shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with First Anniversary Diamond Earrings

Best First Anniversary Piece

• Tiffany Victoria Mixed Cluster (Medium)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Tiffany Victoria Classic (Medium)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Whiteflash ACA Studs (1.7ctw-2.0ctw)

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • IDJ 2.0ctw Studs

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

throwaway92

Rough_Rock
Hi all, wanted to say thanks for all the content, advice, and expert knowledge everyone on this forum continues to post. I was able to buy my now wife her dream e-ring and hit way above what I thought I could with my initial budget! Now I am about 20 days out from our first anniversary, and I wanted to buy her a pair of diamond earrings (wanted to do as a wedding gift but we eloped on short notice due to COVID!). I am having a bit of a dilemma choosing between something like the Tiffany Victoria Mixed Cluster earrings (medium), and a pair of classic RB studs. For background, she has the Tiffany Victoria Pendant necklace in medium (classic victoria shape with 4 marquis diamonds) and I know she adores both types of Victoria earrings (mixed cluster and classic 4). I imagine I will get both at some point (RB studs and these victoria earrings), but not sure I can get the studs I'd want for ~$15k budget. Any advice? Studs vs. Victoria, victoria cluster vs classic marquis?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The RB studs are classic and versatile. If you go with WF, you can upgrade them over time. But from briefly looking at your previous threads, your wife has an emerald cut ER. Would she want RB studs? I think either of the Tiffany Victoria earrings would be beautiful, I voted for the classic version to match her necklace!

I voted for the WF because out of the two links you posted I figured it’s a no brainer to get the higher quality of cut if it’s within budget; but actually I would like to remove my vote entirely and suggest a new plan: have IDJ source studs that would match her ering - ie, step cut studs! (Definitely run this plan by her though, might be polarising). If you (and she) want to stick to RBs, perhaps worth running it by IDJ to see what they can get in your ~15k budget. If they can get you reasonably well cut stones, then I would probably go for IDJ because they’re likely to be bigger than the ACAs for the same price, and on the ear I think you’ll notice size more than clarity/colour/cut.

throwaway92

Rough_Rock
Thanks both MRB and AllAboard! Looks like the ACA studs are taking a big lead...

The step cut ering and eternity band wedding ring are lovely, but after trying on various studs together both pre and post engagement, it was clear she prefers the classic rounds or victoria style (little bit more fun/casual) (also liked the HW cluster, but even the smalls were too big (and pricey!!) for her tiny earlobe). I'll def monitor this thread. She is a jeans/t shirt kinda gal (works in tech), and I anticipate getting both of these pieces over time.

My main concern was should I wait to get the lifetime ACA studs (~$20k I think) and go for the $9k fun piece for first anniversary? Also not on the list is a Cartier Tank or Rolex lady datejust. That would leave some room for a 5-year WOW since she has an extremely short list of bucket-list jewelry. The other few I can think of being a cartier nail bangle (already has LOVE version), a sapphire accent ring, and a tennis bracelet (though low on her list weirdly enough).

Thanks both MRB and AllAboard! Looks like the ACA studs are taking a big lead...

The step cut ering and eternity band wedding ring are lovely, but after trying on various studs together both pre and post engagement, it was clear she prefers the classic rounds or victoria style (little bit more fun/casual) (also liked the HW cluster, but even the smalls were too big (and pricey!!) for her tiny earlobe). I'll def monitor this thread. She is a jeans/t shirt kinda gal (works in tech), and I anticipate getting both of these pieces over time.

My main concern was should I wait to get the lifetime ACA studs (~$20k I think) and go for the $9k fun piece for first anniversary? Also not on the list is a Cartier Tank or Rolex lady datejust. That would leave some room for a 5-year WOW since she has an extremely short list of bucket-list jewelry. The other few I can think of being a cartier nail bangle (already has LOVE version), a sapphire accent ring, and a tennis bracelet (though low on her list weirdly enough).

Well if you go for the ACAs you can always upgrade over time, so you wouldn’t need to drop the $20k today. I would suggest if you do go with WF get the size that she would want and compromise on colour/clarity. If/when you later upgrade colour and clarity, you’ll be able to reuse the earring setting; and if you both decide the colour/clarity upgrade isn’t necessary - you’ve saved a few bucks!

A watch could actually also be a great present. I would do either earrings or watch, as they’re both staple things that can be worn daily.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love both of the Tiffany Victoria earring styles. I adore mine and my friend has a large pair and they are STUNNING!

cheers--Sharon

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the ACA's. I agree, studs are classic and timeless and also easy to wear, both casually or dressier. You're saying you're not sure you can get the studs you want for $15K. Is that because you want a specific size so have to drop down in color or something else. If it were me, knowing the upgrade policy, I'd look for my preferred color and clarity in my budget and if that meant compromising on size, I'd do that now, knowing I could upgrade in the future if I wanted. But that would be my preference, and others may choose size now over color/clarity. That is a very personal decision and only you know what your wife would prefer at this point in time.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Well, if you want to spend $15k, you could get the Victoria Classic and a pair of ACA studs that are just under 2ctw. She can always upgrade the stud size later. :D

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it are me, I'd definitely go for the studs, hands down. I started my studs journey in my 20's wearing .5 carats ea.--and am now at my Holy Grail size of 1.84 ea. (I only wished I had gone larger earlier.) YMMV--but I'd try to go as large as you can, without sacrificing clarity. Color is another question--just have to figure out how color sensitive she is & go from there.

Diamond studs are are so versatile. I'd also encourage you to purchase from WF, and utilize their wonderful upgrade program--my most recent HG purchase was an upgrade. You only need to spend $1 additional to qualify for an upgrade, so it's a real easy qualification to hit. A larger stud size down the road--another 5 or so years--would be a great gift! WF is known for their customer service, plus their inventory and selection of ideal cut diamonds is the best I've seen. If you are a younger couple, I can't encourage you enough to buy where you can easily upgrade, & to choose a retailer who will have a selection of which to choose from.

For your next gift after this--I vote a Rolex. Hubby gifted me my first Rolex as a total surprise many years ago, and it was a great gift to receive. You're on the right path young man!:appl:

Last edited:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I feel Like I am cheating on ID jewelry. I am totally committed to them. However if you want studs and you can afford the ACA go for them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results