shape
carat
color
clarity

Help w/OEC and Transitional Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bella44

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I''ve been looking/researching OEC''s and Transitional diamonds for an upgrade e-ring, and I want to thank all of you for your wisdom and sharing info as well as drop dead gorgeous photos of diamonds/rings. However, I''m still at a loss as how to let any sellers know what type of faceting I want to see in the diamond that I buy. I''ve copied pictures of the stones I''ve found online (including here) of what I like. So, first, I hope that FacetFire is okay with using her diamond as an example (copying is the biggest form of flattery after all
19.gif
). So, I really hope that y''all will help me how to find the antique diamond of my dreams! Below are some pics of diamonds that have faceting patterns I really like.

Jan08OECinternet5[1].jpg

Bella44

Rough_Rock
Here is another:

1.00 Transition Cut.jpg

Bella44

Rough_Rock
and another

128OEC5.2143352[1].jpg

Bella44

Rough_Rock
I''m pretty sure that you can all tell the last two pics are from JBEG. Absolutely love her diamonds! However, don''t want to limit myself or rush...ha ha. So, any suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I think you''re on the right track by showing dealers example pics. There isn''t any real established terminology for faceting patterns in OECs etc. If you like both TCs & OECs, you will have a pretty wide variety of goodies to sort through.

The top pic looks like pretty classic OEC patterning- small table, snowflake-y arrows (the arrowheads being huge) and a bit random with the open culet/small table. My two OECs look pretty similiar.

The bottom two are transitional, and have a bit more symmetry and the arrows look more like arrows, a bit smaller heads than OECs would usually have. The result is a pretty checkerboardy look- you see the checkerboard appearance more strongly in transitionals to my eye, though OECs have a pretty blocky looking faceting pattern too. The bigger tables give TCs a more of a... watery appearance, like you can see down into the stone more, is the best I can describe it.

Both styles are lovely. They have a bit of a different character though. A TC, very generally speaking, tends to have a bit more white light return, and a little less fire. My TC has a HUGE table and it still is a very lively, fiery stone- but my OECs definitely are a bit more so. The table glare is a lot more noticeable too. The arrows are somewhat more prominent in the TC- I don''t really see any black or silver arrows in either OEC I have really- the facets kinda blend together more to my eye, and though there''s definitely fat arrows there, they just don''t stand out much. The smaller but still blocky arrows in my TC catch my eye more. And they go black or silver like a RB''s arrows do.

If you buy online make sure you get a return period. You can''t really tell until you get your hands on an antique cut whether or not it''s gonna be gorgeous or just kind of meh. You want to see even edge-to-edge light return with no dead zone in the center. I''ve seen heaps of OECs that have centers that just sit there and all the fire comes from the edges of the stone, which is no good.

Have fun with the hunt!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked out GOG''s new signature OEC''s? I''m not sure what he''s officially calling them now but they are amazing.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the kind words :)

A vendor who specialized in antique stones will be able to look at these photos and assist you in finding a stone with similar qualities. I would also jot down what about these stones you love, for example: strong contrast zones, very symmetrical, what type of facet pattern you like (in your own words, so I might say chubby flowery facets or longer, leaner arrow-ish facets, or a combo of both), etc.

Don't worry too much about terminology - this is something that may also vary from vendor to vendor, and since no two OECs (or Transitionals) are alike anyway, you will be better off creating a list of criteria and when you find the right stone you'll know it. The one thing I would urge you to do is insist on good quality photos and video clips of the stones you are considering - that helps a lot when buying online.

Good luck with your search!

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like a disco ball!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
So pretty!

Just wondering, what words did you come up with to describe the faceting pattern you like?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results