it was made for the diamond. I do think there is a premium with the LAD ring, but also a very good return policy, and almost no risk in the purchase.
What does your engagement ring look like? You mention not wanting to upstage it so I’d love to see it =)2

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
The major cost frankly is the setting, and a cherry picked stone. The stone is beautiful, even with a low color, it’s well cut and has good spread for the carat size. The setting is stunning- it looks like it was made for the diamond. I do think there is a premium with the LAD ring, but also a very good return policy, and almost no risk in the purchase.
What does your engagement ring look like? You mention not wanting to upstage it so I’d love to see it =)2

Its a very simple and classic solitaire! LOL! Its 1.22 ct approximately 6.9mm spread. This is my CAD with my wedding ring behind it (they were showing me that the two rings would sit flush.)

373F68AD-DB0F-46E7-8745-306B3689C804.jpeg CE37A395-4DC4-4778-95A2-0360849C1D1B.jpeg
I wanted to get something classic for my engagement ring since I will (hopefully!) be wearing it forever. However, I am definitely drawn to the fun bling look of the LAD halo!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Its a very simple and classic solitaire! LOL! Its 1.22 ct approximately 6.9mm spread. This is my CAD with my wedding ring behind it (they were showing me that the two rings would sit flush.)

373F68AD-DB0F-46E7-8745-306B3689C804.jpeg CE37A395-4DC4-4778-95A2-0360849C1D1B.jpeg
I wanted to get something classic for my engagement ring since I will (hopefully!) be wearing it forever. However, I am definitely drawn to the fun bling look of the LAD halo!
What a classic set! Beautiful!
Have you considered a color stone for your right hand ring? Nothing wrong with having a diamond right hand ring, but the styles in this thread are very “engagement ring”.
Super bonus, you can often get a bigger colored stone, like a sapphire, without having to push your budget to the max ☺️

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
What a classic set! Beautiful!
Have you considered a color stone for your right hand ring? Nothing wrong with having a diamond right hand ring, but the styles in this thread are very “engagement ring”.
Super bonus, you can often get a bigger colored stone, like a sapphire, without having to push your budget to the max ☺️

Thank you! I am excited about the ring too! I have thought about color stones but what really started this journey was me falling in love with the OEC cut. That’s why I am really looking for a OEC diamond. Maybe I can get something with colored side stones so it will look less engagement ring-y? Maybe a three stone ring?

I like the idea of this ring (especially as a right hand ring!) but the setting is not really my style (even though it is beautiful.) I would prefer prongs!

https://www.diamondbistro.com/categ.../listings/59638/261-ct-3-Stone-OEC-by-DK.html

All of the other three stone rings (with a 1 ct center) have been out of my price ranges :(

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
Yeah! I was going to suggest to look at diamond bistro and loupe troop as well! Or maybe put an add up for WTB on the preloved forum.

I have actually been keeping my eyes out everyday! I have been thinking about maybe getting this stone but I worry about the color/clarity. I was thinking of doing a three stone ring but have not been able to find similar color side stones. Was also thinking about having this set in a simple yellow gold or rose gold solitaire setting as a engagement ring substitute (so the engagement ring can rest :) ) depending on what the color of the stone looks like.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...se-oec-for-sale-price-slashed-from-$2100-1600

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have actually been keeping my eyes out everyday! I have been thinking about maybe getting this stone but I worry about the color/clarity. I was thinking of doing a three stone ring but have not been able to find similar color side stones. Was also thinking about having this set in a simple yellow gold or rose gold solitaire setting as a engagement ring substitute (so the engagement ring can rest :) ) depending on what the color of the stone looks like.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...se-oec-for-sale-price-slashed-from-$2100-1600

The 2.61 ctw 3 stone actually used to be mine!!!! It works very well as a rhr, and the diamonds are gorgeous and creamy white, but I totally understand bezels are not for everyone. I actually considered the N I1 when I was looking for a diamond. You could definitely ask her if it is eye clean. TBH, It’s pretty hard to find side stones of similar color and cut. I got lucky and PSer Niel found them when I had the DK make the 3 stone.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I am excited about the ring too! I have thought about color stones but what really started this journey was me falling in love with the OEC cut. That’s why I am really looking for a OEC diamond. Maybe I can get something with colored side stones so it will look less engagement ring-y? Maybe a three stone ring?

I like the idea of this ring (especially as a right hand ring!) but the setting is not really my style (even though it is beautiful.) I would prefer prongs!

https://www.diamondbistro.com/categ.../listings/59638/261-ct-3-Stone-OEC-by-DK.html

All of the other three stone rings (with a 1 ct center) have been out of my price ranges :(

If you are open to three stone and plat - I almost pulled the trigger on this.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc0ykiyFVLo/
You_Doodle_2019-04-14T14_56_25Z.jpg
Not a carat center - but a great look for the price if you like the setting.

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
If you are open to three stone and plat - I almost pulled the trigger on this.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc0ykiyFVLo/
You_Doodle_2019-04-14T14_56_25Z.jpg
Not a carat center - but a great look for the price if you like the setting.

Thanks! I was leaning more towards this look for a three stone:

490C9D3C-E3E5-4B59-B0E0-25614C759F57.png

Or maybe something with colored sides and pears. I would think about getting that ring you suggested and resetting it but then I would feel bad to waste such an antique setting...

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
The 2.61 ctw 3 stone actually used to be mine!!!! It works very well as a rhr, and the diamonds are gorgeous and creamy white, but I totally understand bezels are not for everyone. I actually considered the N I1 when I was looking for a diamond. You could definitely ask her if it is eye clean. TBH, It’s pretty hard to find side stones of similar color and cut. I got lucky and PSer Niel found them when I had the DK make the 3 stone.

Hahaha I am basically going through all of the stages you already went through! I hope you found an OEC that you love (pics?)

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hahaha I am basically going through all of the stages you already went through! I hope you found an OEC that you love (pics?)

Ahhh yes! I just got her back from GIA. I have to take some good photos! It’s a 6.9mm 1.23 N VS1 that has gorgeous faceting. My friend is really tempting me with a fancy light yellow old cut marquise that we would put in a halo though. I’m having second thoughts. I’ll post pictures once I take them, probably tomorrow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results