shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with choosing an Emerald cut diamond

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hello lovely peoples!

I wanted to get your thoughts on a potential “second” ring for my ring finger. For those casual or more active days when I don’t want to wear my bigger diamond. I wanted a smaller emerald cut diamond as I’ve always been fascinated with them; set east/west on a thin pave band.

I already have a gorgeous WF ACA round diamond and actually, my husband, then boyfriend, posted on here awhile back to seek help choosing that diamond! You guys helped him settle his mind so I thought I would try here too.

I think I’m looking for:
-emerald cut
-0.50 carats give or take bigger/smaller
-F or better color
-VVS1 or better
-table between 60%-68%
-depth under 67%
-budget is around $2000

I am leaning towards James Allen as my vendor since they seem to have a good online selection, clear videos/photos, and good prices/return policy? I’ve got a few stones saved, should I post links to them? Or the SKU’s? (I tried to send a JA link to my friend earlier and it didn’t work.)

I’m open to any and all suggestions. What do we think? I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Options (hope these links work):

$1550
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.63-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-6536713

$1600
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.56-carat-e-color-if-clarity-sku-3322276

$1650
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.54-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-4401436

$1800
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.60-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-3675626

None of them have the ASET available when I asked the JA rep. I liked having the various light reports available when researching on WF's site with the Round Brilliant diamonds. Its hard choosing based on the sparkle and attributes noted but I'm giving it my best shot.

Thank you!:wavey:

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Calling @Matthews1127 to get her "on the case!" She's the "Step Cut Queen!"

I'm terrible at the scientific side of things, and would probably recommend the wrong stone completely, but I love step cuts, too. Can't wait to see what you wind up with! :appl:

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for doing that! I could use some help from the Step Queen! ;-)

I feel like I can choose a RB fairly well given all the light reports out there but EC is another story.

Calling @Matthews1127 to get her "on the case!" She's the "Step Cut Queen!"

I'm terrible at the scientific side of things, and would probably recommend the wrong stone completely, but I love step cuts, too. Can't wait to see what you wind up with! :appl:

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your input. I asked JA for the ASET but the rep said it’s not available. Should I have pressed further? Should I shop elsewhere?

I did end up going with my fourth option for now since the rep thought it looked the best of the bunch but I’m going purely based off of the videos, specs and referral to that particular stone.

Is there any other online shops you’d recommend that might have something within budget and with the proper light reports?

THANK YOU!

Would be interested to see ASET images of this & a video with the EC seated N-S....

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.60-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6531900

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thank you v much! Did you happen to check out the fourth option? I went with that one for now since that was the recommendation from the rep and I guess I could see more sparkly reflections in the videos.

Do you have any other online shops you’d recommend for me to visit and check out?

Appreciate it.

No contest for me. The 0.56.
Not the color or clarity but the shape and lushness of it.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is JA 0.60DVVS1, head on.
This is listed as #4 on your post, above. Is this the stone you were recommended to choose?

B1463B4E-744F-42EF-BD6F-867663EAA7D9.jpeg

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi yes. That’s the one. I originally didn’t have it in my list due to the amount of darkness head-on but once the video played, it did seem to sparkle/shimmer a ton so I thought perhaps it was a poor choice of angle for the head-on picture.

This is JA 0.60DVVS1, head on.
This is listed as #4 on your post, above. Is this the stone you were recommended to choose?

B1463B4E-744F-42EF-BD6F-867663EAA7D9.jpeg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! That one is on my list too. May I ask what you look for in the videos/specs that are available on the JA site?

I look at how the steps perform, and I stop the video, head on. If the head-on view shows too many dark steps at the same time, I eliminate it.
The 2 EC’s I posted have potential to be better performers, and more consistently bright, across the body/belly, than JA 0.60DVVS1.

The fact that JA is telling you that no ASET’s are available leads me to believe these stones are from virtual inventory, and they do not have them in-house.
They SHOULD be able to request the in-house vendor for ASET images. If required, you may be asked to pay a fee for them. For me*, the fee is worth it, when purchasing “blind”.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi yes. That’s the one. I originally didn’t have it in my list due to the amount of darkness head-on but once the video played, it did seem to sparkle/shimmer a ton so I thought perhaps it was a poor choice of angle for the head-on picture.

