shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with GIA sapphire certificate

Crystal1128

Rough_Rock
image_3809.jpg

Does that mean only traditional heating?how could I confirm there is no other treatments? Should I send the sapphire to AGL to confirm?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but a copy which is more legible would be helpful. I cannot make out what it says about heat treatment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give GIA a call, but I think diffusion testing is included in their usual testing.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
Typical lab report, no grade a guess at color and only reference to any known treatments in their OPINION

But it says no heat so that's a decent gem usually but they won't say how clean it is

I've been looking high and low for a major lab doing clarity reports so far none

That's what is needed IMO

A real colored gemstone grading system

But it's got the main thing, NO HEAT so a potential good stone

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't even know how you all can see what it says on the report about heating! :o

drruby

Shiny_Rock
copy image and magnify

it's blurry but it's there

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
Here's what it says:
Treatment [Scan QR code for more information]
Heated.

Familiarity with GIA's lab report helps. ;))

drruby

Shiny_Rock
yep it does say HEATED

my bad

I stand corrected

but no indication of LGF or beryl infusion

which is now an issue with all corundum

heated is considered 'normal' to most that collect corundum

sorry

drruby

Shiny_Rock
like I said if it had LGF or BI gia would note it

it just says heated and that's high heat

the fact is every ruby has been hit with heat for centuries it's done low levels in every mine in the world and it's not detectable, so GIA should say HIGH HEAT detected, no gemologist worth their diploma ever says NO HEAT when it comes to rubies IMO

if you been to a ruby mine you know it gets hit with hit as soon as it comes out of ground so they can see what they got

low level heat cannot be detected

as to GIA, I view them as de beers shills, promoting common carbon as rare

it's diamonds I don't like, it's just common carbon IMO

I like

Rubies
Emeralds
Sapphires

GIA, well it's GIA and since they had that pay for grade scandal most with any real dough in gems don't use them

but for the masses they're the standard in carbon certs I guess

I hate carbon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last time I checked, rubies, sapphires and emeralds are made of chemical elements available on this earth, just like diamonds.

Each to their own what they like and dislike. Some like diamonds; some like CSs; some like pearls; and some, like myself, like them all as long as they suit my tastes, style and budget.

DK :))

drruby

Shiny_Rock
rubies and sapphires are both corundum or AL3O2 and yes AL is the most common metal in earth's crust

rubies have a touch of chromium and sapphires titanium and how either got created stupefies most gemologists since silica is way more common and if an area has more silica a common element then normal corundum is formed, it's a freak of nature that either ruby or sapphire is formed in such areas that are all located along plate boundaries and follow weakened crustal areas that are where plates move

Now carbon, you and me are carbon, it's way more COMMON

Rubies are not a controlled cartel product like diamonds are by De Beers

100 Carat flawless diamond went for only 22 million at sothebys the past year

8 carat flawed ruby the graff ruby got over 1 Million a carat

So in the GEM world Ruby is KING

Rubies are very rare and diamonds well they're very common

But you have control of most of the diamond mines by de beers so you see only a fraction of what they have

Walk into any mall in the USA you see how common carbon is

It's all you see

No larger rubies or sapphires is usually the norm, when you see some rubies it's LGF and low grade LGF in huge retailers

Carbon is a common gemstone, rubies are the rarest gemstone PERIOD

I like rare I hate common

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

DK :))

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi, Crystal. I am now using GIA because they are local to me and I asked this same question on my first visit. They do test for other treatments and put them on the report. So if your report says "heated" and nothing else, that means they did not find any other treatments besides heat. If they had found something else, it would have been noted on the report. And I think GIA is reputable enough that there is no need to get a second opinion.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
drruby|1441041326|3921673 said:

But you have control of most of the diamond mines by de beers so you see only a fraction of what they have...

True so far, but not if Gemfields has their way!

