shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with finding a "stock" setting

voce

Ideal_Rock
www.instagram.com/p/BvLYVBGnD3y/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1bcrpq...

Nowadays, I buy myself gemstones when I have something to celebrate. I was particularly taken with the left and center spinels there. I need help finding stock settings for these gemstones, ones that wouldn't have to be modified that much and would help keep costs down.

@lovedogs and other shoppers, I have already looked at Ivyandrosevintage's offerings on Etsy. They have a 8x6mm oval setting for the sweet pink spinel, but I still need to find a setting for my cushion lavender spinel. It measures 7.5 x 6.

If I have to go custom, I would probably have to push back the time on when I'd be able to set these stones, so it's in PS best interests to find me a stock setting sooner. :P2

P.S. If anyone is going to undertake the task of finding a setting for these spinels, I think I would prefer to set the lavender 7.5x6 cushion N-S and the pink 8x6 oval E-W.

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
If you are in the US you could check the stuller catalogue. I'm sure they would have a setting that would fit and you can order through your local jeweller.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.instagram.com/p/BvLYVBGnD3y/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1bcrpq...

Nowadays, I buy myself gemstones when I have something to celebrate. I was particularly taken with the left and center spinels there. I need help finding stock settings for these gemstones, ones that wouldn't have to be modified that much and would help keep costs down.

@lovedogs and other shoppers, I have already looked at Ivyandrosevintage's offerings on Etsy. They have a 8x6mm oval setting for the sweet pink spinel, but I still need to find a setting for my cushion lavender spinel. It measures 7.5 x 6.

If I have to go custom, I would probably have to push back the time on when I'd be able to set these stones, so it's in PS best interests to find me a stock setting sooner. :P2

P.S. If anyone is going to undertake the task of finding a setting for these spinels, I think I would prefer to set the lavender 7.5x6 cushion N-S and the pink 8x6 oval E-W.
If there's a cushion setting on I&R that you like you can ask them about making it the right size for your stone. Sometimes they can alter designs for an extra $100-150. But other times it's more expensive. Just FYI!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An 8x6 cushion setting would work if you need a calibrated size for the lavender. I love that lavender spinel:love:

Nice choices!

Did you look on eBay or Etsy for stock settings?

voce

Ideal_Rock
An 8x6 cushion setting would work if you need a calibrated size for the lavender. I love that lavender spinel:love:

Nice choices!

Did you look on eBay or Etsy for stock settings?
Thanks! This is high praise, coming from you. I'm thinking I want something a little more embellished, and I'll look at Stuller settings that aren't solitaires.

I've only looked at Ivyandrosevintage on Etsy so far, because I've sent other gemstones to them to set, but right now my priority is to do sketches/layouts for some custom projects with Yvonne and with Inken Krause. Totally relying on my credit card upgrade promotion offers. Need to start saving soon. :confused2:

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words Voce!! I think it would look beautiful in high carat rose gold, and I can’t wait to see the finished piece!! I’m a sucker for beautiful pastel spinels!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@T L I have actually never thought about high carat rose gold. I usually only think about rose gold with greens and blues, but it's true that my lavender sapphire side stones in this ring looked nice in 14k rose gold.
icm_fullxfull.191441318_o1w7p12k6kg4ookkc488.jpg
What is it about high carat rose gold that makes it better than say, 14k rose gold? I've only bought rose gold from Cecile Raley Designs, and I'm afraid rose gold and yellow gold look different depending on the vendor. Do you have a vendor you would recommend for rose gold?

Depending on what stock settings are available, I may still decide to go custom if an inspiration strikes me. And I tend to get "inspired" the longer I hold the stones... :P2

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it because it’s not as coppery (brownish) as lower carat rose gold. It’s more subtle. I have rose gold in 10, 14 and 18k. I have a lavender spinel in 14k, it’s really pretty, but I love the subtle look of 18k rose in my oval blue spinel ring.

I don’t have a specific vendor, but some may use pinker alloys.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about reaching out to jewelryhoo2 on Ebay? They were the company that executed the lovely self-designed paraiba ring belonging to @GoldfishPie. I know that other PSers have used them as well, so they do have a good track record.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about reaching out to jewelryhoo2 on Ebay? They were the company that executed the lovely self-designed paraiba ring belonging to @GoldfishPie. I know that other PSers have used them as well, so they do have a good track record.
I've had great luck w them as well!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your lavender spinel :love:!!! I’ve had great luck with jewelryhoo2 also.

voce

Ideal_Rock
OK thanks all. I will check out jewelryhoo2. Anyone have experience with rose gold with this vendor?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Alas, the settings that appealed to me were the more whimsical ones, not the basic halo one. With 18k and resize, will cost $1k at least. I'll concentrate my efforts on my custom projects for now and wait until they're done to set my spinels.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results