shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with identifying red stone on old Chinese ring

Koompz

Rough_Rock
15097865252441436009389.jpg 1509786574332110733530.jpg Hi everyone, I'm not very good with identifying gemstones. I have recently bought this lovely Chinese spray ring for my mum, it is 18k white gold, but have no idea what the gemstone is. Please kindly help me identify. Thanks so much. =)2

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would guess because of the lighter spot, that it’s a coral. Either dyed or natural. Some natural coral has lighter spots.. but it could also be a place where artificial pigment wore off .it looks like a pink red color on my screen. Is that accurate in life? Another question, does the lighterspot move across the stone following the light?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why don't you take a video of the stone? Is the stone transparent, translucent, or opaque? Can you show us the back of the stone? Is it a heavy ring? The colour is very nice.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you take a video of the stone? Is the stone transparent, translucent, or opaque? Can you show us the back of the stone? Is it a heavy ring? The colour is very nice.

Sorry but PS doesn't allow us to post links to home made videos.
Supposedly it puts the poster at risk of having their true identity revealed.
IMO, since this is a diamond and gem forum the concern about being tracked down and robbed is justified.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
15097865252441436009389.jpg 1509786574332110733530.jpg Hi everyone, I'm not very good with identifying gemstones. I have recently bought this lovely Chinese spray ring for my mum, it is 18k white gold, but have no idea what the gemstone is. Please kindly help me identify. Thanks so much. =)2

Honestly, it's too difficult to tell from photos. Someone said coral, but to me it looks translucent. Best to take it to a gemologist who is familiar with colored stones. That color in such a large stone is very rare, so it's highly likely to be a synthetic or highly treated, such as dyed. If it is real and natural color, it would really be something.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry but PS doesn't allow us to post links to home made videos.
Supposedly it puts the poster at risk of having their true identity revealed.
IMO, since this is a diamond and gem forum the concern about being tracked down and robbed is justified.

I posted several videos from my youtube on my threads. But no one remove them.

Koompz

Rough_Rock
I will try to create a moving picture and upload it today. Thanks everyone.

The stone is translucent, the light part of it moves around. And it is a pink and red colour in real life. The photo is a pretty accurate depiction of the colour. Let me make a moving picture and upload. Appreciate your insights!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a star ruby or at least a very silky ruby. That’s my 5 cents :loopy:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will try to create a moving picture and upload it today. Thanks everyone.

The stone is translucent, the light part of it moves around. And it is a pink and red colour in real life. The photo is a pretty accurate depiction of the colour. Let me make a moving picture and upload. Appreciate your insights!
I’m guessing a star ruby too since it’s translucent with star or light area that moves. If you get a picture of the star, it might help to see if it is a synthetic stone.

Last edited:

Koompz

Rough_Rock
The ring is 10 grams, has the marks K白金 in Chinese which I have found to be 18k solid white gold. Very high mount. Cheers, Kai

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m still inclined to think it’s a silky ruby. It is a substantial stone and that mount is high carat, heavy and solid gold. It would be worth the expense of having a GIA report done. At that size and pleasing colour, it could be a valuable gem.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It seems to me it is a cat’s eye rubellite or ruby. Is it included or clean? How does the bottom of the stone look like?

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
From the video, looks like it might possibly be a doublet? The top part of the cab looks completely transparent from the side view, but you get a chatoyant or translucent appearance when viewing from above.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very pretty and high carat gold. Perhaps a jeweler near you has a refracometer or spectrometer and could preliminarily identify it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted several videos from my youtube on my threads. But no one remove them.
So, you got away with breaking a rule you agreed to follow when you registered.

Admin is busy and can't catch everything.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
18K isn't used, usually, with subpar stones.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guesses would be synthetic or lab ruby, lab or treated red jadeite, red Carnelian or some type of agate. IMHO it's the wrong colour for coral and it doesn't have the look of a real ruby.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
18K isn't used, usually, with subpar stones.

You can find Chinese and Indian rings in high carat gold with carnelian, agate, dyed coral, all kinds of treated jadeite and a range of synthetics so I'm not sure that is always true.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Definitely a doublet. Maybe quartz for the dome. Not sure what's under it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever it is, it’s gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results