shape
carat
color
clarity

Help visualizing different sized diamonds around center stone

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think I'm going to have the stone below made into a simple flower-like cluster ring, with same-size diamonds surrounding it. The stone is 10.1mm

I remember seeing a template posted once that showed how it would look to have different numbers of diamonds surrounding different sized round center stones. Does anyone have anything like that, or just any related pics? Also how many mm the surrounding stones would be would help.

Other ideas are welcome too because I'm not 100% set on this particular idea yet. So, also whatever else ya got, I guess! Thanks. :)

blue green2.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't help, however, just wanted to say the stone is gorgeous!

A flower cluster would be very big ring even by my standard!

Not sure if this helps, however, here is my 9mm Rubellite Tourmaline in an air line/gap halo with 2.7mm MRBs, and the overall diameter is 19.55mm, worn on my 8.25 US finger.

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DK. Gorgeous ring!

Okay, here's a 10.5mm center stone with 12 surrounding diamonds that total 1.6 carats.

I don't know though, if it's letting the center stone take center stage or a bit boring?

cluster1.jpg

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm going to have the stone below made into a simple flower-like cluster ring, with same-size diamonds surrounding it. The stone is 10.1mm

I remember seeing a template posted once that showed how it would look to have different numbers of diamonds surrounding different sized round center stones. Does anyone have anything like that, or just any related pics? Also how many mm the surrounding stones would be would help.

Other ideas are welcome too because I'm not 100% set on this particular idea yet. So, also whatever else ya got, I guess! Thanks. :)

blue green2.jpeg

Just wanted to say…wowza! This is absolutely stunning!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me personally, this is the inspiration ring for my ultimate flower cluster. I have always loved this setting, and have a 7mm pink Sapphire waiting in the wings for a ring to be made.

I suspect the diamonds would need to be in the 3.5mm mark or may even be larger.

Not certain if I would use LGD or earth-mined diamonds yet, more likely to be the latter as the Sapphire is my most expensive CS to date, re-cut by Jeff W from a stone he sourced for me at Tucson in 2020.

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to everyone so far. :)

If I stick with this design, I think twelve surrounding stones as in the sapphire ring I posted above, is as many as I'd want. Maybe even ten or eight. I haven't been able to find any examples of those so far though.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone so far. :)

If I stick with this design, I think twelve surrounding stones as in the sapphire ring I posted above, is as many as I'd want. Maybe even ten or eight. I haven't been able to find any examples of those so far though.

I can't find one with a centre stone that big either.

DK :confused2:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire will look awesome as a cluster - what a lovely color!! :love:

I’m sure you are aware, but wanted to point out the angle (if any) the cluster stones are set at, will change the look and finger coverage compared to them all at 90deg. As when the layouts are looked at on paper- all facing up.

I put in an image on my (angled) cluster to show how much finger coverage would change with the diamonds being set flat.
E13E3326-8205-4594-B6D1-D6B21800D7AB.jpeg

Just something additional to think about as you ponder your design choices and cluster stone size

Excited to see what you come up with!

Edit-
Something as large as your sapphire - I’d be tempted to halo with oval diamonds set lengthwise instead of round diamonds.
DBL did a blue sapphire like that some years ago :swoon:

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
58EB14B9-ACF2-42AB-B8B1-8EB3F3171A50.jpeg
:love:

Here is the DBL ring I was mentioning.
The sapphire (oval of course, not round like yours) is 11.xx X 8.xx so it’s sizeable
And it’s ‘only’ got 1.25tcw of diamonds in the halo. They’ve got a lot of presence tho!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for switching plans to all who have helped me so far. I just found this thread I started over a year ago and realized it is what I really want, so I'll resume that thread instead. I am not good at visualizing things and it's more risky to have something more unique made but I have plenty of time to work on it. Thanks, everyone! :)

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire will look awesome as a cluster - what a lovely color!! :love:

I’m sure you are aware, but wanted to point out the angle (if any) the cluster stones are set at, will change the look and finger coverage compared to them all at 90deg. As when the layouts are looked at on paper- all facing up.

I put in an image on my (angled) cluster to show how much finger coverage would change with the diamonds being set flat.
E13E3326-8205-4594-B6D1-D6B21800D7AB.jpeg

Just something additional to think about as you ponder your design choices and cluster stone size

Excited to see what you come up with!

Edit-
Something as large as your sapphire - I’d be tempted to halo with oval diamonds set lengthwise instead of round diamonds.
DBL did a blue sapphire like that some years ago :swoon:

I love your ring and would love to see more pics, you have given me an idea for my oval sapphire to set my stones at an angle rather than flat.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ring and would love to see more pics, you have given me an idea for my oval sapphire to set my stones at an angle rather than flat.

Thank you!
Here’s a thread on it

As for mock-ups (not who you asked but I’ll jump in anyways)
I use a free but addridden app called ‘youdoodle’ for the most simple basic things

For doing angled stones, sometimes it’s easier to use ‘Adobe photoshop sketch’.

Hope you share your oval sapphire setting journey with us! Have you shown pictures of it here? I’d love to see it. :)

Last edited:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!
Here’s a thread on it

As for mock-ups (not who you asked but I’ll jump in anyways)
I use a free but addridden app called ‘youdoodle’ for the most simple basic things

For doing angled stones, sometimes it’s easier to use ‘Adobe photoshop sketch’.

Hope you share your oval sapphire setting journey with us! Have you shown pictures of it here? I’d love to see it. :)

1646400957335.png This is it, cut by Michael E, not heat or treatment

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results