shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a setting for an elongated cushion

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, I would like to thank everyone (especially Gypsy) for all of their help with finding my stone. It has been a long journey to find the perfect stone and now I am at another dilemma, the setting. After months of researching/looking I am torn and having trouble deciding. I was hoping that i would find 'the one" that really sang to me like my stone did, but no such luck. This is an upgrade ring and will not be worn everyday.

When I began looking for my stone I was certain that I wanted a Harry Winston style halo with the pave shank. After pouring through many PS threads and browsing the many recommended vendors websites, I am uncertain of what I want and was hoping to get opinions from other jewelers lovers and people who may own similar settings. I went to local jewelers to try on ring and get a feel for different setting styles.

Here are my thoughts:
1. Although I had not originally thought of this, I fell in love with the pave detailing in the basket/gallery. I know that it adds expense for something that no one really sees. However, it feels really special and I love the way it catches my eye, like a little hidden secret. Possibly even the pave along the sides.

2. I am feeling that given the elongated shape of my stone that a split shank would be more balanced for the proportions of the stone.

3. I love the delicate halos that designers like SK and VC make. I think it takes it to a new level and given the chunky facet pattern of my stone I thought that it would add more scintillation to those big bold flashes.

I have been unable to find exactly what I want, but my top two favorites are:

Casablanca Solitaire or Casablanca with halo in platinum
https//www.stevenkirsch.com/gallery/casablanca-solitaire-rose-gold-diamonds-r0159/
or

Bespoke Ring R-0158 (possibly with a split shank) I am leaning towards this setting slightly because I feel that the millgrain speaks to the antique feel of the stone and like the simplicity of the basket detailing
https//www.stevenkirsch.com/gallery/bespoke-ring-r-0158

My question is should i just pick one of these two, ask SK to merge and create something inspired by the 2 or keep looking? Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated.

I have attached a picture of my stone to show the shape and approximate finger coverage.

img_13127.jpg

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Edit:

I realized that the links were not working, so I will try and post them again.

http://stevenkirsch.com/gallery/casablanca-solitaire-rose-gold-diamonds-r0159/

http://stevenkirsch.com/gallery/bespoke-ring-r-0158/

Really hoping to get opinions from other jewelry lovers, my husband would rather have a root canal than agonize over the tiny details of this with me (LOL)

Love Sk's work and he is spoken of very highly in other threads, but I am open to suggestions.

Thank you again for you input.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, well, I am loving the one without the halo! Sooooo beeautiful! If you want a halo I would ask for SK to add it to this one
(with the split shank).

Or, the other option is to add a split shank to the single shank setting...but I still like the gallery on the split shank one. I would
not do 3 sided pave with a split shank...it just seems like over the top to me...a little too busy.

Both great choices but my favorite (if you dont know by now :D ) is the 0159! :dance:

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Have you tried on some similar styles? Both are beautiful, and I think if you try on a pave split shank and a halo with a similar size/shape, you will know immediately which one you prefer on your hand.

I love your stone! You can't go wrong :)

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tyty333: I know I go back and forth between which one I like the most. I wish I could just get both and swap as the mood struck LOL :love:
Currently leaning slightly to the setting with the millgraining, because I feel like it speaks to the antique type faceting. I agree with nixing the 3 sided pave if requesting a split shank.

Fightgravity: That is part of the problem, local jewelers that I have been to so far have nothing even close to these beauties. I did look at some halos and split shanks, but they were just stock settings so I feel like the proportions are not going to give an accurate representations. My dimensions are 9.7x8.27, so I am feeling that the split shank will feel more balanced as opposed to a delicate single pave shank.

Thank you for the feedback.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Your diamond is fantastic and a split shank is a great choice. Have you considered a tapered shank with a double row of accent stones?

The effect is a little unusual, but can be truly dazzling and a great effect with an elongated diamond.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the delayed reply.

Gypsy: Thank you for your help and you are not kidding her stuff is pricey! Very pretty though.

Hawk: Thank you.

I went this past weekend to another local jewelers. They are not ultra-high end and I am still planning to do a custom piece with one of the recommended vendors, but they had a great selection of different styles which really allowed me to get a feel for the different footprints that a ring will have on my finger.

The outline that really struck a cord with me was https://www.simongjewelry.com/product/mr2414-engagement-ring/ . This is not the setting that I want, but it confirmed that the split shank and halo are on the right path.

The ring that they had on display was a great footprint/finger coverage size - given that the interior halo measured almost exactly the same as my stone. (I want a single halo only, but this gave my a good feel for the overall size that the finished ring would occupy). It was set with 1/2 melee on the exterior halo and I think if done by one of the melee masters recommended here on the forum my stone could even tolerate 1 pointers without feeling like it competes and would still feel like a delicate halo.

The sample ring also had the split shank a little bit wider spread, which I felt suited the longer length.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
i just have to chime in and say HUBBA HUBBA that stone is a beauty!! And i LOVE the Casablanca setting with a halo on an elongated cushion...one of my all time favorite rings on PS has it, and it is slightly smaller than yours...can't wait to see what it would look like on a larger stone! I am sure that even with a split shank it would be sublime...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/steven-kirsch-cushion-halo.186709/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/steven-kirsch-cushion-halo.186709/[/URL]

:love: :love: :love:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Dolly. I agree, I absolutely love his work.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sounds like it's going to be a beautiful ring! Please remember to come back with photos :)

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hey Octo!

Did you ever get your ring set? we need pics! :love: :love:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dollyanjuli - so funny that you ask, I have recently been working on it and will keep you posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results