The videos show the stone positioned on P3 facet. This position makes evaluation very difficult, which is why I recommend requesting video of the stone positioned N-S....

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
:kiss2:Thanks so much for spending the time with me and sharing your input!

I went ahead and changed to the JA 0.61 F vvs2. I wasn’t 1000% sold on my previous choice due to the dark spots head-on but did notice the shine in video mode. I believe the ratio is better in this newly chosen 0.61 stone, too.

This has been a semi-impulsive purchase for me. I guess I’ll find out “how it goes” soon enough. I will post pics here once I receive it in a couple weeks. :mrgreen:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2:Thanks so much for spending the time with me and sharing your input!

I went ahead and changed to the JA 0.61 F vvs2. I wasn’t 1000% sold on my previous choice due to the dark spots head-on but did notice the shine in video mode. I believe the ratio is better in this newly chosen 0.61 stone, too.

This has been a semi-impulsive purchase for me. I guess I’ll find out “how it goes” soon enough. I will post pics here once I receive it in a couple weeks. :mrgreen:

Glad you paused, since you had your doubts!!
Super excited for you!! I can’t wait for your follow up! Please return with your reaction, and opinions, after you receive your new EC!! :mrgreen2:
I am anxious to see it!!!
Welcome to the step cut club!!! ;)2

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a virtual representation of what your EC will look like on a US size 5 finger with a 2.0mm shank.

The dimensions (in spite of the table x depth stats) seem to work very well for the cut of your EC.
You can’t beat the color or the clarity for the price, and it should face up nicely for its carat weight.

It’s difficult to judge a step cut by video, so I’m really hoping your naked eye, up close & personal examination confirms it’s a keeper!!!

https://www.diamdb.com/diamond/0.61ct-emerald-6.07x4.20x2.61/

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thank you - thank you - I’m anxiously awaiting joining the Step Club! I seriously have always been infatuated with them. My husband loves the RB’s and so do I but the long halls of the EC’s really get me. I’m not sure which cut I like more. So! It will be fun to wear the EC sometimes. I don’t have a “wedding band” so I guess this can be it? :twisted2:

Glad you paused, since you had your doubts!!
Super excited for you!! I can’t wait for your follow up! Please return with your reaction, and opinions, after you receive your new EC!! :mrgreen2:
I am anxious to see it!!!
Welcome to the step cut club!!! ;)2

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Whoa hey!!! This tool is really cool!! Boy am I glad I posted here. This place is great.

From what it looks like, the size is going to be just what I wanted. Not too big and not too small. I don’t want to detract from my WF ACA at all (not that I’m wearing it at the same time), but just in general.

I bought one of those macro lenses another PSer mentioned so that I can take close up photos and such once it arrives. I. AM. SO. STOKED.

This is a virtual representation of what your EC will look like on a US size 5 finger with a 2.0mm shank.

The dimensions (in spite of the table x depth stats) seem to work very well for the cut of your EC.
You can’t beat the color or the clarity for the price, and it should face up nicely for its carat weight.

It’s difficult to judge a step cut by video, so I’m really hoping your naked eye, up close & personal examination confirms it’s a keeper!!!

https://www.diamdb.com/diamond/0.61ct-emerald-6.07x4.20x2.61/

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa hey!!! This tool is really cool!! Boy am I glad I posted here. This place is great.

From what it looks like, the size is going to be just what I wanted. Not too big and not too small. I don’t want to detract from my WF ACA at all (not that I’m wearing it at the same time), but just in general.

I bought one of those macro lenses another PSer mentioned so that I can take close up photos and such once it arrives. I. AM. SO. STOKED.

I can’t wait to see photos!!! :appl:

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
HELLO everyone! I received my new emerald cut diamond today! I'll be starting a new thread with tons of pics in SMTB. Hope to see you there to get some input! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results