shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with deciding on Cushion

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I'm guessing you saw multiple old cuts in person with Grace and liked this one the best? The thing with old cuts is that you have to buy what your eye likes. If you got to handle multiple stones and see how they performed, that's a great start.

I do see some darkness under the table a bit, but it's about your eyes and what you like. It looks like it is a lively stone in the videos. Do you like how it performs? I would be concerned about the girdle though, in that setting. The GIA report says extremely thin to thin. I would want more protection on the girdle- i.e. some type of bezel, even a thin one, would protect it more and reduce the risk of damage to the stone.

ck9050

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm guessing you saw multiple old cuts in person with Grace and liked this one the best? The thing with old cuts is that you have to buy what your eye likes. If you got to handle multiple stones and see how they performed, that's a great start.

I do see some darkness under the table a bit, but it's about your eyes and what you like. It looks like it is a lively stone in the videos. Do you like how it performs? I would be concerned about the girdle though, in that setting. The GIA report says extremely thin to thin. I would want more protection on the girdle- i.e. some type of bezel, even a thin one, would protect it more and reduce the risk of damage to the stone.

Thank so much for your feedback Elizat! I really did love how it performs! I was concerned that the GIA reports shows that the girdle already has some chips already and that it is extremely thin to thin as you mentioned. I actually loved the setting that Grace currently has it in but your concern about it being a risky setting for the girdle is something I've thought about too. I'm not too familiar with bezel settings so I'll have to do some research. I just wonder if it's worth getting a diamond that will limit me as to what settings I could have. Of course, I assume if I'm a very careful person it should be fine but I tend to lean more clumsy than graceful. :doh:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to everything elizat has said :))

ck9050

Rough_Rock
I really like the current setting, is there any more protective version of this setting that anyone can recommend?
Since the girdle is extremely thin to thin would this be considered a deal breaker?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is a lovely stone and setting. I’d buy it in a flash if I were in the market for a cushion. If you’ve seen it in person and loved it, that’s really important.
To protect the girdle a bit more you could look at settings like CvB’s Dahlia which are a bit more protective - there’s a thread here with a few interpretations. Also check with Grace about how delicate it really is and how much you do need to worry about protecting it.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think asking Grace is a good start. I'm just risk averse with old stones, so I'd probably want it in something more protective just because I bang my hands at times.

I think the Dahlia would be really pretty and a bit more protective.

It's a pretty setting (just pulled from Google images)

il_570xN.1267102708_jabc_800x.jpg il_794xN.1314334491_etap.jpg

the Olivia ring she makes may have a bit more protection too, as compared to the current setting, but I'd probably feel better about the Dahlia.

il_794xN.1091382920_7nzu.jpg il_794xN.1091383026_2zet.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you've seen it IRL and love it, then go for it. You have to love it. With regard to settings, I'm paranoid too, and I don't even have a very thin girdle. But that is entirely my problem.

Can you post a pic of the current setting? @elizat posted some great suggestions for more protective solitaire style settings. If you go for a vintage style setting, there are lots out there than can provide lots of protection. You can also have a lot of fun designing your own setting. I put a full metal bezel around my OEC. Not saying you should, but if you wanted to, it would look great. I have always loved bezels around old cuts. Emphasized the beautiful faceting.

ck9050

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for your help! These settings are beautiful and it's definitely something I will keep in mind.

We had placed a soft hold on the ring but someone else also had their eyes on it, since we were not 100% sure, we had to let it go. It was an incredibly beautiful piece, I'm still sad to see it go. I guess I can consider it our first learning experience to finding the perfect diamond.

We've reached out to Grace to see if she could find us a similar performing 3.5ct+ antique cushion. She hasn't gotten back to us yet, but I really hope she can find us something because I really trust her eye.

I'm new to posting on Pricescope, do you guys think I should start a thread seeking help for a cushion?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Are you open to another vendor? If so, maybe look at Love Affair Diamonds. Erica is Grace's former business partner.

