shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CushionMad

Rough_Rock
I have recently been on a search for a cushion cut diamond for my engagement ring. I have learned a lot from reading all of the posts here on pricescope about cushion cuts, and it became obvious how hard the search was going to be. I found a great looking cushion (to my eye, at least) but there is one red flag. The depth is 80% percent, and while it has a carat weight of 2.55, it still has the size I was initially looking for. I know it does not look like a 2.5 carat diamond, and for its price we definitely would not be paying for a 2.5 carat stone. I have read that deeper stones look more lifeless, but when I first saw the stone I was shocked at how much it sparkles. I guess I am wondering what the consequences of a deeper stone would be, especially when its set. Is it still worth it to buy such a deep stone? Should I just get over it because I love everything else about the stone? My boyfriend told me I wouldn't have noticed it until I looked at the cert... and I think he's right. But don't tell him that!

It is a rectangular cushion, E color and SI1. I can't remember what the table % was off the top of my head, but I think it was in the higher 60's. The diamond is VERY white, is eye-clean and I think it has a great cut. Any help with my doubts would really be appreciated! I want to make sure we are getting a great diamond before we put a deposit down!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2010 1:08:37 AM
Author:CushionMad
I have recently been on a search for a cushion cut diamond for my engagement ring. I have learned a lot from reading all of the posts here on pricescope about cushion cuts, and it became obvious how hard the search was going to be. I found a great looking cushion (to my eye, at least) but there is one red flag. The depth is 80% percent, and while it has a carat weight of 2.55, it still has the size I was initially looking for. I know it does not look like a 2.5 carat diamond, and for its price we definitely would not be paying for a 2.5 carat stone. I have read that deeper stones look more lifeless, but when I first saw the stone I was shocked at how much it sparkles. I guess I am wondering what the consequences of a deeper stone would be, especially when its set. Is it still worth it to buy such a deep stone? Should I just get over it because I love everything else about the stone? My boyfriend told me I wouldn''t have noticed it until I looked at the cert... and I think he''s right. But don''t tell him that!

It is a rectangular cushion, E color and SI1. I can''t remember what the table % was off the top of my head, but I think it was in the higher 60''s. The diamond is VERY white, is eye-clean and I think it has a great cut. Any help with my doubts would really be appreciated! I want to make sure we are getting a great diamond before we put a deposit down!
Hi Cushionmad and welcome.

What a timely question considering there is a thread discussing depth and spread in fancy shapes going on at the moment...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-depth-is-not-the-opposite-of-spread-in-a-fancy-shape.139459/

What is the diameter in MM of this diamond? That will give a better indication of the face up size. We have very little info to go on at the moment, can you post the diameter, table size and type of grading report the diamond has please? How much are they asking for it?

CushionMad

Rough_Rock
I did come across that topic.... and it did clarify a few things. But it is a lot of information for a beginner to learn! I am going to try and get all the specs so I can get more help with my decision from you all. It is an EGL USA cert and they are asking $11,400. All help is appreciated!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2010 11:18:54 PM
Author: CushionMad
It is an EGL USA cert and they are asking $11,400. All help is appreciated!
I would definitely suggest making any sale final on this diamond checking out to your satisfaction in all respects with an independant appraisal, see below for the appraiser tool.

appraiser listing

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 1:08:37 AM
Author:CushionMad
I have recently been on a search for a cushion cut diamond for my engagement ring. I have learned a lot from reading all of the posts here on pricescope about cushion cuts, and it became obvious how hard the search was going to be. I found a great looking cushion (to my eye, at least) but there is one red flag. The depth is 80% percent, and while it has a carat weight of 2.55, it still has the size I was initially looking for. I know it does not look like a 2.5 carat diamond, and for its price we definitely would not be paying for a 2.5 carat stone. I have read that deeper stones look more lifeless, but when I first saw the stone I was shocked at how much it sparkles. I guess I am wondering what the consequences of a deeper stone would be, especially when its set. Is it still worth it to buy such a deep stone? Should I just get over it because I love everything else about the stone? My boyfriend told me I wouldn't have noticed it until I looked at the cert... and I think he's right. But don't tell him that!

It is a rectangular cushion, E color and SI1. I can't remember what the table % was off the top of my head, but I think it was in the higher 60's. The diamond is VERY white, is eye-clean and I think it has a great cut. Any help with my doubts would really be appreciated! I want to make sure we are getting a great diamond before we put a deposit down!
It is most likely not going to be worth buying an 80% depth stone, and EGL is known to be soft on grading color and clarity as well.
Stones too deep usually with very deep pavillion usually suffer and look darker under the table from leakage or obstruction.

For that price you will be looking at a well cut cushion, GIA graded E SI1 in the ~1.4 - 1.5 carat range.

We can't tell you anything about cut without the certificate, a photograph and the ASET image, but nothing you have written would encourage me.

Have you compared it to other cushions? Do you know what type of cushion cut you like most?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suspect that the EGL cert has a lot to do with the lower price. Most likely it is not a true E/SI1.

CushionMad

Rough_Rock
I know it has a lower price because of the EGL cert, and I am okay with that. Our jeweler is a very close friend of the family so we are getting a great deal because of that too. The diamond actually faces up really white and it is eye-clean to me. I have compared it to other cushions, and I decided that I like the shape and size of this one. I am going to try to get the cert faxed to me tomorrow. My only doubt with the stone is the depth.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 6:49:32 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/3/2010 11:18:54 PM
Author: CushionMad
It is an EGL USA cert and they are asking $11,400. All help is appreciated!
I would definitely suggest making any sale final on this diamond checking out to your satisfaction in all respects with an independant appraisal, see below for the appraiser tool.

appraiser listing
I think this is the advice you should follow if you want a true and independent assessment of the diamond and its actual value. The trouble with EGL certs in my mind is ascertainting the true market value of a stone because the color and clarity are hard t oacurtely determine. An independent apprasal will help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results