shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with DK Vintage Bezel Halo CADs please!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I wasn’t getting a ton of traction over on the MMD board, so I thought I’d jump over here to see if I can get some opinions. Rocky Talky scares me, and I’m getting a lab diamond so I wasn’t sure if it would be allowed.

First round:
FFF57431-3A17-47A6-9F52-34B6580810AF.jpeg

I asked David to shrink the halo stones, tighten the airline, and he made the NSEW supports around the center bezel smaller so they’re less visible. I was also concerned about it being so high, so he tightened and lowered the basket.

Second round:
CB50B627-E32F-48A9-97C7-AB415D93E800.jpeg

I love the proportions on the halo stones. Less cluster and more target ring in appearance, IMO. He did reassure me that the ring would be much daintier in person but the span across my finger and height measurements made me nervous. I’m considering having him widen the donut just slightly so the basket design is at less of an angle. Aside from that I adore it. It will be 10k yellow gold for appearances and durability. I’ll have him add milgrain around the bezel, inside and outside edge of the halo, and around the “leaves” on the shoulders.

I’m terrible with CADs so please give me advice on changes, if any, that you see are needed!

rubyruby

Rough_Rock
Hopefully someone with more expertise can jump in, but I just want to say I really love it! I think it was a good move to lower the basket, and I totally understand your concern about the span of the ring on your finger. I am waiting on my recently finished piece (my first bespoke piece of jewelry!), but I found it helpful to measure it out with a caliper and to remind myself shrinkage is real ;-) The milgraining will be gorgeous!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you asked for the basket height to be trimmed down, did you ask for the shoulders to not be adjusted with it - or was that a conscious decision?
no right /wrong, just curious.

you can also ‘tuck’ the donut hidden under the basket gallery and that will also change the look of how much the design is visible.

I agree with reducing the visibility of the NSEW supports in the airline.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
When you asked for the basket height to be trimmed down, did you ask for the shoulders to not be adjusted with it - or was that a conscious decision?
no right /wrong, just curious.

you can also ‘tuck’ the donut hidden under the basket gallery and that will also change the look of how much the design is visible.

I agree with reducing the visibility of the NSEW supports in the airline.

I didn’t mention anything about the shoulders also being adjusted. It looks like they’re shorter, where in the first CAD you can see more metal above and below the stone, but the stone size remains the same. I considered tucking the donut as well, like you mentioned, but I think it looks more cohesive and complete with it visible somehow. Probably because I have slight OCD and everything has to have symmetry to me. Lol

Are there any changes you personally would consider after the second round of CADs? Also, thank you for weighing in! I lack imagination and my untrained eyes can use all the help they can get.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Hi Michelle-Lynn! I think it looks so perfect in CAD #2. Before you start second guessing yourself and tweaking it, PLEASE just ask DK for a plastic model. That way you've got a "life sized" , 3D, on your hand to judge by. I find them so helpful and DK will gladly send it to you! ;)2
I didn't know they'd do 10k! That's good info !

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Michelle-Lynn! I think it looks so perfect in CAD #2. Before you start second guessing yourself and tweaking it, PLEASE just ask DK for a plastic model. That way you've got a "life sized" , 3D, on your hand to judge by. I find them so helpful and DK will gladly send it to you! ;)2
I didn't know they'd do 10k! That's good info !

Well…I second guessed and tweaked. Lol. I think I’m gonna go back to the second round. Thoughts?

FE103944-3D7D-439A-B1AB-1C809F6AB022.jpeg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Well…I second guessed and tweaked. Lol. I think I’m gonna go back to the second round. Thoughts?

FE103944-3D7D-439A-B1AB-1C809F6AB022.jpeg

I actually like #3 too. The one regret I have on my ring is that the bottom hole is kind of small. Makes it difficult to clean. I am considering a reset eventually to correct that.
Also note that in CAD 3 they are showing you "on the hand" view in upper right. CAD 2 is angled different. They could send you the "on the hand" angle from CAD 2 so you can compare.
The new cad though will make a larger gap between the ring and a band.

DK will make you molds of both. I did that with my e-ring. I was able to compare 2 options side by side.

Attachments

• 20211116_214301.jpg
    20211116_214301.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 11

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask for the airline measurement to be changed? If not - I’d confirm that with them if they did or not. It appears to my eye it was or it’s a weird artifact coming out in the cad . The airline measurement widens with the shrinkage after casting I believe.

I like cad #3 better in the basket/gallery- but that shouldn’t sway you from liking #2 better at all.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I actually like #3 too. The one regret I have on my ring is that the bottom hole is kind of small. Makes it difficult to clean. I am considering a reset eventually to correct that.
Also note that in CAD 3 they are showing you "on the hand" view in upper right. CAD 2 is angled different. They could send you the "on the hand" angle from CAD 2 so you can compare.
The new cad though will make a larger gap between the ring and a band.

DK will make you molds of both. I did that with my e-ring. I was able to compare 2 options side by side.

It appears that the donut in CAD 3 is actually larger than the first iteration. I think I'll request he sends me a mold of both, like you suggested. Thank you for bringing the ability to clean it to my attention. I hadn't even thought of that. Going back now to stalk your past CADs. Haha! I'd rather be able to see them both on my finger before I make a decision. I have my gold spray paint ready :lol-2:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Did you ask for the airline measurement to be changed? If not - I’d confirm that with them if they did or not. It appears to my eye it was or it’s a weird artifact coming out in the cad . The airline measurement widens with the shrinkage after casting I believe.

I like cad #3 better in the basket/gallery- but that shouldn’t sway you from liking #2 better at all.

I didn't have him make any changes aside from enlarging the donut. I told him *ever so slightly* but it's quite a difference, to my untrained eye. I do see what you're saying about the airline now that I'm at work and can view the CADs on a giant 27" monitor as opposed to a tiny iPhone screen. I may just request both wax molds be sent to me so I can compare on the hand.

Just a thought, what is your opinion of CAD 1 vs. the others? I'm trying to look at them all side by side and my eye is still drawn to #2 but I still like hearing everyone's input on here ;)2

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
For anyone following, molds are on their way!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
They’re here! Please excuse my swollen hands. Holiday baking/eating and all

1E775E7A-D429-4703-A4E1-A3A00B67E6BA.jpeg 865224FC-F1D7-4EAE-855C-A522FEE58DE3.jpeg 1B415259-34C8-4B08-AA39-5447A13B03F6.jpeg 9B39B858-04FE-4C03-9291-B8D195E3A088.jpeg ABCCC6A3-232A-409F-9356-81D9D3ED17E1.jpeg 23105FE7-6F48-44DC-A84D-1BC33F7D11AE.jpeg 7E7583C2-A801-48CA-A212-FF0DD062428D.jpeg 00658EAC-2E2D-4E44-BA72-DCD9B6205212.jpeg 1D8946F0-47E5-40B5-9F2F-CA67B8559384.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results