shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with buying first pair of diamond studs

Hannahbug29

Rough_Rock
Hi! I’ve never posted, but have been lurking on this site, looking at all the “show me your studs” “show me your daily earrings,” etc... I was having a hard time sifting through all the comments just to find 2-3 that were helpful to my situation, so I’m hoping you guys can help me with the couple of questions I have. I have purchased other diamond jewelry before, but never earrings, and I know a decent amount about jewelry in general, but it seems like the people on these forums are much more knowledgeable than I am.

-I would love to see photos on the ear, of pairs of earrings ranging between 1.5-2ctw. (The diamonds I’m currently considering are .90ct each) Preferably without the picture being *just* an ear (it’s easier for me to see how the size looks if it’s not super zoomed in and I can see maybe part of the side of the face, etc)

-I would also really really appreciate any photos anyone is willing to take of a side-view of their setting, while on the ear. I can obviously look up photos of basket vs martini, but it’s hard to find side views of them on an ear to be able to see the differences on how much they stick out. (I know it varies a lot, just curious to see different pairs and different settings on the ear from the side)

-also wondering what your personal opinion/experience is with basket settings vs martini. Having a hard time choosing. I have tried some on but just am really indecisive about this. What are the pros/cons for you personally? These will be everyday earrings for me.

Thanks so much! :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being its a jewelry and gem site people are cautious about showing themselves totally. So you might not get the photos you're after.

That said, you can find a way to see what works for your own ear. Find the size stone that is closest to your ideal size. (for instance, you said .90ct per ear so, your looking at 5.8-5.9mm round.) measure and cut that mm size circle on a piece of white paper, and tack it to your ear (dab of vaseline works!) this will give you an idea of coverage. Yes I've done this myself....lol Its actually quite a helpful exercise.

I personally like baskets because my holes are too low on my ear(s) and they're not even. I've tried martini and they just look....crazy...lol. Baskets help to hide both of those. I also have la pousette backings which stabalize the earrings and make them sit up nicely. You'll find lots of people have their own preferences about a setting style and different types of backs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer baskets with a flat base as martini's can sink into the piercing and stretch it. No one can really see the sides of the settings on your ear, so I wouldn't worry about that. It would be very hard to get a photo of that. I have pictures saved that may not be exactly what you're asking, but maybe it's a start. My studs are from Whiteflash, and I upgraded a few times! (.90 should be about 6.2mm)

These are .80 cts (6mm) each and .65 each

WF.80&.65.jpg

This one is 1.15 cts (6.7 mm) each. Sorry I didn't ever get some at .90 each!

WF.2.32ctwH  2015-03-17 2.jpg

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I'd recommend ordering some CZs to see what size you like best. Something just under 2ct will be significantly cheaper, so that's something to consider as well. +1 to martini earrings sinking in and stretching out your piercing. I'd go with the basket setting.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For me personally, I didn't like the martini settings. I initially ordered my WF pair in martini, & returned for a low basket setting. The new basket helped the earring sit 'up' better (not as much drooping) in my ear lobe.

As @diamondseeker2006 said, the martini's didn't sit as well in my ear either. My earrings are 7mm (1.3 ea) and the martini setting did not provide a good base for the earring to sit on--it sort of sunk into my lobe & drooped at the same time...imagine the face of the stone looking towards the floor....not a good look IMHO. The basket setting greatly improved the appearance and helped the earring sit up.

Unfortunately I don't have any good photo's of the earrings on my ear...DS's photos show the basket position on her ear lobe beautifully....good luck with your decisions!

Hannahbug29

Rough_Rock
I prefer baskets with a flat base as martini's can sink into the piercing and stretch it. No one can really see the sides of the settings on your ear, so I wouldn't worry about that. It would be very hard to get a photo of that. I have pictures saved that may not be exactly what you're asking, but maybe it's a start. My studs are from Whiteflash, and I upgraded a few times! (.90 should be about 6.2mm)

These are .80 cts (6mm) each and .65 each

WF.80&.65.jpg

This one is 1.15 cts (6.7 mm) each. Sorry I didn't ever get some at .90 each!

WF.2.32ctwH  2015-03-17 2.jpg

Thanks so much!! Your pictures were so helpful. I think I’m leaning toward a basket setting :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results