shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CADs For my EC please?

lexarose

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I'm starting a new thread over on this forum upon receiving a set of CADs for my emerald cut e-ring. My inspiration is the ring from this thread https://www.pricescope.com/communit...sary-upgrade-2-52-emerald-cut-diamond.187820/. I would love to hear any commentary that anyone has to make my design better/ flow better. Thank you all in advance for your input! Just as an addition to where my thoughts are in comparison to the inspiration, I wanted the design to be a little more of a geometric motif on the sides versus the more organic teardrop/swirly shapes on the inspiration ring.

agr5_0.jpg

agr3.jpg

agr2_0.jpg

agr2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is the milgrain there for you to visualize or are they casting it as part of the piece?

If it's there visually and they are hand applying the milgrain, great.

If they are casting the milgrain, no. Don't settle for that. It's really not comparable.

lexarose

Rough_Rock
The mil grain will be hand applied after the ring is cast. I think the milgrain present in the images makes the piece look very bulky and that's kind of what I'm worried about. I don't want my ring to look like as big Super Bowl ring where my center stone gets lost. Any suggestions?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it just the way the cad looked or is it getting Bezeled? I assume no as those are prongs too, but it looked like the center stone is bezeled.

Also it has an almost split shank feel. where I think the insperation has a domed pave design, with a soft of halo put on top of it. If that makes sense. Like if they could somehow do this, but with a halo on top.

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/vintage-platinum-milgrain-ring-pid-1071-44.html

lexarose

Rough_Rock
The center stone will be prong set but it does look kind of like a mix between prong and bezel set in this rendering. I know what you mean about it looking like a split shank vs a domed kind of look but I'm not really sure how to put that into words as far as an email? I actually love the cutout parts of the design like the kite shape and triangles on the sides and I'm thinking that the whole shank should have more of a faster taper/curve into a thinner shank like the inspiration setting. I'm also thinking about asking for the halo to be thinner and be at a steeper angle to make it look like the center stone is resting on the halo vs being surrounded by it. Do you guys think these are valid thoughts that will help the setting flow better? Any additional suggestions/ comments?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lexarose|1381371593|3535107 said:
The center stone will be prong set but it does look kind of like a mix between prong and bezel set in this rendering. I know what you mean about it looking like a split shank vs a domed kind of look but I'm not really sure how to put that into words as far as an email? I actually love the cutout parts of the design like the kite shape and triangles on the sides and I'm thinking that the whole shank should have more of a faster taper/curve into a thinner shank like the inspiration setting. I'm also thinking about asking for the halo to be thinner and be at a steeper angle to make it look like the center stone is resting on the halo vs being surrounded by it. Do you guys think these are valid thoughts that will help the setting flow better? Any additional suggestions/ comments?

Yes I think all those might be what's bothering me about the current cad. I do think the sides need something to keep it from looking like a split shank. Unless that's your goal. I think maybe have the whole thing set a bit lower, the sides taper faster like you said. What's the shank mm at now?

I think all your ideas should be conveyed to ERD these sound great and would I think bring this closer to your vision.

Only other thing is I wish it had a bit more open space... like more of the arie metal gap details on the sides.

lexarose

Rough_Rock
I kind of noticed that it looked like a split shank as well. Any ideas on how to change that or what to say in the email to get across that I want to change that?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK so doing laugh too hard at my terrible drawing as I'm on the phone and don't have a good photo editing app. Plus my hand is all shaky. But I was thinking sooomething like this. Where there's a diamond shape coming up from the bottom, and turning the two rows into an x to break up the split shank look. This is just a slight representation of what I'm talking about as my descriptive words may not be very helpful :lol:
(I'm sure I added more diamonds than would really fit. Lol)

you can do the same thing just color it in and draw what you had in mind for the sides.

uploadfromtaptalk1381430702936.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you said it, not me. But yeah, it's looking superbowl ish.
What is the point size on the melee, and what are the dimensions of the center.

And who are you working with?

lexarose

Rough_Rock
I am working with Engagement Rings Direct for this setting. I am posting the pictures of the resin model that I received last night as well for some more "3-D" perspective. Also my center stone measurements are 7.65 x 6.64 x 4.37 for reference.

image_693.jpg

image_692.jpg

image_691.jpg

image_690.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. Let's attack this from a different angle.

Why don't you post the inspiration images you sent them, so we can see what you asked for.

lexarose

Rough_Rock
I actually emailed him the link that I posted at the beginning of the thread... Basically I told him I wanted a very close replica of this setting except for a couple of small adjustments to the engraving design on the side (replace the pear shape on the side with something more geometric/ Art Deco. He told me that it would totally be possible for them to do and said that the thread had all the angles that he and the design team would need, which is why I'm kind of struggling with how the CAD looks now vs what I asked for and what to say to change to get closer to my inspiration. Here are some of the best pictures of my inspiration.

image_701.jpg

image_702.jpg

image_704.jpg

SpoiledByHim

Rough_Rock
Lex, it is SO fortuitous that I found this posting! I absolutely adore asscher_girl's ring and have been obsessed with it since May. I was also kicking around the idea of having a similar ring made but with different sides as well (wasn't keen on the tear drops, but certainly would never have said no to the ring! :love:). What gets me about her ring, besides the mesmerizing step cut stone, is the angle of the halo around the stone (downward-sloping), the curvature of the diamonds down the "corners" of the shank, and of course the deliciously perfect milgrain. Ok, pretty much everything. A-MAZ-ING!

