shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Akoya pearl repair and opinions are needed :-)

nkc

Shiny_Rock
I bought an Akoya pearl necklace and earrings many years ago from a high end jewelry store in Dubai. I knew nothing about jewelry at the time and still don't know much about pearls.
The necklace has never been worn. I had 4 pearls taken out to make it shorter and the clasp color changed from 18K yellow to 18K white gold. The work was done by the same store it was purchased from. I have no idea why I decided to make it shorter at the time and now I feel it is too short to wear.
Also, the pearl on my earring came off when I was taking the earring off.
I'm looking for recommendations to repair the earrings and add the pearls back to the necklace. Can this work be easily done by any jewelry store or should I look for someone who specializes in pearls? Is it worth repairing the earrings or should I just buy new ones?
I know I can wear the earrings but not sure about wearing the necklace. Do you recommend adding the pearls back and wearing it or should I just sell it? Do you think pearl necklaces are outdated?
Thank you in advance for your help =)2

Attachments

• AKOYA1.jpg
    AKOYA1.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 27
  • AKOYA2.jpg
    AKOYA2.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 15

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi nkc. We love pearls around here, so the answer is no, not out of date at all.

Most pearl vendors would restring the strand and add your 4 pearls back in for a very nominal fee. I had Pearl Paradise clean and restring my Akoyas and I was very pleased at the low cost. Regluing the stud should also be a minimal repair.

You may be able to have them restrung locally too, but the cost may be much higher.

I think the pearls are lovely. You may enjoy them once lengthened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also if you feel a classic white strand isn’t your style or feels too formal, there are businesses that can use the pearls you have and mix in other types of pearls or beads for a more modern look.

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pearls are never out of style! Also, one never knows when the classic white strand may come in handy.

Any jewelry store or person who knows how to string pearls can add the extras to your necklace. It will require a restringing though, and know that as thread ages it does tend to stretch so when you get your necklace back it may feel a little more taut at first.

Secondly, your earrings are probably an easy and worthy repair. The only possible issue is if part of the post has broken off inside the drill hole. If it has, that makes things significantly more difficult. If it's just a matter of remounting the pearl on the earring post, easy stuff.

You're welcome to post here anytime! The pearl section has the best people I say :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No harn done shortening it before
Our tastes (and necks) change over time

Restringing will be easy
i had a quote recently for NZ $1 /cm (including a clean) but ive seen overseas places quote US$1/ inch

Get those babies restrung and back on your neck asap
a classic white strand is always in style
You just have to get the confidence up to wear it again

but they go with EVERYTHING !
Life is not high school and you don't have to wear what your freinds do !

Pearls are like Transformers - they are hidding in plain site everywhere !

Hopefully the earing post is an easy fix too =)2

Jewlery stores with benches seem to often outsource their pearl stringing to a local person who specializes

The family jewler in your town can probably get a good job done
the phone is your freind in a pandemic !

I think it would be be nice calming work

Remember pearls like to be worn, never tucked away in the dry enviroment of a safe

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi , First of all you bought well, they are very pretty pearls. I'm sure the glue has just given up on that stud. The peg is quite short which is common with pearl findings ( the various bits that are used to create the jewellery) it cuts down the cost by reducing the gold used.

I would consider having the backs replaced with new cups with longer pins. Barring that - it's really easy to reattach the pearl. They just need to clean up the cup - clean the inside of the drill hole and glue it back on.

You can probably ask PP, who have a lot of Akoya , if they will clean them, match however many inches you need, and restring it.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Hi nkc. We love pearls around here, so the answer is no, not out of date at all.

Most pearl vendors would restring the strand and add your 4 pearls back in for a very nominal fee. I had Pearl Paradise clean and restring my Akoyas and I was very pleased at the low cost. Regluing the stud should also be a minimal repair.

You may be able to have them restrung locally too, but the cost may be much higher.

I think the pearls are lovely. You may enjoy them once lengthened.

I would appreciate it if you could show me a close up of the knot between pearls.
I would also appreciate it if you could share more information on how to request Pearl Paradise to restring my necklace. Would they do this if the necklace is not purchased from them? I went to their website yesterday but could not find information about repairs.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Here are the pearls. Hopefully, you can zoom in. I sent them in several years ago. They had a link on their site, but I would suggest calling them or emailing them. They got the Akoya in order and very clean. The knots may look big, but some of these pearls are very small.

20210109_142650.jpg 20210109_143305.jpg

Last edited:

nkc

Shiny_Rock
@molinePDG Thank you! I agree that I got great advice from very nice people here. I'm glad that this is considered easy work/ repair. I don't think that part of the post has broken off inside which is good news.

@Daisys and Diamonds Thank you for sharing the quote you received. This is helpful information and is definitely more reasonable than I expected. It is worth giving it a try to see if I end up wearing it. I agree that I should take it to someone who specializes in pearls.

@katbran Thank you! I did not know that the pearls are glued. I'm sure it is a special glue used for pearls. Would PP work on pearls that are not purchased from them? I don't think I would need to match new pearls since the I still have the 4 pearls that were taken out.

I'm only concerned about big visible knots between the pearls if I have the necklace restrung. Is this something I should clarify to the jeweler or is it dependent on the type of string they use?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@nkc the knot size is dictated by thread size, which is informed by the hole size. It has to be big enough to be a physical barrier.

My blue Akoya are also strung by PP. 20210109_143935.jpg 20210109_143853.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re-fixing is really easy. Make sure all traces of the old glue are removed - you can usually pick this off with a fingernail or pin then add just the tiniest possible dot of gel superglue to the end of the post, place the pearl on the post, give it a couple of wiggles and twists to distribute the glue, wipe off any excess and leave for a few minutes to set. Job done. (get a tube of GEL superglue -easier to control, and get a tube of glue remover too in case you glue your hand to your nose or the gluing goes all wrong)
Knotting is a bit more skilled, but certainly not impossible if you are dexterous and good at crafts.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Here are the pearls. Hopefully, you can zoom in. I sent them in several years ago. They had a link on their site, but I would suggest calling them or emailing them. They got the Akoya in order and very clean. The knots may look big, but some of these pearls are very small.

20210109_142650.jpg 20210109_143305.jpg

Beautiful necklace but the knots are slightly bigger than what I would want. I know that I'm very picky and this is why I try to avoid repairs and alterations.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful necklace but the knots are slightly bigger than what I would want. I know that I'm very picky and this is why I try to avoid repairs and alterations.

Thank you. I would reach out to Pearl Paradise, I am sure they can help you with your wishes.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
@Pearlescence Thank you! I didn't realize that it is this easy to repair the earring. I appreciate the advice. I looked at the pearl and post with a loupe and the old glue is close to being nonexistent. This is probably why it came off soon after purchase (not enough glue). The post is definitely in perfect shape and not broken. Is superglue safe to use on pearls?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nkc Pearl Paradise will work with pearls not purchased from them; liability likely depends on what you need to have done. The new site doesn't seem to be as complete as the old - I'm guessing it's still a WIP. Just call in or chat via the website when they open Monday.

Last edited:

nkc

Shiny_Rock
@Marriedbuteloped it might take a few days but I will create a listing for you (for the item you're interested in) as promised and post a link on Pre-loved. Thank you for being so patient.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They're all pretty much the same

Reactions: nkc
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results