shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Setting my Yellow Topaz

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Hello!
I would love some help setting this little yellow topaz. It's my 40th Birthday gift to me. l'd love to make it into a right hand ring. The topaz is 100 years old and was found amidst other long forgotten gems. I love it's back story. I am looking for ideas on how to set it and I am fond of the art deco period. The picture is from the original seller. I will also try to add a link to a video she took. My budget is pretty limited. I've worked with David Klass in the past and he does amazing work, but don't want to spend more on a mount than I did on my gemstone. Thank you in advance for your ideas! 20181112_212922.jpg

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Here is a link to a video the seller took for me.

Reactions: AV_

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
It's a bit late for me to think of setting ideas atm (I'll get back to you in this!), but I love your stone! Such a cute, old cut. Almost like an OEC in topaz. Love the little culet. :)

Are you planning on setting it in yellow gold to play up the yellow? Any diamonds/other stones, or just the one topaz? And what are the dimensions?

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
It's a bit late for me to think of setting ideas atm (I'll get back to you in this!), but I love your stone! Such a cute, old cut. Almost like an OEC in topaz. Love the little culet. :)

Are you planning on setting it in yellow gold to play up the yellow? Any diamonds/other stones, or just the one topaz? And what are the dimensions?

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Thank you @elliefire99! That's exactly how the seller described it, similar to an OEC. Here are the dimensions Weight: 0.87 ct
Dimensions: +/- 5.30 mm diameter, depth 4.25 mm. I'm unsure about gold. Would rose gold look nice? I appreciate your thoughts! :wavey:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
If you don’t mind sharing a ring design with a couple of us, let me recommend this setting from Ivy & Rose. It’s the setting with a blue sapphire in the first post. Further down the list, @Dee*Jay shows it off with an OEC, which is absolutely gorgeous. It’s made for a 5.5mm so I imagine 5.3 should work.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-ivy-rose-mdz-filigree-room-jewels.244302/

There are more designs in their Etsy or eBay shop (which goes by mydiamondzone) and they are known for vintage/antique styles.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don’t mind sharing a ring design with a couple of us, let me recommend this setting from Ivy & Rose. It’s the setting with a blue sapphire in the first post. Further down the list, @Dee*Jay shows it off with an OEC, which is absolutely gorgeous. It’s made for a 5.5mm so I imagine 5.3 should work.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-ivy-rose-mdz-filigree-room-jewels.244302/

There are more designs in their Etsy or eBay shop (which goes by mydiamondzone) and they are known for vintage/antique styles.

Great suggestion!!

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock

Thank you so much for your suggestion @peacechick I’m on their site going crazy over their semi-mounts. I would love sharing a ring design with you lovely ladies. Both you and @Dee*Jay have gorgeous rings. You all inspire me every day with your beautiful pieces. If I bought a semi-mount from them would I ship them my stone and have them set-it.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone, I've got a Brazilian Chrysoberyl with that cut.
Is your stone from Brazil?

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty stone, I've got a Brazilian Chrysoberyl with that cut.
Is your stone from Brazil?
Thank you!! It reminds me of a little flower. I don't know if it's from Brazil because the seller bought it from someone else.

Here is what I do know from the seller, "I got the gem in a parcel of antique (all really old "new old stock") from a German jeweler friend of mine (I am German/Swiss myself) who is now retired. He bought the gems some 30 years ago from the firm Dr. F. Krantz in Bonn, Germany, when they were liquidating their fine gem stock. Thanks to the faceting and polishing style am able to date most of the gems rather clearly to about 100 years of age, some are probably even a bit older. I got many of the gems boxed up in historic little gems jars made of cardboard."

This is all I know, but I love that my little topaz has this much history. :kiss2:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for your suggestion @peacechick I’m on their site going crazy over their semi-mounts. I would love sharing a ring design with you lovely ladies. Both you and @Dee*Jay have gorgeous rings. You all inspire me every day with your beautiful pieces. If I bought a semi-mount from them would I ship them my stone and have them set-it.

