shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a tungsten (or other) wedding band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
I would love some advice from the community.
The big day is fast approaching (less than 2 months), and I''m pretty sure that I want a tungsten band since it is almost scratch proof. ADVANTAGE!

I am also aware they can''t be resized (DISADVANTAGE) so if I choose tungsten I would want to make sure that I choose one from a company that will be there to back up their warranty for resizing.
I am thinking Benchmark is the best choice, since they have been around 40 years they will probably be around for a while.

My question is, would you recommend another manufacturer besides Benchmark?
Would any tungsten ring owners recommend a metal other than tungsten?

A little background: I have worn a titanium watch every day for about 10 years and love it, but it''s very scratched up. I sometimes wear stainless watches but they scratch even more. I wear a yellow gold ring for sentimental reasons but do not like yellow gold, and it''s also very scratched.

THANKS!

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
This is one with a platinum inlay that I really like so far, but it''s Trew Tungsten brand.
Is this a company that will be around?
Any idea what kind of wear a platinum inlay will show?

7MPTLD1.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hi mobius! If Benchmark offers a replacement policy if you need a different size, I think they''d be a great choice. The tungsten itself shouldn''t scratch (the husband has been wearing his for 3 years and it still looks brand new). A platinum inlay would patina just like any other platinum ring and would need to be polished periodically.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have one I bought off ebay. Since it was only $35, if I need a new size, I''ll just buy a new one.

If you like the fancier ones, then going with a company that has the resize policy might be good. Do you know if your fingers fluctuate in size much? My DH has been wearing the same band for 8 years and hasn''t had any size issues.

CamoKitty

Rough_Rock
Tungsten rings are fantastic! My hubby loves his. We got his at Titanium Kay. They have a fairly decent return policy if the sizing doesn''t work out. His ring looks almost exactly like the picture posted, but is all tungsten. He works as an army medic and has managed to put little minuscule scratches on his ring though. But if it was made of any other metal, it would''ve been destroyed.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hijack - Camokitty - lmao at your signature quote. I
emlove.gif
that movie.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 1:19:16 PM
Author: MustangGal
I have one I bought off ebay. Since it was only $35, if I need a new size, I''ll just buy a new one.

If you like the fancier ones, then going with a company that has the resize policy might be good. Do you know if your fingers fluctuate in size much? My DH has been wearing the same band for 8 years and hasn''t had any size issues.

Okay, I am intrigued by the $35 off EBAY.
Did you feel that the quality was comparable to that of the $200+ tungsten rings in the jewelry stores?
This makes me wonder if there is just a huge markup on these things from the brand name manufacturers.

And to answer another post: (MustangGal) No, my ring size has not really fluctuated, but I suppose you never know.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
DH has a RHR off of ebay. I have a travel tungsten ring as well. The quality seems to be on par with his wedding ring.
1.gif

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Cool!
I think I will order a nice one that I found on EBAY for $25.
If I like it, GREAT. If not, it''s just $25.

My next runner up is a TrewTungsten for $1600, so this seems like a great option.

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
My hubby does not have a tungsten ring, nor do I know anyone who has one... but from what I have read on this site I would definitely recommend them to my friends who work with their hands. I love the idea that they always stay shiny and new looking :)

CamoKitty

Rough_Rock
Geckodani - Willow is indeed a great movie
2.gif

We spent $85 on my hubby''s band. Not too bad. For a long while i was debating between tungsten and titanium, but decided that he preferred the denser weight and feel of it on his finger. I personally needed to make sure that the ring could be removed in case of a medical emergency. It''s good to know that both titanium and tungsten can be removed. Another note with Tungsten, you''ll want to see what binding element they used. A lot of companies use cobalt, but people can have allergic reactions to it. Nickel is much better. My hubby is allergic to nickel, but hasn''t had any reaction to his ring whatsoever.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 3:44:44 PM
Author: mobius8

Date: 8/13/2009 1:19:16 PM
Author: MustangGal

Okay, I am intrigued by the $35 off EBAY.
Did you feel that the quality was comparable to that of the $200+ tungsten rings in the jewelry stores?
This makes me wonder if there is just a huge markup on these things from the brand name manufacturers.

And to answer another post: (MustangGal) No, my ring size has not really fluctuated, but I suppose you never know.
I''ve had 2 of the ebay ones, and didn''t have a problem with either. I haven''t really shopped Tungsten bands at jewelers, but mine seem to be pretty decent. Like you say below, for $25, it might be worth a try!

I lost my first one in the ocean (cold water and it slipped right off), so at least loosing a $35 ring wasn''t too big of a deal. I bought a new style in a smaller size and haven''t had any issues.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
mobius - let us know how it turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results