shape
carat
color
clarity

Help setting yellow diamond mens ring

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey guys, I bought this little yellow diamond on impulse recently. It's very small but I just love the colour of it. However I'm not sure how to set it, I really want it to stand out from the ring, so I don't want to use too much metal as I am afraid it will get lost in the ring. Does anyone have any suggestions? It doesn't have to be ultra masculine, just not too feminine. I'm hoping for something fun and casual since it's a fairly cheap stone.

It is a FIY 0.28ct 6.27x3.16mm. It is graded I1 by GIA but to me it is totally eyeclean.

Thanks in advance!

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here are the pictures. Sorry they're not very clear, it is so bright that it's hard to get a picture of it.

_4584.jpeg

_4585.jpeg

_4586.jpeg

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No comments on how to set it; but I wanted to say that is a sensational yellow diamond.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
as above!
wow wow wow!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that first one that Farrahlyn posted. It's got enough thickness to the metal to not look overly feminine and will show
off the pear very nicely.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the last one (yellow gold/bezel).
http://www.brilliantearth.com/custom-rings/Horizontal-Pear-Luna-with-Brushed-Finish-1154119/
I would do it white gold/platinum for color contrast.

It is a simple style. Rather than adding metal and thickness to the ring, I would keep it relatively thin (2.5~3mm ish??) and keep the overall theme slightly feminine; pear shape is already feminine. go with it. As long as the stone does not sit too high, it won't be too feminine.

I am a guy. I don't like men's rings with 4mm+ width in general. For me, it is too bulky. Personal preference, of course.

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys, I do like all of those settings. I'm just concerned,do you think my stone will be big enough for that? All those ones look a lot larger than mine.

I found this one, what do you guys think? Maybe if the shank was a little thicker? My boyfriend really likes this one as well. I like that it's a bit more abstract than usual. What do you guys think? And what would be a good size for the rounds? 1/4ct?

_4592.jpeg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mw_thomas|1467411131|4050588 said:
Thanks guys, I do like all of those settings. I'm just concerned,do you think my stone will be big enough for that? All those ones look a lot larger than mine.

I found this one, what do you guys think? Maybe if the shank was a little thicker? My boyfriend really likes this one as well. I like that it's a bit more abstract than usual. What do you guys think? And what would be a good size for the rounds? 1/4ct?

I like that concept; I think it's worth playing around with. Personally I think I'd go a little simpler and eliminate the bottom round - maybe set the pear at more of an angle (pointing away from the center of the design) and incorporate two or more rounds into the opposite arm. Just a thought. As I said, play around with it...

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do like that last setting. With proportionate white diamonds I think it will look quite nice.

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What size diamond/s do you think would compliment my stone?

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can't really guess. In the setting you posted, the larger diamond appears to have a diameter about half of the length of the pear. The smaller diamond feels off to me, and I think it's because it's smaller than both of the others, but doesn't follow the rule of thirds, which will probably be more pleasing. In my opinion, it should be smaller, so maybe 1/3 of the size of the pear. You could forego that one completely, but I worry it will make the setting more feminine, and look more like a moi et toi ring.

You might just have to play with it a little. Maybe buy some swarovski crystals in various diameters and lay them out and see what looks pleasing to your eye.

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I work for a jewellery store and we do have a few smaller diamonds that have been damaged. I could get them for a fairly good price since we can't sell them and mostly it's a little nick in the girdle that could be covered by a bezel. I don't want to spend too much on this ring so it wouldn't bother me that they're not perfect as long as the damage isn't visible.

Do you think there's any way that I could pair this diamond with a second white diamond around a half carat? Are there any settings like that that won't look too feminine?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much are they asking. Is a chip in the girdle the only damage?

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There's a fair few I could pick through, a coworker got a 0.45 round for $250 and it was just chipped. They all have different amounts of damage but most just have a little chip.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm I'm not sure, but if you could get two smaller diamonds ylu could do something like this.

20437-10.jpg

images__2_1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
However, I really like this idea for your stone. Setting it bezel in a signet ring

jemmawynne_1128319606969187115.png

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Mw_thomas, here are a few rings from a search, just for fun. Have you considered a purple saphhire in that ring you've chosen, instead of a diamond since it would make the yellow pop?

47bf050f-27f5-4cb1-a32e-82b2b306eee5.jpg

2e5e7d92-2f00-4730-b7a2-120f80113c60.jpg

9f321cc8-3ac1-4c5b-9fe6-a4e5b7b1c6e9.jpg

5d640f12-5e07-4e86-ae96-bcef530d30b9.gif

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
However, I really like this idea for your stone. Setting it bezel in a signet ring

jemmawynne_1128319606969187115.png

I ended up using this for inspiration, thank you for that. I decided this would look better as a pendant and I played around with some ideas and eventually arrived at this. I decided to use a fancy vivid round diamond instead, it's 14 points. I used 925 silver and 18K. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering I made it myself. Thank you all for the help. Still not sure what I'll do with the pear, but I am using different stones in my next project.

IMG_1422.JPG

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is just fabulous you made great design choices.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! Keep us updated on what you decide to do with the pear :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Yellow diamond! :love:

phancynan

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results