You could ask them to set it or you could have them ship you the semi-mount and ask your local jeweller to set it. Not sure what the costs would be like so you might want to ask around.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Indeed... See this: www
So pretty. Thanks for sharing it. I took the yellow topaz out today since I've been contemplating it's future. It's definitely more buttery yellow than bright yellow. Because it's a paler yellow I'm worried the white gold will wash it out. I'm starting to thing it would look prettier in yellow or rose gold. So now I'm not sure what to do. :think: I love all those beautiful mountings at Ivy and Rose but don't see many in gold or rose gold. Anyone have info on where to find rose gold or gold semi-mounts?

Reactions: AV_

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have different colored gold jewelry (bracelets, chains, rings) lay your stone out next to each colored item (if you have no rose gold, use a penny). Take pictures. Review the pics. Post them here. Sometimes what you THINK would look best, might not be the “one” for your stone.

Examples of my current setting dilemma (one pic in each color- not the hundred pics I have actually taken) :lol-2:
B10E0086-C496-4812-B63F-EFF4EC0FFC01.jpeg 16CF5B45-32B1-4738-9CFE-30C9002F438F.jpeg 74743064-7622-4301-9DDB-0572802C2C06.jpeg

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
That is an excellent idea! Will need to do this...:)

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
If you do decide on yellow gold and you still like Ivy and Rose send them a message, I think they can do different metals on request.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
If you do decide on yellow gold and you still like Ivy and Rose send them a message, I think they can do different metals on request.
Thank you for this suggestion I just messaged them and they have confirmed they are able to do different metals.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I took the advice given to me by @ringo865 and photographed my topaz with different metals. It's a small stone so it was a tad hard to do with my phone. I took a photo with flash and without since in the photo it was hard to see the Topaz. What are your thoughts? White or yellow gold? 20181116_112703.jpg 20181116_111741.jpg 20181116_112538.jpg 20181116_112054.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The white metal looks really nice. Not sure whether it’s the lighting, but the yellow metal kinda camouflages the stone.

What do you think?

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... Normally not a fan of white metal with yellow stones, but in this case I think the stone is yellow enough to hold its own! I agree that it seems to blend too much with the yellow gold (and I love yellow gold!).

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again @ringo865 I'm really glad I followed your suggestion. I feel like a ping pong going back and forth lol. Because after seeing it, I also agree that the white metal compliments the topaz better. Thanks for your thoughts @elliefire99. The yellow does blend too much and the stone gets lost in all the yellow.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
:roll*complements

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Digressing,

I have hardly heard of pure hue yellow topaz & not for lack of trying. @Wink ? (tentative CC)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I had not thought that it might not be topaz.

If you are not sure, sapphire does seem more likely to me.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't topaz naturally (golden) yellow? I think I read somewhere that it can be treated to be more yellow and less brown/orange.

Hard to tell from the video, but is there double refraction? (When you look at the facet lines, they seem to reflect and multiply). That would indicate that it is likely topaz. I think.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I only know what the seller told me: that it's a Topaz. I have zero knowledge on how to tell what stone is what.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
chryso-vend0.jpg

This is my Brazilian Chrysoberyl, the cut looks so similar.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
So pretty! Have you set it yet? If not what what are your setting plans?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I missed the part about it being a pale yellow. White gold will be better for pastel shades, in my opinion. They stay true to their original tone and isn’t altered by the color of the gold setting. You could also do mixed metals if you like the look.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not yet, still hoarding gems :lol:
It's 6mm (1.13)ct and will be set with 4mm white sidestones (probably CZ) as a 3-stone pendant( East-West orientation). I have another Chryso, an oval, that will be set as a ring the same way although as a ring, not a pendant/necklace.

chryso.png

I will probably use yellow gold, to enhance the colour of the Chryso. I tried more expensive alternatives to the side stones like white Sapphire and Moissanite (off-white) and nothing suits better than the high quality CZ. They are perfectly white and free of any inclusions which means they sparkle a lot more and don't carry the yellow from the gold, they stay white when set in gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results