shape
carat
color
clarity

Help reading IS/HA (digital version)

badaren

Rough_Rock
Asked the vendor for an IS/ASET and got sent these. Unfortunately, he said this is the only images he is able to provide and cannot sent IS/ASET. I haven't looked at too many HAs but when I have they were of the actual stone not a computerized version. Can you determine light performance strictly w/ HAs? Not sure what to make of it. Diamond is a 34/40.6/56.

b.jpg
a.jpg

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These H&A images confirm good symmetry. The shading discoloration in the hearts are odd.

For light performance you need a true idealscope or ASET image to determine.

Shallow crown and shallow pavilion may or may not be an issue. Looks like GIA stone based on values you shared. Hoping actual, and not averaged/rounded, pavilion angle doesn't drop below 40.5.

Might be worthwhile ordering and testing with your own ASET scope. Then keep or return as necessary .

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
These H&A images confirm good symmetry. The shading discoloration in the hearts are odd.
Diamcalc does that at times.

If he can provide those images he can provide diamcalc created IS/ASET images.
Make sure they were made using scan data and not entering numbers in DC.

badaren

Rough_Rock

Shallow crown and shallow pavilion may or may not be an issue. Looks like GIA stone based on values you shared. Hoping actual, and not averaged/rounded, pavilion angle doesn't drop below 40.5.

Might be worthwhile ordering and testing with your own ASET scope. Then keep or return as necessary .

Yup it is a GIA stone. Sorry, it is a 35, not 34 CA! I wondering if the PA drops below 40.5 because it is not symmetrical. Sounds good, I'll purchase an ASET scope. Unfortunately I am not in the trade so have to pay full price for an ASET, is the cheapest from datlas?

badaren

Rough_Rock
Diamcalc does that at times.

If he can provide those images he can provide diamcalc created IS/ASET images.
Make sure they were made using scan data and not entering numbers in DC.

This is from FourMine. They said that they cannot obtain ASET from their diamond cutting partners.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is from FourMine. They said that they cannot obtain ASET from their diamond cutting partners.
Blow their minds and ask for the .gem (gemadvisor) or .dmc (diamcalc) file and upload it.
If the computer diamcalc generated hearts and arrows images are available they have the rest of them and many make the files available also.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup it is a GIA stone. Sorry, it is a 35, not 34 CA! I wondering if the PA drops below 40.5 because it is not symmetrical. Sounds good, I'll purchase an ASET scope. Unfortunately I am not in the trade so have to pay full price for an ASET, is the cheapest from datlas?

I bought mine directly from AGS for $25 + $13 shipping = $38 total.

However, a few months ago AGS decided to make it $50 for non-members. :wall: Annoys me to no end. You'd think they would want everyone to own an ASET and demand AGS reports as the premier lab report for cut quality. But whatever.

So yes, I'd probably buy through David Atlas and add a few other goodies while doing so and take advantage of combined shipping. But that's just me.

The crown being 35 vs 34 is a big deal, at least to me. That steeper 35 crown will throw a little more rainbow light (fire) than the shallower 34/40.6 combo that will slightly favor white light return. I prefer fire to white light so I find that good. YMMV.

The concern with the pavilion is still there. At 40.5 and below you can start to get leakage.

Assuming the vendor did scan the stone and has all data files @Karl_K mentioned then maybe we can see actual values for all 8 pavilion facets instead of the rounded/averaged value on the GIA report.

badaren

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately they said unable to provide those files :cry:.. Looks like I'll have to buy an ASET scope and take a look for myself.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond should not have significant light leakage under the table based on the H&A images.
It appears to have minor digging, which may or may not bother you.
If you are ok, are you able to share the link for the stone, as long as the stone is reserved?

badaren

Rough_Rock
The diamond should not have significant light leakage under the table based on the H&A images.
It appears to have minor digging, which may or may not bother you.
If you are ok, are you able to share the link for the stone, as long as the stone is reserved?

Hey, sorry I tried looking for the listing and they took it down after I purchased it. I've read about digging, but do you think it'll be a noticeable difference? Thanks.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, sorry I tried looking for the listing and they took it down after I purchased it. I've read about digging, but do you think it'll be a noticeable difference? Thanks.
Under normal viewing? No.

badaren

Rough_Rock

hey @sledge, is the good symmetry on H&A view a good indications that the individual PAs are symmetrical and does not drop?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding digging, it is FYI. It is there and it should not bother you.

Regarding PAs, if any of PAs were significantly lower than 40.5, the image would have shown more white/contrast (eg extra white around the arrowheads). Both hearts and arrows are looking good. The stone should not any obstruction issue.

badaren

Rough_Rock
Regarding digging, it is FYI. It is there and it should not bother you.

Regarding PAs, if any of PAs were significantly lower than 40.5, the image would have shown more white/contrast (eg extra white around the arrowheads). Both hearts and arrows are looking good. The stone should not any obstruction issue.

Thank you, that is good to hear! I was worried because I could not get a true idealscope or an ASET. I plan on making my own ASET to inspect it at home, do you think that should be sufficient?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results