With your budget- based upon the Grace listing price, I would personally buy this three stone ring in a heart beat:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/5-86ctw-old-mine-cushion-cut-diamond-ring-gia-m-vs2-center/

Or, if you don't like the three stone, ask about the center loose with a solitaire setting. She'd probably break it up.

I like this stone personally, but I really like the more rustic faceting on the earlier stones. This is pretty to my eye, but you have to like that flavor:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/3-70ct-antique-old-mine-cushion-cut-diamond-ags-m-vs1/

I highly recommend Adam of Old World Diamonds if you are willing to consider another vendor aside from Grace as well. He has a huge inventory and is great to work with. I have done three projects with him. His prices on his site are usually higher than what he will do on the stone as well. He can pull inventory and options for you, send videos, etc., if he knows your budget and wants.

I like this stone too:

https://oldworlddiamonds.com/favori...hape=C&item=diamond&referer=favorite-diamonds

ck9050

Rough_Rock
Are you open to another vendor? If so, maybe look at Love Affair Diamonds. Erica is Grace's former business partner.

With your budget- based upon the Grace listing price, I would personally buy this three stone ring in a heart beat:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/5-86ctw-old-mine-cushion-cut-diamond-ring-gia-m-vs2-center/

Or, if you don't like the three stone, ask about the center loose with a solitaire setting. She'd probably break it up.

I like this stone personally, but I really like the more rustic faceting on the earlier stones. This is pretty to my eye, but you have to like that flavor:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/3-70ct-antique-old-mine-cushion-cut-diamond-ags-m-vs1/

I highly recommend Adam of Old World Diamonds if you are willing to consider another vendor aside from Grace as well. He has a huge inventory and is great to work with. I have done three projects with him. His prices on his site are usually higher than what he will do on the stone as well. He can pull inventory and options for you, send videos, etc., if he knows your budget and wants.

I like this stone too:

https://oldworlddiamonds.com/favori...hape=C&item=diamond&referer=favorite-diamonds
m

Thank you for your advice elizat! We were thinking about Adam from OWD, and with your recommendation we’re more confident. We were and still are newbs so we were worried that a lot his diamonds weren’t graded by GIA, because the color grades seem much looser. His European cuts are beautiful, I never really saw many cushions on his website so I just assumed he didn’t have too many.
Honestly before trying the 4.11ct, I didn’t even think I wanted something that size but now I’m leaning more 4+! Aside from the girdle being extremely thin, the N color did give us a little bit of doubt on the 4.11ct piece. However, the cut and performance on the 4.11 was basically perfect in my eyes- I really love the even spread of the chunky facets. It looks like it will be quite hard to find- and I’m kicking myself a little for letting it go! The diamonds you found are beautiful but the facets aren't the look I’m looking for. But like you said, it really depends on your eyes and I don’t think I can really judge these antique cushions without seeing them in person!
Grace has gotten back to us and says she will be on the look out for a diamond for us.

We will also reach out to Adam!

Thank you so much again elizat for being so welcoming and willing to help! I will certainly keep you updated on our finds!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@ck9050 you are welcome! Adam has a lot more than is listed actually. I have bought both GIA and EGL from him. EGL is softer on specs, but it should be priced accordingly.

@missy can also vouch for Old World Diamonds.

I would call or send him a note about your budget and wants, then see what he can do. Looking forward to seeing what you find!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy can also vouch for Old World Diamonds.

Oh yes I can vouch for Adam. He has the best and biggest Old Cut diamond selection in perhaps the world I think. Or at least a whole lot of beautiful old cuts. And he won't steer you wrong. He is trustworthy and has a good eye. If you call him and chat with him you will find out how wonderful he is and if anyone can find you your dream stone he can IMO.

His inventory is huge and he doesn't list many of the stones he has in inventory. And his photos and videos generally do not do the diamond justice. Calling him is best. Good luck and please do come back with photos.:appl:

ck9050

Rough_Rock
@elizat @missy Thank you both for the support and advice! Definitely will post the pictures of our final purchase!:angel:

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Definitely contact Adam. He's great to work with and has a good eye. If he has a stone that's ungraded, he will send it to GIA for you if that's what you want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results