carat
color
clarity

Help with my martini stud setting

kevinpak80

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I just purchased some diamond studs for my wife for mothers day. The store was packed when I went to pick up the earrings so I just grabbed them and left. Once I got home I carefully inspected the earrings. When you look at them they look great but I think the diamond is set crooked in one of the martin settings. I've attached a picture. I've never purchased a martini setting before so I'm not sure if this is normal or not but the stone seems secure.

Is this to be expected when getting martini settings or is this just poor workmanship? Should I take it back to the store to have it reset? Thank you for all your help.

20210507_225201[1].jpg

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I agree. Looks crooked to me, and not set correctly. The diamond is not in the notch of the prong. I’d be afraid it will come loose. Definitely would be taking back of those were mine. Good luck!

kevinpak80

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your help. I will be taking them back to have it reset.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully they get it fixed. Lovely and thoughtful gift for your wife!

kevinpak80

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you! I wanted to try a martini setting since my wife doesn't have them but should I ask to switch to the traditional 4 prong setting? The studs are 2.4 carats each and I'm worried these 3 prong settings aren't secure enough.

Q

Queenie60

Thank you! I wanted to try a martini setting since my wife doesn't have them but should I ask to switch to the traditional 4 prong setting? The studs are 2.4 carats each and I'm worried these 3 prong settings aren't secure enough.

I would suggest a 4 prong basket setting, they sit flat on the ear and with a large back, they won't droop. Wonderful gift for your lucky wife!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree that for stones that size you might want a 4, or 6 prong basket setting. Even 8 prongs would be good. And that stone is definitely not set correctly so one way or the other something needs to be done.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem that some people have with martini settings is that the very small base of the setting can dig into your piercing and
stretch the hole. For 2.4 size stones you want a setting with a bigger base that helps the stone set flat against the ear.

For examples you might look at these threads

kevinpak80

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for everyone's help! I really like the Whiteflas ACA 3.2 settings from the previous post. Can I just get those anywhere? What would I even be asking for?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for everyone's help! I really like the Whiteflas ACA 3.2 settings from the previous post. Can I just get those anywhere? What would I even be asking for?

Ask for a 4 prong basket style stud earring.

I wear stud earrings and my favorite appearance is the martini style that you chose, but they are the least comfortable to wear. The most comfortable to wear and the most secure settings are the basket style 4 or 6 prongs.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same issue with my new studs from Ritani. They look just like yours. I’ve decided to have them reset in a new settings rather than try to have them fix them. But you are correct that it shouldn’t look like that.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
The issue is that the notch they cut for the girdle wasn't at the proper height. So the stone doesn't sit properly in the notch. Over time, that prong would come lose and you'd only have two prongs on your diamond - high risk for losing a stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you! Unfortunately those were special order from Whiteflash. They sit a little lower than the standard 4 prong mounting. I would not do martinis due to them stretching the ear hole as well as fallind downward more easily. I'd absolutely do a 4 prong mounting. Ask for a low profile 4 prong mounting with a larger base. However, the jeweler you used must not have a good bench person to allow something that bad go out the door. I've had a couple of bad setting jobs, but this is really bad!

Did you buy the diamonds from this jeweler? Did you come here and learn about diamond cut before buying the studs? Just asking in case you have a return policy.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same issue with my new studs from Ritani. They look just like yours. I’ve decided to have them reset in a new settings rather than try to have them fix them. But you are correct that it shouldn’t look like that.

A5D2CF36-7ADC-425C-BBCF-5B6C4811FE06.jpeg
F8B42AE6-8A9D-4C49-87E6-A87BB77F993F.jpeg These are mine from Ritani. Terrible work. I’ve ordered settings from Ivy and Rose and will have them reset locally. I just don’t trust Ritani to fix them honestly.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
A5D2CF36-7ADC-425C-BBCF-5B6C4811FE06.jpeg
F8B42AE6-8A9D-4C49-87E6-A87BB77F993F.jpeg These are mine from Ritani. Terrible work. I’ve ordered settings from Ivy and Rose and will have them reset locally. I just don’t trust Ritani to fix them honestly.

Omg.... that’s ghastly !! So glad you’re getting them redone!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Omg.... that’s ghastly !! So glad you’re getting them redone!

Yeah. I’m quite annoyed. If i would have known they’d be this bad I would have just ordered the stones from them and had them set myself. I wasted the money on these settings now.

kevinpak80

Rough_Rock
Trade
Jax172 yours look almost identical to mine.. Which settings did you order from ivy and rose?

I have actually done a lot of business with my jeweler so I will go back and ask them to change the mount to a 4 prong basket with the lowest possible profile and look at everything before I take it home. Hopefully they won't try to charge me anything......

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Jax172 yours look almost identical to mine.. Which settings did you order from ivy and rose?

I have actually done a lot of business with my jeweler so I will go back and ask them to change the mount to a 4 prong basket with the lowest possible profile and look at everything before I take it home. Hopefully they won't try to charge me anything......

I ordered these:

I think the change in setting will be better than the martini’s for your diamonds. But yes definitely look them over before taking them home.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results