shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!Tiffany-style compromise setting??

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
I know there are a lot of threads out there comparing the Tiff-style settings but my question is rather unique.

As mentioned in my other thread, I'm not sure I'm happy with my stone in its current 5 stone setting (although the setting is lovely) because I feel it takes away from the center diamond. I'd like to try setting the stone in a Tiff-style solitaire for a few months to see if I prefer it. I was leaning toward the Vatche U-113, but at $1800 for platinum it's a bit pricey IF I change my mind in 3 months which I am totally apt to do. (See my 9 million prior posts re my complete and total indecisiveness.) Since I obviously can't be trusted, I'm thinking I need to find a cheaper Tiff-style solitaire (and maybe choose WG) that is still proportioned enough like the Tiff/Vatche that I'll have a good idea of whether I prefer that type of setting. Then, if in 6 months I still like it (and what are the chances of that), I can sell the cheaper setting and upgrade to the Vatche.

So, with that in mind, can anyone recommend a Tiff-style setting that is both reasonably priced AND enough like the original that I'll have a good sense of style/proportions? I'm OK if it isn't the utmost quality since I will likely switch it out shortly anyway. So far the Brian Gavin replica is the lowest-price that I've found at $850 for WG. Do you think this would do the trick? Any others to suggest? I'd be thrilled to find a good one even cheaper.

Thanks experts!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you got your stone from OWD! Adam set a 2.6 OEC I was considering a few months back into a 6 prong setting so I could wear it an get a feel for it. Maybe you could drop him a line and see if he has anything that would fit your stone at a lower price point? Maybe also take a look through LT/DB for preloved settings?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could go to a local jeweler and ask them to help you find an appropriate Stuller or Adwar setting to try out for awhile. The setting shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred dollars. Be sure to go to a good jeweler though so the stone will be set into the new setting correctly.

You might also look for used settings on loupetroop or diamondbistro. You'll need to look for a setting that matches your stone size (diameter and depth) however, and that isn't too far off on finger size. And you'll need to make sure the prongs are in decent shape, since prong repairs could add quite a bit to the cost of the setting. That's why I started by recommending a Stuller etc. setting - when all is said and done, it could be less expensive than using a "pre-loved" setting.

ETA there was an absolutely lovely stuller solitaire setting that was floating around these parts a few months ago... I've tried to find it before but wasn't successful. I think though that the person who originally introduced us to that particular setting got it from Old World Diamonds.

Stuller solitaire settings: http://www.stuller.com/browse/mountings/bridal/solitaire/round

The stuller setting I had in mind is in this thread. No product number, though.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-solitaire-setting-for-new-oec.224796/

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Reviving this.... does anyone know which Stuller setting is closest to the Tiffany?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No Stuller setting is close to the Tiffany. If you want to try it in a cheap solitaire temporarily, just get the standard one every jeweler sells like this:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-582.htm

Milllions of people have those as their permanent setting. I would not want to spend more than that for a temp ring.

BUT, if you want to go with one that you might keep long term, then CVB's Jovyn solitaire is the best, in my opinion. I'd definitely choose it over my Vatche if I were choosing now.

goodliferunner

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1479399649|4099793 said:
No Stuller setting is close to the Tiffany. If you want to try it in a cheap solitaire temporarily, just get the standard one every jeweler sells like this:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-582.htm

Milllions of people have those as their permanent setting. I would not want to spend more than that for a temp ring.

BUT, if you want to go with one that you might keep long term, then CVB's Jovyn solitaire is the best, in my opinion. I'd definitely choose it over my Vatche if I were choosing now.

Hi DS! :wavey:

May I ask you why you would now choose the CVB Jovyn over the Vatche? I'm mostly a lurker, but greatly respect your opinion. Thank you for your time!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink from High Performance Diamonds has a
brand new setting (saw it on Facebook) that is very similar to Vatche U-113 (he sells that too) but 2mm all the way around. He said that it has a Mark Morrell quality polish.
Check it out

This is how the claws look

fb_img_1479430207727.jpg

fb_img_1479430996200.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
goodliferunner|1479399925|4099795 said:

May I ask you why you would now choose the CVB Jovyn over the Vatche? I'm mostly a lurker, but greatly respect your opinion. Thank you for your time!

