shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Sizing Beads Question

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone! I am asking for sizing beads for the first time on a vintage ring (for both sizing and spinning issues). I asked for flatter pads to hopefully make it more comfortable. Can you look at this pic and tell me if they look like they'll be comfy? I know there's an adjustment period, I'm expecting that, but I've read mixed opinions on shape and comfort.

I'm hoping to give Ivy and Rose the "It looks amazing, I can't wait to wear it!" answer I know they want, but I'd love the opinion of those who are much more experienced than I am. Thanks in advance!

pxl_20220607_154225155.jpg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
It is sticking out way too far, it's not going to be comfortable.

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
It is sticking out way too far, it's not going to be comfortable.
That was my concern, that it's going to be uncomfortable and I'll have regrets. I might see if they can minimize them. Hopefully others with experience with sizing beads can chime in and give me some tips on how to work with the jeweler to make them comfy!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I had speed bumps on my solitaire with my 4 carat cushion- it was not as rounded and was very comfortable. Asset-17.jpeg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don't prejudge. The bumps in the ring you showed may work when a knuckle is quite large and the finger is somewhat thin. You can readily make bumps smaller, but have to do it over again to make them larger. It would be an easy thing to change the large bumps from the photo to lower speed bumps.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those sizing beads do project really far into the shank. And… Are they flat sided and sharp cornered?

It looks to me like they made them extra large to bring ring size down pretty significantly? But unless you’re used to massive sizers I don’t see any possibility of this being remotely comfortable. You’d be better off either reshanking the piece or adding a horseshoe sizer.

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Don't prejudge. The bumps in the ring you showed may work when a knuckle is quite large and the finger is somewhat thin. You can readily make bumps smaller, but have to do it over again to make them larger. It would be an easy thing to change the large bumps from the photo to lower speed bumps.

My finger is actually more like a triangle shape, I think I'm going to ask if these can be converted into something more "speed bump" shaped. The jeweler isn't local to me, so it would be nice to not have a lot of back and forth! Thanks for the input!

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Those sizing beads do project really far into the shank. And… Are they flat sided and sharp cornered?

It looks to me like they made them extra large to bring ring size down pretty significantly? But unless you’re used to massive sizers I don’t see any possibility of this being remotely comfortable. You’d be better off either reshanking the piece or adding a horseshoe sizer.

I'm going from 7 to 6.5, I didn't think that's too significant. I know they said they're still going to be polished, so that might bring down the size a bit? I opted for sizing bumps instead of resizing to help keep the halo strong and give room for swelling (I swell a lot!).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going from 7 to 6.5, I didn't think that's too significant. I know they said they're still going to be polished, so that might bring down the size a bit? I opted for sizing bumps instead of resizing to help keep the halo strong and give room for swelling (I swell a lot!).

Oh. So this isn't actually the final bump size - any judgments on how they look pre-polish isn't going to be accurate. You'll have to wait until they're polished down to judge, then.

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
Oh. So this isn't actually the final bump size - any judgments on how they look pre-polish isn't going to be accurate. You'll have to wait until they're polished down to judge, then.

Good to know. Thank you so much for that insight. I did send them the image above comparing bump shapes and asked if they could be more speed bump shaped. I will say that so far the folks at Ivy and Rose have been lovely to work with. I am so grateful for the experienced insight of everyone here in helping me convey what I'm looking for!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always ask for "sizing cushions" which look more like speed bumps in the image above. They are rounded and not super thin so they don't poke. I really don't ever feel them that way. I'm generally buying a 5.75 to get it over the knuckle, but need the smaller fit for my finger at 5.5. So a 1/4 size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results