shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Solid opal or doublet?

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
I just saw this pendant (when searching google images for a different opal) and the 9k setting reminded of the one in this thread. The opal in the below listing is listed as a doublet. That doesn’t mean the gorgeous opal above is, but I just thought it was a good reference.

Yes the style is similar. I'm going to take mine to my local jewellers and see what they say. Will keep you updated :)

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
I took it to my local jewellers. They said they couldn't tell conclusively without taking it out of the setting, but that it's most likely to be a doublet just because that's more common. I agree that is the most likely case based on the price I paid. I'm going to enjoy it anyway. I love vintage jewellery.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took it to my local jewellers. They said they couldn't tell conclusively without taking it out of the setting, but that it's most likely to be a doublet just because that's more common. I agree that is the most likely case based on the price I paid. I'm going to enjoy it anyway. I love vintage jewellery.
It is a beautiful stone, whether it came out of the ground just like that or has a little help on the backside! And you paid somewhere between “fair” and “deal of a lifetime” for either scenario. I’m glad you’re keeping it as-is :))

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
It's absolutely gorgeous. Personally opal doublets don't bother me at all, as the doublet doesn't change the natural opal, and the backing improves the stability. Fine turquoise is almost always backed for the same reason. Enjoy this spectacular beauty and if you ever think of selling it I am definitely interested!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results