Well, I thought there was a greater price difference, but the CVB ring is just $100 less in platinum at the moment. I will say that the claw prongs she does are beautiful, but she can do tabs, too, like msop's. I think both designs are great and your can't go wrong with either one. I guess it is still worth saving $100, but it's not as great a difference as I thought in platinum.

I had not seen Wink's ring before, and it looks very pretty, too!

I appreciate you kind comments, thank you! :wavey:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1478808609|4096508 said:
You could go to a local jeweler and ask them to help you find an appropriate Stuller or Adwar setting to try out for awhile. The setting shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred dollars. Be sure to go to a good jeweler though so the stone will be set into the new setting correctly.

You might also look for used settings on loupetroop or diamondbistro. You'll need to look for a setting that matches your stone size (diameter and depth) however, and that isn't too far off on finger size. And you'll need to make sure the prongs are in decent shape, since prong repairs could add quite a bit to the cost of the setting. That's why I started by recommending a Stuller etc. setting - when all is said and done, it could be less expensive than using a "pre-loved" setting.

ETA there was an absolutely lovely stuller solitaire setting that was floating around these parts a few months ago... I've tried to find it before but wasn't successful. I think though that the person who originally introduced us to that particular setting got it from Old World Diamonds.

Stuller solitaire settings: http://www.stuller.com/browse/mountings/bridal/solitaire/round

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-solitaire-setting-for-new-oec.224796/

That is this one, Stuller 122004 http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122004/3469092/?groupId=113775#/mounting-options

It's pretty but not Tiffany-like.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
gorgeous!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look up Pinto Bean's setting for Pollo. I think it comes up on the search under Unicorn (or you can call IDJ and just ask for it).

I like it and think it would be a nice setting to try out.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1479445791|4100034 said:
VRBeauty|1478808609|4096508 said:

That is this one, Stuller 122004 http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122004/3469092/?groupId=113775#/mounting-options

It's pretty but not Tiffany-like.

I absolutely love that stuller setting. If I were looking for a budge solitaire setting, that would be my FIRST choice.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Veltiesmom|1478803667|4096445 said:
I know there are a lot of threads out there comparing the Tiff-style settings but my question is rather unique.

As mentioned in my other thread, I'm not sure I'm happy with my stone in its current 5 stone setting (although the setting is lovely) because I feel it takes away from the center diamond. I'd like to try setting the stone in a Tiff-style solitaire for a few months to see if I prefer it. I was leaning toward the Vatche U-113, but at $1800 for platinum it's a bit pricey IF I change my mind in 3 months which I am totally apt to do. (See my 9 million prior posts re my complete and total indecisiveness.) Since I obviously can't be trusted, I'm thinking I need to find a cheaper Tiff-style solitaire (and maybe choose WG) that is still proportioned enough like the Tiff/Vatche that I'll have a good idea of whether I prefer that type of setting. Then, if in 6 months I still like it (and what are the chances of that), I can sell the cheaper setting and upgrade to the Vatche.

So, with that in mind, can anyone recommend a Tiff-style setting that is both reasonably priced AND enough like the original that I'll have a good sense of style/proportions? I'm OK if it isn't the utmost quality since I will likely switch it out shortly anyway. So far the Brian Gavin replica is the lowest-price that I've found at $850 for WG. Do you think this would do the trick? Any others to suggest? I'd be thrilled to find a good one even cheaper.

Thanks experts!

Go on to adwar.com and take a look at style number 26301L. If your local jewel carries Adwar pieces, they can get the correct size for your stone. It's a great, inexpensive setting that wont' break the bank to test drive in 14k, and if you love it they also have it in platinum, 18/Pal, rose gold, etc.

goodliferunner

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1479432056|4099962 said:
goodliferunner|1479399925|4099795 said:

Well, I thought there was a greater price difference, but the CVB ring is just $100 less in platinum at the moment. I will say that the claw prongs she does are beautiful, but she can do tabs, too, like msop's. I think both designs are great and your can't go wrong with either one. I guess it is still worth saving $100, but it's not as great a difference as I thought in platinum.

I had not seen Wink's ring before, and it looks very pretty, too!

I appreciate you kind comments, thank you! :wavey:

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you so much! :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1479450758|4100057 said:
Look up Pinto Bean's setting for Pollo. I think it comes up on the search under Unicorn (or you can call IDJ and just ask for it).

I like it and think it would be a nice setting to try out.
Ahhh... the PB-300 from the Unicorn line!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoqslrrZVx0

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results