Article from Business Day Live:

Gemfields Aims to Dominate Ruby Market
by Allan Seccombe, 24 July 2015
"Gemfields is one of the world’s leading sources of emeralds from its mine in Zambia and it wants to add sapphires to its offering of gemstones in future, putting in place a buying office in Sri Lanka with the intention of becoming the "De Beers of coloured gems".
It will become the world’s single most important player in rubies once its 75%-owned Montepuez project is at full capacity, with Mr Harebottle describing it as the world’s single largest ruby and corundum deposit..."

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the threadjack!
Yes, exactly this:

1001smiles|1441044226|3921703 said:
Hi, Crystal. I am now using GIA because they are local to me and I asked this same question on my first visit. They do test for other treatments and put them on the report. So if your report says "heated" and nothing else, that means they did not find any other treatments besides heat. If they had found something else, it would have been noted on the report. And I think GIA is reputable enough that there is no need to get a second opinion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, GIA has made some major mistakes such has mistaking a synthetic alexandrite as natural and not noting oil treatment in a ruby.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
drruby|1441041326|3921673 said:
rubies and sapphires are both corundum or AL3O2 and yes AL is the most common metal in earth's crust

rubies have a touch of chromium and sapphires titanium and how either got created stupefies most gemologists since silica is way more common and if an area has more silica a common element then normal corundum is formed, it's a freak of nature that either ruby or sapphire is formed in such areas that are all located along plate boundaries and follow weakened crustal areas that are where plates move

Now carbon, you and me are carbon, it's way more COMMON

But you have control of most of the diamond mines by de beers so you see only a fraction of what they have

Walk into any mall in the USA you see how common carbon is

It's all you see

No larger rubies or sapphires is usually the norm, when you see some rubies it's LGF and low grade LGF in huge retailers

Carbon is a common gemstone, rubies are the rarest gemstone PERIOD

I like rare I hate common

:wall: :wall: :wall: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This +1. But I don't think it's quite fair to say that rubies are KING in terms of gems--that is your view, but not necessarily the view of others. Same with diamonds--some like them and some don't.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
100 carat common carbon flawless sold Sotheby's 22Mil

8 Carat flawed ruby sold over 1Mil carat the Graff Ruby

So in the world of GEMSTONES the most expensive per carat is Ruby it is king of gems, period, if you consider price per carat and rarity as the factor.

Diamonds are very common, rubies are not.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1441038919|3921645 said:
Minou,
Here's what it says:
Treatment [Scan QR code for more information]
Heated.

Familiarity with GIA's lab report helps. ;))

In my case, I guess familiarity did not help, lol!

Crystal1128

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for your kind response. I called GIA lab yesterday and they gave me the same answer.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
Can you clarify the size of the Sapphire

Is it 3.60 cts and 8.80 x 7.57 x 5.75 mm

If so that's the weight usually a properly cut Sapphire around 11x9 mm usually

The stone is miscut for an Oval since if it is 7.57 width and 5.75 deep that's almost 76% depth

So you have a stone that is overly deep

A properly cut Sapphire of 3.60 cts is usually around 11x9mm

9x7 sapphires are usally 2.20 carats

AGL I woudn't use since they used to be owned by a sports card grading company Collectors Universe

Try Gubelein or SSEF

I've seen a lot of over weight rubies lately with GIA certs indicating a new treatment process making stones defy accepted SG charts used for ages are showing up, which indicates GIA is certing lots of CG now with obvious treatment issues.

Just my OPINION

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Crystal1128|1441117578|3922075 said:

Thank you all for your kind response. I called GIA lab yesterday and they gave me the same answer.

Glad to hear you did your due diligence, hope they set your mind at rest.
Also, not sure why a person who ONLY likes rubies would post on a thread about blue sapphires, but ... Any professional gemcutter will tell you there are too may variables for colored stones to follow the X x X mm must = X carats formula. Colored stones can be cut with high crowns or flat crowns, pointed or keel pavilions, or large "bellies", all of which will affect their carat weight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results