I'm not entirely sure what your ring idea is, but if you're thinking the same thing as me, then unfortunately I don't think your ring captures this.

I'm so excited to see what you come up with!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's what I figured. I was pretty sure it was AG's ring.

Okay so.

Here are my thoughts.

I know that ERD's CADs can be bulky, as a function of their software.

I would tell them to make the WHOLE THING 15% more delicate-- less metal, smaller point size on the diamonds in the pave, finer smaller milgrain and overall slimming things down. Since the CAD adds about that much over actual, taking the additional off will get you a final product that is feminine and in line with AG's ring.

If you want something more geometric in the design, I would tell them to propose a couple options for you to chose from. I also don't like the design on the profile very much. I needs something-- more open-ness .

If you look at AG's ring you'll see that there is a scallop right under the halo from all around that is open. They can mimic that for you with triangles instead of scallops. That will make the design that much nicer, add delicacy and get more of a geometric feel. SEE BELOW for what I am talking about.

You are working with a great, creative bench.

And I do think the design needs some tweaking, and I think you should definitely get their skill to work for you more. Challenge them by telling them to slim it down overall, and also to propose alternatives to the design on the shoulders, and they will rise to it.

ag_ring.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the tweaks I would recommend (in addition to what I suggested above):

customechaloerd2.jpg

lexarose

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Gypsy!!! You just put into words exactly what I was trying to articulate! I'm going to email Chrid back today and I will use the images you used on this thread if that's ok?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course. That's why I.posted them . :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy is right; the CAD design is too blocky and geometric. It need more curves and possibly even some gaps or scallops to soften the look.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I am not totally familiar with cads but on this one that halo looks flat. And it is hard to tell on the wax if it is flat as well. When you look at the inspiration ring the halo is angled.

Anyone else notice this??
:bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo is angled in this one, both the CAD and wax.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When they can follow up on Gypsy's advice, it's going to be a fabulous ring. How many carats is your center stone? And the color?
The CAD now looks very bulky and they did not quite capture the elegance of your inspiration ring (one of my PS favourites!!). Making it slimmer overall with more curvature on the shank and making the gallery/profile less heavy will help.
Can't wait to see the outcome!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
GYpsy, you are phenomenal! i am following this thread as i also ADORE AG ring....i cant add any input into the design but i sure am waiting to see this result!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
This will be amazing! Cannot wait to see!! Also, Gypsy can you design a halo ring for my EC? LOL.... actually, I'm not kidding! You are fabulous! Looking for same thing but a different side width. Love the geometric effect as well - maybe with some square cuts in there! Hope you get it soon! So excited for you! :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all, Thanks all, I hope that lexrose's ring turns out to be phenomenal. I learned from all the many helpful posters over the years, and am happy to help others the way I was helped when I was first on here.

Emerald Lover, I would be happy to help you after you've chosen your vendor and started the CAD process. Just post a thread and ask, and I'll chime in where needed.

lexarose

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the support an input and sharing my excitement about this process! I sent an email to Chris with the changes described with pictures from this thread (thanks again Gypsy!). I asked for the whole setting to be slimmer, to have a faster curve/taper down the shank, to angle the halo much more steeply, and to change the design so that the sides don't look like a split shank ring and instead look like one cohesive design. I also pointed out the gaps/scallops on the inspiration piece. I haven't heard back from Chris yet but I will definitely be posting the new CADs when they arrive!

Acinom, my EC is 2.08 carats and a K color IF clarity. I have a thread with a bunch of pictures of my stone right here : https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/proud-to-present-my-new-ec-beauty.191080/

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lexarose|1381931283|3538747 said:
Thank you all for the support an input and sharing my excitement about this process! I sent an email to Chris with the changes described with pictures from this thread (thanks again Gypsy!). I asked for the whole setting to be slimmer, to have a faster curve/taper down the shank, to angle the halo much more steeply, and to change the design so that the sides don't look like a split shank ring and instead look like one cohesive design. I also pointed out the gaps/scallops on the inspiration piece. I haven't heard back from Chris yet but I will definitely be posting the new CADs when they arrive!

Acinom, my EC is 2.08 carats and a K color IF clarity. I have a thread with a bunch of pictures of my stone right here : https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/proud-to-present-my-new-ec-beauty.191080/

Aaaah! Now I can connect the two... I even posted in your thread. Your stone is a beauty!!! One day I hope to have an EC as well and I am also very intrigued by AG's setting by Sebastien Barier (one of my Pricescope favourites). We have similar taste. Can't wait to see your new CAD's!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, what a beautiful EC.

lexarose

Rough_Rock
Ok new CADs just came in. I think we're getting closer to what I envisioned. The only things I would ask for at this point are the steepen the halo angle even more and to generally make the entire setting more delicate. Is there anything I'm missing? Additional thoughts are always much appreciated!

image_716.jpg

image_717.jpg

image_718.jpg

image_719.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the third pic of the ring, but the very last picture just seems too wide. I agree, even more halo angle, and somehow thin the width. I much prefer the design of the side area on the second version.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results